Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Close call...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Creationism is neither science nor a fully fledged theory and as such has no place on a science exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

silly to mention creationism in a culture as secular as the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Húrin wrote: »
    silly to mention creationism in a culture as secular as the UK
    So it should only be mentioned in a theocracy? Strange, its almost as if it doesn't stand up to scrutiny...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Article wrote:
    She (a spokeswoman) said pupils were not taught creationism as a valid scientific theory but that it would be strange not to mention it when discussing Darwinism.
    This is ridiculous. Is it strange that they don't mention the holocaust deniers case when going over WW2 in history class?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

They should teach that it isn't science and that it has in fact been proved wrong as much as a thing can be proved wrong, and actually explain why it is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

This is a good story. Someone screwed up a science paper and so many people rightly complained straight away that it was changed. Hurrah, the system works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Zillah wrote: »
    This is a good story. Someone screwed up a science paper and so many people rightly complained straight away that it was changed. Hurrah, the system works!

I'd have to wonder how the question got on a paper in the first place. Surely they would have a simple process in place where, when they frame a question, they ask "Now, where is that covered in the curriculum?".

Sounds like someone was messing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

I think misleading is a poor word choice. If they put a cooking question on an engineering exam, they would use words a lot stronger than misleading. A creationism question on a science exam is just as out of place.

It's very strange, isn't it? The reaction to this is good, but I can't understand what it was doing on a science exam in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 John_Dillinger

Jammy, you've no idea what you're talking about

• Advertisement

Great first post. It's mysterious. I like that.

To be honest, you're probably right. I try to bluff my way through a lot of conversations, and usually it works... But you caught me. Damn.

That may be because i know you very well...

Awesome, this just got more interesting. What's it like being a stalker John? Satisfying or just frustrating?

Edit: Hahaha! His only other post is about HIS GUNS. Look out Jammy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

Moral of the story:
    Exposing kids to creationism in exams has the same reaction as exposing kids to sex on tv.

This is a good story

It's a lil crazy

Interesting...
    Edit: Hahaha! His only other post is about HIS GUNS. Look out Jammy!

I just saw that... That's a tad bit worrying alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

It turns out John Dillinger is a fugitive bank robber, -JammyDoger- have you made any enemys in the american midwest.

Edit: Seemingly he died in 1934, so it's probobly not him. That's my detective career over.

TheManWho wrote: »
    Edit: Seemingly he died in 1934, so it's probobly not him. That's my detective career over.

Vicious lies!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

JD - This is one of your friendly mods here. You've produced four posts on this thread which were so free of any discernible worth that Terry Eagleton could have written them. One more vacuous musing and I'll be reaching for my cards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

fitz0 wrote: »
    So it should only be mentioned in a theocracy? Strange, its almost as if it doesn't stand up to scrutiny...

I agree, creationism does not stand up to scrutiny as a scientific theory.

I mean, in a secular, multicultural society, there is no reason to expect most of the students to be familiar with the Biblical creation story. I suppose at least in a Christian theocracy this could be expected.

robindch wrote: »
    JD - This is one of your friendly mods here. You've produced four posts on this thread which were so free of any discernible worth that Terry Eagleton could have written them. One more vacuous musing and I'll be reaching for my cards.

I happen to find the critiques of Terry Eagleton to be quite fascinating, i particularly enjoyed his book "The Meaning of Life".

Advertisement