Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing a PLC course as a mature student - What do they want to hear in the interview?

Options
  • 07-07-2009 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

Ive recently turned 25 and want to start a PLC course as a way into a 4 year university course.

the problem is I have been working in the IT industry for over 6 years but I actually want to study horticulture.

Is there still actually any chance of me getting a PLC course in horticulture without having any work experrience and coming from a 6 year background in the IT sector?

On one of the forms im filling in it says "why do you want to take this course", The truth is I have always been a bit interested in horticulture (specifically the science end of it) and I just wanted to wait until i was a mature student to decide what to study. However would this be sufficient to put on the entry form?
    What "key" things are colleges looking for on the entries from mature students that have no work experience in their chosen course?

The same question goes for the interview's they conduct aswell?

Any help/advice appriciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yes, write why you want to do horticulture giving details - that you're interested in the science part and where you expect this course to take you - that you will follow on to 3rd level education.

With these applications it is better to put down more than less as the selectors will get a better idea of you and what you want to get out of the course.

Most mature students go back to study a completely different career choice so don't worry about that. Once you can show the college that you have an interest in the subject - from work experience, reading, hobbies, volunteer work and have a commitment to the course - know all about the course, the hours, where it will take you, ability to support yourself; you'll be fine.

Getting into PLCs normally isn't has hard as mature applications to 3rd level, although it does depend on the course. See this as a test run to next year and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Thanks for the info.

Well im hoping that at the end of the PLC I can use that as entry to 3rd level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Was 23 last year applying for plc course and i just told them i needed it as opposed to just wanting it...Do some research and most importantly stay calm and happy:).....Best of luck

Advertisement