Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Art of top Gear

Options
  • 06-07-2009 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

I was really struck by the cinematography last night Ken Block feature and decided to celebrate the "art" of the series with some nice screen grabs from the archives.

ArtofTopGear5.jpg

ArtofTopGear2.jpg

ArtofTopGear3.jpg

ArtofTopGear6.jpg

ArtofTopGear7.jpg

ArtofTopGear9.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

The cinematography has been excellent for a while now, think it was at the BAFTAs a couple of years ago I couldn't believe they weren't even nominated in the category. The editing and everything else is always spot on, the only exceptions being some studio segments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

yep. Sometimes you just have to sit back & admire the greatness that is a BBC production team. No one does it better, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

If only it was n HD

If only it was n HD

Jesus, I definitely thought it would've been recorded in HD for the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

amacachi wrote: »
    Jesus, I definitely thought it would've been recorded in HD for the last few years.

No, big discussion about it here:
    http://forums.finalgear.com/top-gear/top-gear-in-hd-34515/

The only Top Gear episode to be aired or released in HD was the Polar Special.

• Advertisement

No, big discussion about it here:
    http://forums.finalgear.com/top-gear/top-gear-in-hd-34515/

The only Top Gear episode to be aired or released in HD was the Polar Special.

Aye, copped that.

Having said that, it looks brilliant on a 720p LCD I have, despite being upscaled, so I'd say they could upscale their own prints to a decent quality HD format. Why it's not recorded in HD to begin with is ridiculous though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

amacachi wrote: »
    Aye, copped that.

Having said that, it looks brilliant on a 720p LCD I have, despite being upscaled, so I'd say they could upscale their own prints to a decent quality HD format. Why it's not recorded in HD to begin with is ridiculous though.

I guess they only have so many HD cameras. I think TG is recorded on a Tuesday or Wednesday, when all the HD gear will be covering soccer?

Edit. I'm talking mince - the BBC don't really have soccer these days, do they? But I guess the HD gear is still being used elsewhere.

big b wrote: »
    I guess they only have so many HD cameras. I think TG is recorded on a Tuesday or Wednesday, when all the HD gear will be covering soccer?

Edit. I'm talking mince - the BBC don't really have soccer these days, do they? But I guess the HD gear is still being used elsewhere.

Can't think of much else that the BBC are shooting now that needs HD. I'd've thought that even just shooting the segments outside the studio in HD would make sense, and they're recorded weeks or months in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

I heard that most TV programmes shooting ratio is about 5:1, where for every 5 hours of footage they shoot, 1 hour makes it on air. But for Top Gear it's something like 20:1. They've to shoot 20 hours of footage to get 1 hour for broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

they spend 2 million a esp...

they shoot all the films on HD could even be film im not too sure. the Studio is done by a SD OB truck so it has to be a SD program for the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Only watched last weeks episode today & while the standard is usually spectacular, the Ken Block piece was stunning... been looking for wallpapers for the last 15mins ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ArtofTopGear8.jpg

ArtofTopGear10.jpg

ArtofTopGear1.jpg

ArtofTopGear4-1.jpg

ArtofTopGear6-1.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The quality of the production is what makes Top Gear if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I hope someones screen grabs some of the shots from inside James Mays car tonight.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I hope someones screen grabs some of the shots from inside James Mays car tonight.

Quit stealing my thoughts. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It'll be on youboob soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

Best i could find.
    News1_1.jpg

james-may-pic-wenn-549757787.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

The Ken Block footage was amazing,I've been editing it in song vegas 9 and it's hard to get it near their standard!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

The camera operator's on TG are some of the best I've seen.
    Fifth Gear try's to copy the style but get it all wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

i love when they use high speed cameras to record a wheel spin in water etc. looks amazing IMO

• Advertisement
Advertisement