Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Arctic Monkeys

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

I was completely underwhelmed by that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mr. Razzcocks

Not liking the new sound i've heard from live versions :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

I'm really liking it, well-structured, smart lyrics as ever, interesting rhythms, all good for me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

yep its pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

Sounds good but not pulling me in tune wise just yet. Hope its a grower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

I like it. Nice beefy rhythm section. Alex's voice has matured a bit too. The solo reeks of josh homme's influence (he co-produced the album)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

I think it Sounds GREAT! Josh did a savage job with them, can really hear it in the guitar tones and backing vocals and the melody structures. Its got a much more mature sound. Its got a real 'like a drug' vibe to it.

I rekon the faster tunes on the album will be fking MEAN! Cant wait for this now

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sparkzter

like this, love the darker, more meaty sound. gonna be a class album.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

I've heard it a couple of times now, not really impressed but it might be a grower, it takes about 2 mins to really kick into life, really looking forward to the album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭thatone!

I really like it :D Can't wait for the album to be released!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Baile an Locha

I was very underwhelmed,its a good song but not by arctic monkey standards, I was waiting for the part where i'd go,wow, but it never happened. Such a disapointment. Hopefully the rest of the songs will be alot better

• Registered Users Posts: 14,429 ✭✭✭✭cson

I was very underwhelmed,its a good song but not by arctic monkey standards, I was waiting for the part where i'd go,wow, but it never happened. Such a disapointment. Hopefully the rest of the songs will be alot better

Tbh after the raw energy and biting lyrics of Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not all their subsequent work has been a let down.

Overhyped but still one of my favourite bands, I love their stuff with the first album being in my top 3 favourite albums, not a tune I wouldn't listen to on it and there aren't many albums that do that to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FredBaby!

it's true its different but i think its gud! how sick would we get of them singing about scummy men and mardy bums all the time especially when bands like the enemy are doing pretty much the same thing (albeit poorly.)

its great to see a band grow-you can see how they have matured but thankfully havnt lost their egde. Alex turner is probably the best song writer around, in my opinion! and he's pretty darn hot too! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

FredBaby! wrote: »
    it's true its different but i think its gud! how sick would we get of them singing about scummy men and mardy bums all the time especially when bands like the enemy are doing pretty much the same thing (albeit poorly.)

its great to see a band grow-you can see how they have matured but thankfully havnt lost their egde. Alex turner is probably the best song writer around, in my opinion! and he's pretty darn hot too! ;)

I think this album is going to be big if this song is anything to go by. Ye its sounds a bit different but it's still the arctic monkeys and like Fred said if was the same old from them what's is to look forward to..so ye class song nice video aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dazco

You could tell that they were heading this sort of direction when they released Favourite Worst Nightmare. I love how they're letting themselves evolve musically and not just releasing another Whatever people say.... Actually i don't they could do another one of those, lyrically anyway, can you imagine alex going to a nightclub and NOT being able to to get any girl he wanted? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭cerebis

not really a fan of the album tbh... lyrically it may be good but melodically/sonically it really isn't... 6/10....

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Paud.....

was a massive fan of the first two albums.......mostly because the songs were lively and i dont think im gonna be too into the new album "Humbug".....ive heard songs on youtube....not impressed unfortunatly.....the songs are very slow and confusing!!..lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Third album hasn't grabbed me like the first two, instant likable songs but the third is very different to the other 2. Its taken me a while to get into it but its growing on me, alot more mature compared to the first album.

Josh Homme is the producer on this album, some heavy drumming - can hear a bit of Queens of the Stone Age in there allright..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,429 ✭✭✭✭cson

exiot wrote: »
    Josh Homme is the producer on this album, some heavy drumming - can hear a bit of Queens of the Stone Age in there allright..

Tbf the Arctic's drummer is one of the best in the business - playing to their strengths. What he does in The View From The Afternoon is incredible. You could just listen to the drumming alone on the first album.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

cson wrote: »
    Tbf the Arctic's drummer is one of the best in the business - playing to their strengths. What he does in The View From The Afternoon is incredible. You could just listen to the drumming alone on the first album.
    dead right.some of the best drumming ive ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

The new album - or what Ive heard of it at least (bout 6 songs of the 10) are quite bland. Very hard to pick out any major hits from it, or even anything that they could play live and get a great reception from.

Loved the first album, enjoyed the second, but feel that they're entering Killer's teritory with this one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

think its woeful stuff altogether, crying lightning is terrible - im very disapointed after a classic debut and a better than decent follow up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

I like crying lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

I'm loving this album. Obviously a lot different to what they have done before but still very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Anyone heard their cover of Red Right Hand? Like their stuff, but it's a bit iffy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The third album isnt quite as pick-up-and-listen as the first two but it dosent mean its not a really good album. There are are a few dodgy moments, the spelling thing in "Dangerous Animals" most noticeably. But the album as a whole sounds better with repeated listens, a bit longer than the previous albums.

"My Propeller" is a great opening track with the hypnotic guitar. Standout tracks are "Secret Door" "Pretty Visitors" (with a pretty clever image in the chorus) "Cornerstone" (fans of the first two albums would take to this IMO) and "The Jewellers Hands" (lyrically probably the most impressive track on the album)

Brave album and IMO it works, but i can see why it might not be for everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

I'm likin it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭R.Shackleford

Their sound is just getting darker and darker...just imagine what the 4th or 5th album will sound like!!

Advertisement