Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exporting outta Logic

Options
  • 07-07-2009 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭

My Recording Guru Rupert has just posted some info on his site , LogicToolbox.com regarding the different ways of exporting from Logic.
    Might be of interest to some Brudders ....

"Logic Exports

I have recently had a run of files delivered incorrectly and to this end I have decided to devote a page to properly explaining the different exports and there merits and short falls

1.Bouncing via the master bus. This is useful for bouncing your mix or bouncing guide mixes with items muted. Such as main vocals. This is not ideal for bouncing individual tracks even when they are solo locked as it is not only via any plug in but also via any antinuation and the master bus.
    2.Track as Audio File Or All tracks as Audio Files. This is under the export menu. This exports bar one files post all plugins but prior to the fader. I.E. as if the fader was set to unity.This is useful for sending files to another user to be mixed in another program. Although care must be taken to ensure that the files dont peak. Check this by going to OPTIONS/AUDIO/and clicking pre fader metering. If any levels peak, either insert a gainer and reduce the level or turn down an inserted plugin. If the integrity of the audio plugins are important put the gainer last. This still involves the track going through a certain amount of number crunching. Also this will only export one track on each channel so take care if you have multi vocals on the same channel.
    3.Region as Audio File. PREFADER PREPLUGINS. If the integrity of the original file is paramount and you would prefer the file to bit for bit represent the original file this is by far the best method. This is also the best way if the files intend to be prought back into logic for mixing at a later date. In order to use this method, for bar one files, each channel must have all of its regions merged. When merging audio for this I create a tiny blank file that starts at bar one on each channel so that, when the audio for that channel is merged, it will start at bar one. If you wish to keep the files unmerged as well simply copy the track prior to merging and mute the version that is not merged for later. I then rename each merged file to something sensible. ALWAYS NAME THE REGION BEFORE EXPORTING I normally include an abbreviated version of the song title and what the file is. I.E “myway_leadvoxtotune”. Then I choose “Convert regions to new audio file.” It will then ask me where to put the files and bingo you’re done. Apart from checking the files! Basic law of physics If you check them, they will be right and not need checking. If you dont they wont. Very boring I know and this law of physics multiplies when you’re over worked! "
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭woodsdenis

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    My Recording Guru Rupert has just posted some info on his site , LogicToolbox.com regarding the different ways of exporting from Logic.
    Might be of interest to some Brudders ....

"Logic Exports

I have recently had a run of files delivered incorrectly and to this end I have decided to devote a page to properly explaining the different exports and there merits and short falls

1.Bouncing via the master bus. This is useful for bouncing your mix or bouncing guide mixes with items muted. Such as main vocals. This is not ideal for bouncing individual tracks even when they are solo locked as it is not only via any plug in but also via any antinuation and the master bus.
    2.Track as Audio File Or All tracks as Audio Files. This is under the export menu. This exports bar one files post all plugins but prior to the fader. I.E. as if the fader was set to unity.This is useful for sending files to another user to be mixed in another program. Although care must be taken to ensure that the files dont peak. Check this by going to OPTIONS/AUDIO/and clicking pre fader metering. If any levels peak, either insert a gainer and reduce the level or turn down an inserted plugin. If the integrity of the audio plugins are important put the gainer last. This still involves the track going through a certain amount of number crunching. Also this will only export one track on each channel so take care if you have multi vocals on the same channel.
    3.Region as Audio File. PREFADER PREPLUGINS. If the integrity of the original file is paramount and you would prefer the file to bit for bit represent the original file this is by far the best method. This is also the best way if the files intend to be prought back into logic for mixing at a later date. In order to use this method, for bar one files, each channel must have all of its regions merged. When merging audio for this I create a tiny blank file that starts at bar one on each channel so that, when the audio for that channel is merged, it will start at bar one. If you wish to keep the files unmerged as well simply copy the track prior to merging and mute the version that is not merged for later. I then rename each merged file to something sensible. ALWAYS NAME THE REGION BEFORE EXPORTING I normally include an abbreviated version of the song title and what the file is. I.E “myway_leadvoxtotune”. Then I choose “Convert regions to new audio file.” It will then ask me where to put the files and bingo you’re done. Apart from checking the files! Basic law of physics If you check them, they will be right and not need checking. If you dont they wont. Very boring I know and this law of physics multiplies when you’re over worked! "

GOOD INFO

I have always used no 2 to do this. You learn something new every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭tweeky

Always option 3 as it's faster on Logic 7 TDM, option 1 if i need to print a TDM plugin.

Advertisement