Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else looking?

Options
  • 07-07-2009 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Howdy,

I sold my old camper this time last year and have been occasionally keeping an eye on any classified since then. Once carzone stopped advertising campers I kind of lost interest but I've since discovered donedeal.ie (thanks to this forum) and have been monitoring that the last couple of weeks.

The summer weather and the number of vans on the road has brought back the itch and with a 3 month old baby at home a new van is looking like a nice option.

Anyhow, whats surprising me is the number of vehicles that appear to be coming on the market, anyone else keeping an eye out and notice this?

I remember carzone last year might have an updated camper maybe once or twice a week but donedeal appears to have vans coming on at a rate of two or three a day at the moment :eek:.

Great for the buyer, I was hoping to convert a merc sprinter but there are some tasty offers out there which will probably get better.

Just musing....

Ray.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Well, let's face it ...a campervan is an expensive hobby.

While tax is cheap and insurance is bearable, the cost to buy in relation to the usage you get out of it is best not calculated or you get a fright :D

My reckoning is that a lot of people sunk quite a bit of money into purchasing a (expensive) camper over the last few years that they could now do with and they are trying to release that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Too true.

I like to think 5-10 years in advance, will the van cover my requirements for that amount of time versus the money put in. I got 5 years from my last van and reckon I saved money on it with the amount of use ;).

So I'll continue keeping an eye on it, some crazy variation in prices out there, 20K could see you decide between a 1992 Kraus Traveller versus a 2000-2002 something or other :-) I think the toughest decision would be parting with the cash, maybe a horse and cart would be a better investment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

Yea ive beem watching the sites for the last 6months myself,and my reading on it is that they seem to have dropped around 6/9 maybe 10 grand in the last 18mts or so,but they have bottomed now i think.

The way it seems to be is that for say 23/27grand you are looking at 99/00/01 6 berths but if you want to pay 30ish you can get antthing from 05/06 or even 07 in some cases.It seems to be the time to buy but not the time to sell,some people are under to much pressure financially and they have a camper sitting outside worth alot of money and find it hard to justify it sitting there.....so its a matter of priorietys....

Advertisement