Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yay or Nay BMW 1 Series

Options
  • 07-07-2009 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

Have a keen eye on a BMW 1 series 1.6 petrol 2005.

Prices seem to be €9250 to €12k. Whats the general consenses on these? They drive well and last as well as a 3 series?

Any nice links for me to look at would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The BMW for people who can't afford a proper one.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Appleguy

I think €9K would get me a nice 3 series but i don't want to pay €614 a year in tax

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

IMHO... think they are a big waste of money....
    very expensive for a car of that size and class... much better options and better prices for Golf's and Focus's.... both IMHO drive better and are better cars all round than the 1 series 1.6..

here's some review from average joe soap not motoring journalists..

http://www.roadtestreports.co.uk/road-test-reports/BMW/1-Series/

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

mike65 wrote: »

What nonsense. It seems to be the consensus that the only "proper" BMW has at least 2.2 litres and 6 cylinders.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Drove a diesel and a petrol (1.8). Diesel was like a rocket and economical.
    Petrol felt slower and drank petrol very quickly.

Get the diesel.

• Advertisement

Appleguy wrote: »
    I think €9K would get me a nice 3 series but i don't want to pay €614 a year in tax

road tax on the 1 series is €428 a year.... not a huge difference... and defo worth it for a 3 series over the 1 series

I've just sold a focus and i dont want to be beige and get a VW Golf like everybody else.

Are there any other 1.6 alternatives for the same price i should be looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

My wife drove one from new, 2005 to 2009. We both loved it. It was the 116i SE with sports suspension.

Fantastic little car in my view.

robtri wrote: »
    road tax on the 1 series is €428 a year.... not a huge difference... and defo worth it for a 3 series over the 1 series

Ye they will hit me on the insurance aswell though. Only 22.
    4-5 years no claims but its still expensive enough.

What are the 1.9 and 2.0 3 series like on petrol/diesel? 50MPG?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Are you one of those ...

Oh hang on ... i left my phone out in the Beeeeamer...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

craichoe wrote: »
    Are you one of those ...

Oh hang on ... i left my phone out in the Beeeeamer...

Absolutely not. I drove a 3 series recently and the difference between it and my first two cars is astonishing. That would be the reason i would go for one. Very comfortable.

I've just sold a focus and i dont want to be beige and get a VW Golf like everybody else.

Are there any other 1.6 alternatives for the same price i should be looking at?

plenty... all depends what you like... all these are available in 1.6, all have pro's and cons

Alfa 147 9K will get you a good choice, 2005

drop a year, you can pick up an A4 1.6

bargain hard and you should get a nice 2005 civic..

you can also get a 2005 hyundai coupe.....

a very nice motor a 2005 mazda 3

not my cup of tea a mini??

mitsubiishi lancer/imprezza ?? vectra both 2005 in 1.6

drop a year and you can get a nice 407 1.6HDI unit...

Plenty of laguna's around...( but there a reason for that :))

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

Lots of better alternatives out there - mini???

Not a great car by any stretch and as Mike says you'll be seen as a 'wannabe but not quite'.

robtri wrote: »
    Alfa 147 9K will get you a good choice, 2005

drop a year, you can pick up an A4 1.6

bargain hard and you should get a nice 2005 civic..

you can also get a 2005 hyundai coupe.....

a very nice motor a 2005 mazda 3

not my cup of tea a mini??

mitsubiishi lancer/imprezza ?? vectra both 2005 in 1.6

drop a year and you can get a nice 407 1.6HDI unit...

Plenty of laguna's around...( but there a reason for that :))

Wouldn't drive an Alfa have a thing about trusting their reliability.

2005 is the lowset i'd go as i just sold a 2005, not going backwards.

I like the new model civic but they only come in 1.4 and 1.8 as far as i know. Not mad about the 2005 model one.

Have arranged to view a 2006 hyundai coupe but i'm unsure as to whether it will be big enough.

No way in hell would i drive a mini.

My mate has a lancer and he is forever getting stopped by the gards so i wont be going for one of those or and imprezza.

Would never buy peugeot again.

bladespin wrote: »
    Lots of better alternatives out there - mini???

Not a great car by any stretch and as Mike says you'll be seen as a 'wannabe but not quite'.

I don't really mind what i'm seen as. As long as the car is comfortable and reliable and 1.6 with a good price, i'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

My sister has a 116i SE. Weird thing is she could have afforded a 3 Series for the money, but because she couldn't park a car if the surrounding 17 spaces were free, the 1 Series was ideal.

Bit of a silly argument really, as the person who spends 30k on a new 1 Series could have a 1 year old 3 Series for the money, or a 2 year old 5 Series.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭quattro777

Had a hire car in Germany last month.
    Ugly, poor rear legroom and a useless boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

quattro777 wrote: »
    Had a hire car in Germany last month.
    Ugly

That's a matter of opinion so not really a worthwhile comment to the OP I think
    , poor rear legroom

I can't argue this point. If I was driving it, it's fine, but as a passenger, especially in the back, it's very small.
    and a useless boot.

Disagree here as well. It was far more than adequate for myself, the wife and the kid, even fully loaded.

Overall I guess it all comes down to personal opinion, but as the OP is considering one I think we know where his opinion lies.

I had no hassles with mine (OK the ECU went but BMW were more than happy to cover that (2005 model and was out of warranty).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

I don't really mind what i'm seen as. As long as the car is comfortable and reliable and 1.6 with a good price, i'll be happy.

Golf or A3 so :D Better prices, better reliability, plenty to choose from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I can see how the 1 series would appeal over the able but deathly dull Golf and A3. BMW DNA runs through the 1 series, and if you can live with the looks and shortage of space it makes a much more enlightened choice than the competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

OP I dont know if its just cool image you are after but IMO nothing is cooler at the moment than a Fiat 500. They dont rub people up the wrong way and they look great. Now I can also tell you that Fiat Ireland have done some deals with a few traders around Dublin who have bought all of what is left their stock . 500's are part of these deals and you are going to see brand new pre-reged 500's around very soon in non Fiat dealers and a greatly reduced price. They might just fit your budget. Just an idea. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Saab Ed wrote: »
    OP I dont know if its just cool image you are after but IMO nothing is cooler at the moment than a Fiat 500.

That is one wicked car. I saw one in Rome in 2007 and fell for it. Frank Stephenson the guy who designed the R50 MINI launched in 2001 was the same person who did the 500, so you can see the similarities.

OP, have you considered the 116d? Same engine as the MINI Cooper D - does 72mpg according to MINI, but I've seen 85 on one. Plus 104 to tax for a year.

Advertisement