Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking etiquette?

Options
  • 06-07-2009 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

If you were in somebody else's house or car would you light up without asking?

Would you light up in your own house or car if there were non-smokers there?

Do you ask non-smokers if they mind you smoking (inside) before lighting?

(I usually would but it doesn't seem to be the case everywhere).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

In someone else's car or house I'd ask, not because its etiquette, but because I have manners, in my own house I do whatever the hell I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

No.

Yes.

Yes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

To me... smoking etiquette... would be not blowing out into someone's face..

generally in the house / apt / cars of non smokers... don't even bother asking.

- Drav!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

I didn't realise there was people out there who are still not housetrained yet? Do you also take a shít on your hosts living room floor because you're an inconsiderate bollix?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Roadend wrote: »
    In someone else's car or house I'd ask, not because its etiquette, but because I have manners, in my own house I do whatever the hell I want.

I'd agree with this if it weren't something that risks the health of others. I think in this case, people have the right to smoke-free air regardless of whose house it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I'd agree with this if it weren't something that risks the health of others. I think in this case, people have the right to smoke-free air regardless of whose house it is.

I disagree.

My house, my rules.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

Well, things certainly have changed since the 70s.
    Back then you'd light up anywhere and ask "jaysus, what's the matter with you?" when asked not to smoke.
    Only being a kid back then I didn't smoke, but that didn't stop anyone else smoking around me.
    Today things are different of course.
    When being in someone elses house I wouldn't even ask if I can smoke inside unless I knew (a) the inhabitants smoked themselves and even then only if (b) I saw evidence of smoking inside (ashtrays, etc...).
    Some people don't even like you smoking in their garden (honestly) in case the smell wafted inside.
    Same goes for cars.
    My own place?
    I smoke. If you don't like it, get out. Plenty of fresh air outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

I didn't realise there was people out there who are still not housetrained yet? Do you also take a shít on your hosts living room floor because you're an inconsiderate bollix?

Who are you talking to.. no one here said they smoke in other peoples homes..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Roadend wrote: »
    not because its etiquette, but because I have manners

=D

But every now and then don't you just wonder "should I pull out a massive cigar and just smoke this place out...?"
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

I wouldnt ask unless i saw an ashtray or fag packets. Even if the other person lit up i'd probably still ask if its ok for me to smoke.. Hell i dont even smoke in my own house, having to go out is well better, ya smoke less and theres never a lingering waft of it indoors

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Careful now! Do you even know who you directed that post at? lmao.

Pull out a massive stogy, light it and when everyone looks at you go "what? Is there something on my face? Do I have spinach in my teeth?"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Lighting up without asking in someone's house is crazy rude.

In fact, you should just offer to go outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,916 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If you were in somebody else's house or car would you light up without asking?
    Hell no.
    Would you light up in your own house or car if there were non-smokers there?
    Debatable.
    Do you ask non-smokers if they mind you smoking (inside) before lighting?
    Never has come up. But I dont smoke that much.

The Golden Immutable Rule however, is you always pass it to the Left Hand Side.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

To me... smoking etiquette... would be not blowing out into someone's face..
    - Drav!

If some burd does it, its one of those signs that you're in there........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I've never tried smoking etiquette but I hear if you mix it with nutmeg it'll get you really baked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I've never tried smoking etiquette but I hear if you mix it with nutmeg it'll get you really baked.

Tried nutmeg with yogurt. Took three days to fully recover from it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

YFlyer wrote: »
    Tried nutmeg with yogurt. Took three days to fully recover from it

I'm intrigued, carry on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

"cigaretiquette"
    • don't light up when someone is eating at the table, or nearby
    • don't blow smoke into people's faces
    • always turn one cigarette upside down in a new box for good luck
    • return lighters to owners
    • never light up indoors unless it is a designated smoking area or your own gaff
    • always try to leave the ashtry and surround nice and tidy after you
    • try to always offer a cigarette (if you have it) and don't bum too many - at least not off the same person all the time
    • if you can remember to, carry mints
    • accept that some people just don't like cigarettes (full stop)
    • reformed smokers who preach the message of quitting should be acknowledged and pushed to another side. people quit on their own terms and conditions
    • passive smokers are too cheap to buy their own, freeloaders
    at least those are the ones i remember from uni, we had a policy

and thought about publishing a little book on it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭BaileysComet

I don't smoke but I can't imagine lighting up in someone else's house without asking. Very rude.

I do remember I was watching TV one day when my BF and his mates came in. One of them changed the channel. It was my birthday. :( I thought it was very rude to change the TV channel in someone else's house.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭AdamusAdonis

I don't smoke,

If someone lit-up in my car, they're out.

I live with smokers though, there's a general respectful restraint on where people smoke, generally their own room and the sitting room.. Kitchen is smoke free (c'mon, makes sense right?)
    And in response to the question, those "rules" were pretty much assumed by all smokers in the house... there was no real discussion, no compromise...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

No

Yes

No

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I don't smoke in non-smokers houses or cars.
    If I want a cig I'll outdoors. I wouldn't dream of lighting up inside their house/car.
    If they're a smoker I'll fire away..I might even offer them one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

No

Yes

Yes

Although Most of the above are revised as soon al alcohol is involved :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,325 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

there's a general respectful restraint on where people smoke, generally their own room and the sitting room.. Kitchen is smoke free (c'mon, makes sense right?)

Funny, I've always thought of it the other way around - no smoking in the sitting room, go to the kitchen if you want a cigarette.
    Maybe its a workingclass thing, when I was growing up the kitchen was always the place where people would socialize.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

I'm a non-smoker.

If I'm in someone else's house or car and they're smoking, I don't particularly like it but I'd never say anything or expect them to stop, they're entitled to do whatever the hell they want!

I would expect someone to ask before smoking in my house or car. The car is a definite no-no, and I wouldn't really mind so much anyone smoking in the house all that much, but any of my smoker friends automatically go outside anyways. Just manners I suppose, seeing as no one in my house smokes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

I would just head outside. If it's a non smoking house it's just polite and if it's a smoking house sure they'll just bring me back in. At home though I would smoke where I want.

(Sheesh, off them four days and still using the future tense!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Im the king of my castle, my castle my rules.

Advertisement