Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Aldi Wetsuit, 9/7/09

Options
  • 07-07-2009 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hey All,

Just wondering what you guys make of this suit for sale in Aldi this week,

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2827_9737.htm?WT.mc_id=2009-07-06-20-16

Adults L/S Wetsuit,
    Quality wetsuit for surfing, kayaking or water-skiing.

* Neoprene
    * Anti-slip, rubber-coated chest panel
    * Full-length YKK zip (Black)
    * Flat-lock stitched seams
    * Available in: (Ladies’) Aqua/Grey, (Men’s) Blue/Grey
    * Sizes: (Ladies’) M, L (Men’s) M, L, XL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭MarkHobBray1977

without being smart....not worth looking to TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭tophurler

That's no prob! honest opinions is all I want cos I havent a clue what to look for in one of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

imho depends on how much you use it. Dont see what thickness it is but if your out once or twice a year it should be fine if your out once or twice a week it wont last pissing time but for E40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Many of their other suits are often sourced from the same Asian factories as some of the branded suits available. Effectively they are stock that was over produced for these established (and more expensive) brands but are rebranded and sold on cheaply to the lidl/aldi/walmart etc chainstores.

This certainly applies to the diving wetsuits which they often sell. Branded Pegasso for Lidl/Aldi while they are effectively Northern Diver products. Quality is comparable in most cases. I'm sure the same applies to their "surf" gear in many cases.

One issue however might be ensuring that the fit is correct as I imagine Lidl would probably have issues with you stripping down, putting a a couple of suits on and doing pop-ups up & down the ailes.
    As fmcc says above it depends on what you intend using 'em for.

I think many would probably have a bigger problem with being seen in a Lidl wetsuit rather then an expensive Ripcurl, Bodyglove, O'Neils etc etc but then that way of thinking is bullsh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

I got a Lidl one a few years ago.

First time I used it it was great.

Second time it leaked EVERYWHERE
    (and it looked silly Cecil :P)

I'd say go for a top of the range suit from a cheap (but reputable) brand. The most expensive Alder or West suit in the shop.
    Should be about €150 but you aren't paying for the brand so much.
    This is summer suits only though, can't beat a good O'Neill 5mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭MarkHobBray1977

OP ..its nothing to do with labels etc...its just a crap suit !!!! ...send a few quid extra on a better suit....cheap alder or such like

hope you get sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

i would not recommend an aldi suit for surfing period and im not being smart!!! If a top end suit costing 99e is out of your reach for now and you need a suit for surfing see if your local surf shop has any older stock for a better price... if they do you will have something much better...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

As budget suits goes I got a Sola summer suit about 4yrs ago and it's lasted alot better then many of the more established brands budget suits. I've been very impressed by its durability compared to my more expensive winter suits.

John in Sunset Sail in Sligo offers them at very good value, other suits, alders, Xcels etc at reasonable prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

suits definately dont last as long as they used to anymore!
    this is becuase superstetch suits eventually lose elasticity.... though when surfing id happily trade duration over flexibility and that said i had an o neil physco 2 thats still on the go 4 years on though its no where near as good as it was day one...

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Hope ALDI are paying people 40 euro to wear the suit... whatever about the Technical aspects of the suit... it looks cat...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

As a splash and dash suit there not bad they some what do the job but, in cold water's there not exactly the best...
    Regardless of what or wear there made.

Its down to the quality of neoprene

you take 3 mill rip curl classic (example) cut it open and but a magnifying glass to it ule see lots of little air bubbles these are what heat the small amount of water that traps its self between your skin and the suit, On the aldi/lidil suit's
    there are far few bubbles in a square centimeter.... then other make's.

The thing you gotta remember is the quality of neoprene to, while good manufacture's use the best they can find depending on price, the neoprene in aldi/lidil suits is used usually for insulating pipes..

Don't get me wrong for a little sprog playing in the sea its fine, but for surfing Id say save an extra 40 euros and see whats on offer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

Got one last year as i was taking up surfing. Was fine once, twice... by the third time the neck was gaping, as were the sleeves, resulting in a gush of cold atlantic water down your back/arms every time a wave comes near ya. Not recommended. Buy cheap and you will buy twice. Ended up buying an exel twords the end of the summer, and worth every penny (so far!).

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

Theres an old post here that discusses these suits
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055331410
    I got a 5mm 3 years ago from aldi and I'm still using it -it's fine and I've been out in the winter. Depends on how it fits you really. If you're warm enough and comfortable who cares what you paid

Advertisement