Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info on English, Media and Cultural Studies course

Options
  • 07-07-2009 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hello,

I've just joined and this is my first post... so I hope I'm posting it in the right forum etc?!

I was wondering if present or former students had any feedback on the English, Media & Cultural Studies course in IADT? I've just been offered a place.

I was hoping to get info on the kind of areas they've gone into afterwards and what the course was like? (I'v studied the prospectus etc of course but would love some real feedback - because I will be going back as a mature student so it'll be a big move for me).

I'm hoping things will have turned around in four years so there will be many different options... even if there aren't now.

Any feedback on the course and possible jobs would be so appreciated.

Thanks,
    Yer Wane

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

The IADT website lists that past graduates have gone onto Journalism and Teaching and a ton of other stuff.

With the variety of subjects on offer within the course it might be the case (as with a lot of the courses in IADT) that you push yourself into areas that will facilitate your enjoyment of the course and employment at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DeeKaySee

Hi,
    I did a year of that course in 2001/2. I hear it's much evolved since then. First year was 99% english - a combination of lectures (most lecturers pretty good) & tutorials - We had just one class on film and another on pop culture.

It wasn't for me but I stayed in touch with the others who completed the course and they loved it.

There is a massive amount of reading material on the course and library was very understocked at the time so it'd be worth while investigating if the library has been improved since.

I actually still have most of the books - the anthologies aren't updated too often - so get back to me if you end up getting in to the course. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Yer wane

Rhyme and DeeKay thank you so much for your comments, I appreciate the feedback a lot.

DKS - I will definitely be in touch regarding books if I need them.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Jellah_bean

hey I'm heading into this course in september...anyone else got their place yet? I'll be the one with the pink hair :):o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Insanesomeone

Woo got my offer! See you there pink!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 emmahade

hey i got my offer for eng, media & cultural stuides... has anyone info on accommodation in the area?..:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Insanesomeone

Check out daft.ie

That's the only tip I can give!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Lloydface

I got in too, I'm big and beardy :D

We should get an EMCS house going!

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭oinkely

Hi folks,

There is an accomodation list available on the IADT website : http://www.iadt.ie/en/StudentAccommodation/StudentInformation/Thefile,1723,en.pdf

And Yer Wane, IADT has a careers service where you will get the information that you are looking for : http://www.iadt.ie/en/ProspectiveStudents/CareersOffice/

See you all in September

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Hey folks,

Offer accepted, and looking forward to it! I'll be the one with the long hair, beard and a fixation with all things creative! See you there big n' beardy, and Pinky!

~Inari,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Dorce9

Can't wait to start :D

I'll be the small, ginger dude :D

@Yer Wane, nice to see someone else from Newbridge is going up, do we know eachother?? haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Yer wane

I'll be the one with a zimmerframe Dorce9 so I doubt we know each other! Deadly that a fellow bridgehead is heading up. Looking forward to meeting ya'll sometime next wk...

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭skywayavenue

got my place too, see ya's all there!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭asdfgh86

Finished this course myself, It's actually a very good course overall. Pm me if you're looking for books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 NamNamNam

Hey,

Im also doin' the course,actually pretty excited it seems interesting and the college is really nice.

I was a good 4hrs late for reegistration,so i joined another class.
    Just wondering did i miss much? :)

Hope to see ye around!

Advertisement