Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spirit guides - do you believe in them?

Options
  • 07-07-2009 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭

Right,so what do people think of the idea of everyone having spirit guides? Do you think you have one or a few of them? Some sources say a person can have several and others say that someone never has more than two at one time. What do people think? I suppose theyre a bit like guardian angels if u would tend to think of them that way, but they say that spirit guides are rarely deceased relatives of people. Ever get a sense that someone or something is looking out for you by giving u a nudge inwardly now and then? That sort of thing ?

Apparently,how spirit guides differ from the likes of angels is that the guides have lived lives on earth but angels have never incarnated. I dont know much about angels,tbh, but the guide thing seems interesting enough.
    And spirit guides arent supposed 2 live peoples lives for them - they provide a helping hand if people are quiet and listen to their 'inner voice'.

So what are people's takes on all of it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

They seem a bit like mini-gods don't they?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I don't know and don't particularly care if they are angels, spirits, gods or god-like, aspects of me or Ignatius Loyola. :) They just are. Yes, I do have a belief in them, but each persons understanding of what they are is personal, imo.

I think you could have more than two, but I cant see the need for a large entourage of 'em. As for leading your life for you, in my experience they nudge, but don't steer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Overblood wrote: »
    They seem a bit like mini-gods don't they?

By all accounts, God is separate (even though they say that God is in everything)but I suppose the right way to put it is that the guides are an extension of God,that theyre servants of Him, and they guide people on earth to ensure they stay on their life's path for that particular lifetime. Depends on whatever lessons they have to learn. It's like they make sure that each person lives out their allocated time here,whether that be 2 years or 78 years of survival,as part of the overall goal of developing the soul so that everyone can 'come home' to God as pure spirit. Although people are only human wit human feelings and experiences,grieving over the apparently premature death of someone would be easier 2 handle if the bigger picture was kept in mind. Anyway, supposedly that 'ascension process' can take dozens of lifetimes to achieve.

I think its interestin how some people have said that the here and now is actually Hell and that the reality and Heaven is the other dimension - that all of this right now is a soap opera illusion,but most people are better off not keeping that in mind all the time because theyd miss out on gettin involved in life and doin their 'soul work'. It's been said that there isnt any time or space frameworks on the 'other side'- at least not the kind that could be categorised or understood from a human perspective..

Oryx wrote: »
    I think you could have more than two, but I cant see the need for a large entourage of 'em. As for leading your life for you, in my experience they nudge, but don't steer. :)

There can be a temporary surplus of guides if someone is goin through a certain experience that's important or very challenging, and theyll leave again when that life experience has passed. but theres always the one Master Guide that never leaves a person's side throughout their life.

i suppose even 'bad' or evil people have guides but theyre so damn entrenched in negative human behaviour they arent taking heed of what better actions they should be taking. Like,the earth plane is a negative plane that the soul of a person is either swamped by it or has collected wisdom from other past lifetimes that enables them 2 rise up above it.. then again, some people might need to be a murderous fecker for this lifetime because the cause and effect of pain are things they need to learn,whether they realise it at the time or not. Not that thats a get-out clause for being a w@nker to people

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Yunalesca

I've always been into angels and was surprised years ago when I heard about 'spirit guides'. I had heard of them before in relation to the Native American culture but never in the western culture.

I first heard of them via Doreen Virtue. I bought her fist pack of angels cards and do readings often. However after she released her other packs such as 'messages from the Archangels' and 'Messages from Fairies and Dolphins' I began to become uncomfortable.

I think we've come to an age where we can pick or choose just what spirits can surround us. I've even read texts which suggest that our spirit guides and guardian angels are actually the same thing, where the spirit guides are relatives who have passed over and have chosen to watch and guard over us.

I do know people who believe, 'this is hell - we move onto heaven' but I think that just gives people an excuse to shirk their responsibilities in life. For example, 'this is hell anyway, no use in trying. Life is always a struggle.'

Personally I'm not too sure about Spirit guides though I'm fascinated by the idea and I love how the west is busy going about picking and choosing from the buffet table of other culture's religions!

Sorry for the long post btw!! >>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Personally, I do believe in them. I also believe in past lives, and believe that for some people our guides can be people we were with in prior life times, but this isn't necessarily true.

I do sense them and angels, giving me some guidance every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

i sense the guidance now and again, but not sure where its coming from!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

As it happens, I'm part Native American (Choctaw tribe of Oklahoma), and I believe that spirit guides are your ancestors watching over and guiding you. Whenever I feel I've entered a place that has the potential to become spiritually volatile, I ask my spirit guides/ancestors for protection.

That's about the extent of it. I haven't gone on any quests to contact my spirit guide, although it does sound interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Im in two minds about this.
    On one hand I think spirit guides may be just self-created anthromorphisms of what we call our intuition.
    On the other hand is the question,what tells us to make certain choices when our logic doesnt give any direction.This could be yet another mystery of the subconscience mind or like so many claim, a guiding spirit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

They're probably demons trying to trick people, judging by the nonsense a lot of them talk.

• Advertisement

They're probably demons trying to trick people, judging by the nonsense a lot of them talk.

Are you inferring that the demons are talking nonsense or the people who are being "tricked" by the demons are talking nonsense, or both?

Have you come to this judgement/conclusion of yours as a result of your own first-hand experiences, yeah? I'd like to hear more.

The posters who have responded to this topic so far have all spoken about being given benevolent guidance of some sort. Whether that's nonsense or not - and it isn't in my interests to bother my hole 'deciding' for certain what it is, because I'm not them - it's clear that it's making them more content.

I don't know if you've ever read anything about demons, An Fear Aniar, but demons aren't famed for directing well-intentioned "nonsense" at people's minds that ultimately enriches their lives. Demons are products of The Devil/Satan, who takes wild delight in human misery and destruction; basically anything at all that runs contrary to the goodness God espouses.

That's if you 'believe' in all of that, of course...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

I don't have any first hand evidence to offer other than my instinct that people should be cautious in dealing with anything from the spirit world.

A lot of the problems people have when dealing wit spiritual things, imo, comes from their own intention. If you approach it because you seek something powerful or in anger, then I can see you having problems with it. Move into it with honesty and love, and I find thats what you get back.

I used to fear spirit and boy, was it scary in return. As soon as I let go of that fear (and my own ego as my motivation) the scariness and threat simply vanished.

I see spirit as something outside of me simply cos I dont think I could be that wise and clever. :) But I cant be certain it is, I actually wonder if what it is, is beyond my understanding. But I do think that if your your motives are pure then there is nothing at all to fear from it. But then my perception of what evil is may differ a lot from others here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭snowy2008

Are you inferring that the demons are talking nonsense or the people who are being "tricked" by the demons are talking nonsense, or both?

Have you come to this judgement/conclusion of yours as a result of your own first-hand experiences, yeah? I'd like to hear more.

I went to one of these so called mediums and I can say that i will never darken any of these so called readers again, its a load of rubbish and if they are hearing anything its from demons, its just a money making scam, avoid like the plague,the mediums i went to were well advertised on this site, never again

teresa2008 wrote: »
    I went to one of these so called mediums and I can say that i will never darken any of these so called readers again, its a load of rubbish and if they are hearing anything its from demons, its just a money making scam, avoid like the plague,the mediums i went to were well advertised on this site, never again

Well, this isnt a thread about good mediums or crap mediums, or instances where demons might be having regular chats in the heads of crap mediums. This is a thread about spirit guides and how every 'ordinary' Joe or Josephine Soap is said to have them.

This rubbish medium/mediums you went to - what was his/her/their name(s)? By naming them on here,you can help other people avoid them in future. If you have some issue with naming them, just type their initials instead. It's good when someone is honest and says that so-and-so was sh!te. Can you extrapolate further on how they were all rubbish? Did it seem like they were fishing for info from you or what?

This is not a thread about mediums, theres other places for that. Stick to the topic lads. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

Mediums usually work with their spirit guides... as far as we're told..
    Do we all have spirit guides? I don't know
    What exactly is a spirit guide? I don't know either.

Some say they are your guardian angel, others say relatives who've passed on,

Mia Dolan in the UK uses her spirit guide Eric, and she just says he's always been there, and got to know him, but isn't a relative or any thing.

There have been moments in my life where the "going got tough" so to put it, and I've felt that some one was with me, very strong signs, and I do believe its a relative whos passed away over 20 years ago. Could that be my spirit guide? I'm not too sure.

Not to sound too whacky or any thing - but some one is there, and has told me to get out of a situation on many times. luckily i heeded, I wouldnt be alive now if i didn't. So it's all very interesting, any one have any other explanations, I'd love to hear them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭AMIIAM

Very interesting topic, and reasonable arguments/debates, which is healthy. I strongly believe there is an unseen force at work on a perpetual basis. Call it Angels or Spirit guides. Does it really matter? But, in reallity, we all have free will. You will eventually be judged ( by yourself) of decisions of your own choosing while you were a mere earthly being. After all, we are all here for some reason, good or bad.

Advertisement