Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoe shining

Options
  • 07-07-2009 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

Just got a great pair of leather shoes and need some advice in relation to dubbin. Does one just apply it to the shoe as one would apply shoe polish? Also, if I use one can I use the other too? For example, can I polish my shoes after I finished applying the dubbin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

It'll depend on the shoe polish. If it's a high wax one, or lanolin based one you should apply it, then shine it, then dubbin over that to seal/waterproof the shoe, then can polish it up again. If it's a watery one with a lot of colour in it, apply that, then the dubbin, then shine. Basically polish > dubbin If you apply it the other way around depending on the shoe polish the dubbin will basically not allow the colour in the polish to take.

If you have a leather cream knocking around, apply that to the crease of your shoe (your instep down to above your toes) before the above steps, it'll stop the shoe taking a crease so easily when you walk. :)

Advertisement