Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drying Flowers

Options
  • 06-07-2009 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭

I have some lavender growing out the front and I was wonder what's the best way to dry it when it's eventally ready to be harvested.

Tried drying flowers in the past but without much success, they generally just withered and were only fit for the composting.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

i am currently sitting under a harvested crop of lavender, so this time of year is probably best time to harvest if you want to maximise the scent. harvest in the early morning, like 5am. seriously. they hold their smell best if you do so.
    cut the stems and tie in small bunches. string the bunches up in a room that is reasonably ambient re light and temprature, with a low humidity. ideally a north facing place. keeps the light down.
    the drying rack here is made with two coat hangers eithr end of a few canes, all tied together. its just a structure so the little bunches can be kept apart, so air travels between. its held on the roof with two brass hooks used for hanging baskets or similar.
    good luck with it. hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Thanks

It's only starting to flower now so I'd say by the weekend it should be ready.

Advertisement