Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any good Pike fishing locations in the Munster Area

Options
  • 07-07-2009 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi
    Just wandering is there any good pike locations in Munster, just took up this kind of fishing after years of fly fishing an I'm hooked.

Tired of fishing the same location and would like to try someplace new
    :):)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Some very big fish in Lough Derg this year, with loads of good spots between Killaloe and Mountshannon, plus some good prices on boathire in the area.

Lure fishing generally is best if you are only up for the day and you want some action in the time you have, but if you are going to make a weekend out of it, then there are some monsters to be had with deadbait.

Lots of feral brownies up to the 18lbs mark there also that will hit hard when you are trolling.

There are some great smaller lakes in East Clare, that produce plenty of pike in the 12 to 20lbs range, with a few sneaking over the twenty mark.

Just below Killaloe on the Clare/Limerick border, there is Sixmilebridge which is a good all round stretch for coarse fishing with a really good bream population, and plenty of pike in the area too. The higher number beats are best for pike there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭thefinner

Kess73 wrote: »
    Some very big fish in Lough Derg this year, with loads of good spots between Killaloe and Mountshannon, plus some good prices on boathire in the area.

Thanks Kess

Some excellent tips there

Thanks again and will certanily check out L Derg for a weekend

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭beer enigma

thefinner wrote: »
    Hi
    Just wandering is there any good pike locations in Munster, just took up this kind of fishing after years of fly fishing an I'm hooked.

Tired of fishing the same location and would like to try someplace new
    :):)

There's an old disused reservoir in Ballincolling, Co. Cork that can provide some good sport - access isn't great, but if you're lucky it can provide a great days sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭thefinner

Andip wrote: »
    There's an old disused reservoir in Ballincolling, Co. Cork that can provide some good sport - access isn't great, but if you're lucky it can provide a great days sport.
    Thanks Andip

I fished the river running behind there and often looked down into that lake but could never figure out how to et into it. Might have another look

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Andip wrote: »

hmm, i never knew of the place. but I have aplplied the googlefu and got a location, and some positive reviews of the place. but not much in the way of advice.

could you offer any?
    best place to park or way to the water? times? weather? tactics? bait?

im coarse fishing retarded btw, i do all my fishing in the sea but should be able to wrestle a half decent coarse set up together.

split shot before a size 8? steel trace and a dyed blue herring? float near the surface? swimfeeders? any advice is appreciated

• Advertisement
Advertisement