Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland on foot: Ask Seamus how long does it take to get somewhere thread

Options
  • 07-07-2009 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

How long do ya reckon it would take to walk around Ireland?

Not literally walking along the coast (avoiding all those fiddly bits around Kerry and Galway but at least passing through every county that has a coast.

And how much would ya say it'd cost, keepin' in mind there would be a tent on yer back and all the camping stuff? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

17 years and over 6 billion Yen give or take

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

According to Google Maps, walking through pretty much every major town/city near the coast will take about 1200km. Assuming you walk at 6km/h and walk for roughly 10 hours per day, you could expect it to take you 20 days. Factor in food at roughly €30/day, lodging @ €50/night, it'll cost you €1600.

</thread>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Can ya not just rent a campervan like everyone else or are you Ronan Keating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Too long...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not sure you can walk all the way. Start with a few hill walks along the local coast and see how you fare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

sorry... couldn't help it.

/makes mental note
    leave thread titles alone

bold Rabies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

seamus wrote: »
    According to Google Maps, walking through pretty much every major town/city near the coast will take about 1200km. Assuming you walk at 6km/h and walk for roughly 10 hours per day, you could expect it to take you 20 days. Factor in food at roughly €30/day, lodging @ €50/night, it'll cost you €1600.

</thread>

I think you could do it for less money, but I'd want to spend a bit longer doing it.

I'd really like to do this actually. Just to say that you did if nothing else. It's not stupidly expensive and it wouldn't take forever.

Hmmm....
    Not a bad Idea at all OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

seamus wrote: »

</thread>

How long would it take to walk around Ireland's coastline if every day you were chased by a dog at 35% faster than your normal walking speed for exactly 2 hours and 22 minutes but then at night after all the running you're so tired and in such a deep sleep that you don't wake up when someone comes along and carries you, your tent and all your gear backwards 50% of the distance that you'd covered that day and then changes the signposts round so that when you wake up you spend an hour going the wrong way as your orienteering skills are poor?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

i always though id like to to drive it around the coast of Ireland ( when i retired) ...never fully worked out how long it would take, or how you do it ..but i think it would be a great trip..dividing it up in to small sections ..for example wexford to Waterford in one day stay a few day around Waterford then head to cork.... and so on till you arrived back where you started form...i love the coast of Ireland and you be seeing something different every few days...you could mix and match where you stayed ...i think it would be a fantastic thing to do...probably take you 3 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭callig

Wazdakka wrote: »
    I think you could do it for less money, but I'd want to spend a bit longer doing it.

Walk slowly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dinter wrote: »
    How long would it take to walk around Ireland's coastline if every day you were chased by a dog at 35% faster than your normal walking speed for exactly 2 hours and 22 minutes but then at night after all the running you're so tired and in such a deep sleep that you don't wake up when someone comes along and carries you, your tent and all your gear backwards 50% of the distance that you'd covered that day and then changes the signposts round so that when you wake up you spend an hour going the wrong way as your orienteering skills are poor?
    http://www.calculator.com/calcs/calc_sci.html

Advertisement