Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art Event in Galway Museum

Options
  • 07-07-2009 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

My name is Christina Mullan. I'm an art student taking part in the Ealaoín at Lunasa festival in August. It's being run by the Galway Arts Centre in conjunction with the hospital and the city museum. My proposal was that I work on-site as a photographer, taking photos of the visitors to the museum. I have the proposal included below to give an overall idea about the project. The photos, when displayed will be hidden around the museum, encouraging visitors to interact with the building differently. I also set up a bebo page (www.bebo.com/snappedatmuseum) foreign visitors to view their own photo and to get in touch with me.

As a civic building, I think the museum belongs to everyone and the more people I can get interested and involved, the better. I'm working in there from 10-5 on this Thursday 9th July.

Ealíon at Lunasa Proposal

As the Ealíon at Lunasa call stated that the exhibition is intended to be a ‘celebration of Galway artists,’ I wish to physically engage with the potential exhibition viewers. I would like to work on-site in the Galway City Museum for three days photographing the people who visit the space there. I will use a digital handheld camera to take portraits of the public and, upon photographing them, will print a sticker stating ‘I was snapped at the museum today.’ In exchange for this sticker and interaction, I will ask the subject to give something in return to me – a joke, a ticket, a thought, a poem, a chat-up line, an insult. These photographs (printed in matt and ranging in size from 4x6, 5x7, 6x8, 8x10 and passport sized) and tokens will form the basis for my part in the exhibition. I wish to place the various mementos around the museum. My intention is to get people to engage with the museum in a different way upon returning to find their photograph (if they have been chosen). The original photography session would take place a number of weeks prior to the exhibition, giving me time to collate both the images and the owner’s tokens. The listing of imagery would read like a treasure map, allowing other members of the public to interact with the work and as a result, interact with the museum differently. I would choose thirty-five final pieces to be shown with original memento.

My intention is to get both tourists and the people of Galway to look again at our museum and realise the potential the building has. I have visited the building many times with this project in mind. The museum has gained the reputation of a white elephant. I believe that it is an interesting and worthwhile space and that maybe by getting people to interact and look irreverently at the building, a new relationship will form.

Advertisement