Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddleboard as a beginners surfboard

Options
  • 06-07-2009 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm 6'4 and 20 stone and I'm struggling to find a board big enough for me.

I'm a newbie and from what I've gathered so far a foamie longboard would be the best thing for me for size and cost.

I've been looking for an 11ft one but can't seem to find any on the net. I'm not even sure if they make them that size.

I keep seeing alot of SUP boards of 11ft/12ft which although expensive for a beginner seems to be the only thing that'll take my size.

So my questions are :-

1) Does anyone know if someone makes 11ft foamies?

or

2) Would a SUP board be a good board to use as a beginners board for someone my size or are they just huge tankers and not suitable surfboards when used without a paddle?

I'll be starting my diet tomorrow :)

Thanks

Also to Mick from Lancs, if you're reading this, who I met at Keel last week for letting me have a go on his 11ft fibreglass longboard and giving me loads of friendly advice, Big thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Talks to a boad shaper and see if they will make you a board, get a good solid glass job so that it can take the abuse you are going to throw at it and you weight as well.

http://www.isasurf.ie/shapers-repairs/

If you want numbers of G&I or Seven / Chaper board PM me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

I have a 9ft foamy and would be willing to let you try it out and see what you think, might help you get a better idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

I actually have access to two types... a slick bottom foamy and a pure foamy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ChrisJefferies

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'm going to have some lessons to get the feel of things and see what happens from there.

Advertisement