Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice over offer please! :(

Options
  • 06-07-2009 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Hey all
    Need some advice or opinions here!
    After my interview as a Mature Student in May, i got offered a place at a local college. I started the course years ago and didn't like the college experience so I dropped out.
    I like the course but i only applied locally because i was living with the BF and didn't want to be away from him all week. He was the only thing keeping me local. I hate my hometown, have no friends remaining here, hate going out in it, it's just a boring town with nothing to do.
    But me & the BF split up in early May and i changed my CAO and added courses in Dublin (where i want to go to college and live), based on my Leaving Cert points and after communication with the colleges.
    Today I got the official early offer of the local college and i'm so upset. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, honestly. I just know I've messed up again.
    If i accept this course i'll be doing something i don't feel 100% about for 3 years. If i decline it i'll have to wait until next year to apply again and i'll be nearly 30 :(
    How do the offers work? Is it possible to accept the offer but still hope to get another offer? Or if i accept now will that cancel other offers i might have??
    Sorry for the rant and thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Skapoot

If you accept i think it cancels out other offers... Id say ring cao and see what the buzz is, theyre the only people who'd know what you can do about it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

If you don't accept the offer you may get your 2nd, 3rd choice etc. in round 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 racemaker

Accepting an offer cancels out all your lower place choices, so if this course you have been offered is your 1st choice then it will cancel out all the others, if it is lower down your list though then you can accept it and still wait for offers from the ones above it, ie if it is you 3rd choice you can wait to see if you get offers from your 1st and 2nd choices.

From a personal point of view, if it was me, I would turn down the offer if you aren't 100% about it and aim for the ones you really want to do. You could apply again for them next year if you don't get in this time around and you never know what might happen, maybe do something else in the meantime to increase you chances.

It doesn't sound to me like you will be happy at all in an area you don't wish to be and on a course you aren't sure about.

Advertisement