Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test: 6-month waiting period

Options
  • 06-07-2009 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi,

Im sure that this is a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. Do you know the way, back in the day when the driving test waiting lists were really long, you could get your company to write in saying that you need the licence for work, and your time on the waiting list was drastically reduced. Well, I was wondering if something similar can be done for the fact that you have to wait for 6 months after your learners permit to do your full test? Is there any way around it?!

I currently live far from where I work (4 hrs round trip) and Im looking for a way to travel. The fact that you now need a full licence holder to accompany you is a pain.

Are there any other categories where you dont need to wait for 6 months (other than motorbikes)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

why dont you tell them you will be on standby for any cancellations and just be prepared for your test when they call (usually a day or twos notice)..... guaranteed to get your test faster than 6months .... or goto a different test area.... ie. rural area - not as much of a queue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭darcy.jonny

firstly i tried that whole company letter idea years ago and it didnt have to much affect on the liscence .
    the reason for the six months would have to be six months experience .... not just a wait time .
    the guards arent really enforcing that law about the lerner permits as far as ive gathered , theres still thousands of lerners on the road unaccompanied ... i think its a case of getting done for it if your driving dangerous etc.

apart from a motorbike what other way could you possibly travel the 4 hour trip ....... forklift ......... tractor .......

edit: if you dont have any experience btw trying to rush trough you test will only lead to you failing it , its not an easy test by any means for some1 starting out

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Thread moved to "learning to drive"
    paulo6891 wrote: »
    The fact that you now need a full licence holder to accompany you is a pain.

The fact that people were allowed drive on their own was absolute madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

PCPhoto wrote: »
    why dont you tell them you will be on standby for any cancellations and just be prepared for your test when they call (usually a day or twos notice)..... guaranteed to get your test faster than 6months .... or goto a different test area.... ie. rural area - not as much of a queue

I assume the OP is on their first learner permit and as such have to wait 6 months before sitting the test.

OP there's no way around the 6 month rule. As for some of the other categories, like Cat C, you need to have a full B licence before you can get a learners permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

Thanks for your help everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the guards arent really enforcing that law about the lerner permits as far as ive gathered , theres still thousands of lerners on the road unaccompanied ... ......
    Headline in the independent today was that the Guards have caught 6000 learners for either not having L plates or not being accompanied.
    Fine for not being accompanied is minimum 1000 euro for first offence and 2000 and 3000 euro the 2nd and thried time you are caught.

If they had fines AND detection like that for tailgating on motorways and talking on the mobile while driving then the roads would be much much safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

Yeah but you can drive a moped with just a learner permit.

Although, I value my life so wont be going down that road

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Is it possible to apply for the test before the 6 month period has expired ?

I.e Apply at say 5 months, as the expected waiting period can be up to 6 weeks, therefore by the time the 6 weeks are up you would be eligible for the test.

Or do you have to wait the 6 months before you even apply ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 MacAttack84

as far as i know you can apply before the 6 month period is up, just as long as you have your provisional license for 6 months when you are taking the test you're all good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Is it possible to apply for the test before the 6 month period has expired ?

I.e Apply at say 5 months, as the expected waiting period can be up to 6 weeks, therefore by the time the 6 weeks are up you would be eligible for the test.

Or do you have to wait the 6 months before you even apply ?

you can apply yeah , if you get a date before the six months just postpone it , you can do this 3 times before you lose your money

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sunjammer

If you feel your good enough for the test I would apply after 4 months it will be at least 8 weeks before you get a date ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 amy-marie

The way I understand it is with this inclusion of the driver number on your application, they'll now be able to tell how long you'll have had your permit for, so they won't accidentally give you a date that's before your six months are up.

I could be wrong... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

amy-marie wrote: »
    The way I understand it is with this inclusion of the driver number on your application, they'll now be able to tell how long you'll have had your permit for, so they won't accidentally give you a date that's before your six months are up.

I could be wrong... :o
    How would they know that it is a 1st Learner Permit?

Also, the same number is used for all licences/learner permits of a holder regardless of categories they hold.

Advertisement