Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mesh Home Desktop PC,AMD Athlon 2.8GHz,4GB RAM,500GB HDD,DVDRW(etc)- €244.44 [Ebuyer]

Options
  • 06-07-2009 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭

Delivery is included in the price in title.

Pretty damn great deal.. shame I fecking hate eBuyer! :mad:

R0161926-01.jpg
    Buy it @ Ebuyer

Bolded the areas below of note..
    Processor

* AMD Athlon™ 64 LE-1660 Processor 2.8GHz

Memory

* 4GB DDR2 800MHz

* Expandable to 4GB
    * Memory Slot: 2 x DIMM

Hard Drive

* 500GB SATA Hard Drive (16MB Cache)

Optical Drive

* 22 x Super Format Dual Layer DVD ReWriter

Software

* Linux Ubuntu
    * Open Office 3
    * Clam AntiVirus

Display

* Monitor Not Included

Graphics

* 256MB Nvidia GeForce 7050i GPU - Integrated Graphics
    * PCI Express 2.0 x16 Expansion Slot

Audio

* 5.1 Channel Surround Sound

Input Devices

* Keyboard & Mice Not Included

Networking

* Network Interface:10/100 LAN

Dimensions

* Width 190mm
    * Height 375mm
    * Depth 390mm

Interfaces

* 1 Set 5.1 Channel Audio Jacks (3 Jacks)
    * 1 x PS/2 Keyboard Port
    * 1 x PS/2 Mouse Port
    * 1 x COM Port
    * 6 x USB 2.0 Ports
    * 1 x RJ45 LAN Port
    * 1 x VGA Port

Expansion

* Multi Format Flash Card Reader

Warranty

* 1 Year Warranty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Does anyone know if this has built in Wifi for wirelass internet?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

This would have been perfect if I hadnt just bout a laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this has built in Wifi for wirelass internet?
    Nope..
    Interfaces

* 1 Set 5.1 Channel Audio Jacks (3 Jacks)
    * 1 x PS/2 Keyboard Port
    * 1 x PS/2 Mouse Port
    * 1 x COM Port
    * 6 x USB 2.0 Ports
    * 1 x RJ45 LAN Port
    * 1 x VGA Port
    You could just pick up a cheap USB Wireless Dongle on Ebay.. set ya back about a tenner!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I actually have a dongle on my desktop and its frustrating as it is slower than the laptop.

Does anyone know a dongle that will run the wireless net very fast or are they all the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

basquille wrote: »
    Pretty damn great deal.. shame I fecking hate eBuyer! :mad:

I have never bought off them before. This is tempting tho. How come you hate them Basquille?

• Advertisement

jenno86 wrote: »
    I have never bought off them before. This is tempting tho. How come you hate them Basquille?
    Just personal opinion... but a bad experience with them all the same!

Starts at end of first page..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Nice specs, but AMD single-core processor puts me off - I'm always multitasking. Mighn't be an issue for most folk though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Anyone know how many SATA connectors are on the motherboard, or if there's a PATA connector?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

don't see any mention of pci... is there any on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Asus M2N68-AM-SE2 motherboard, according to here: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/161926/show_product_reviews

A455-2863-call04-maf.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

only one pci slot... seems kinda crap though

Ugh, only 2 SATA plugs. PATA access is a plus though. (I like to use Plextor Premiums)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭515

Guys, I'm not that familiar with Linux systems, would this be compatible with our existing office network? We all have Windows machines at the moment.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Ubuntu is fairly user friendly, what do you want to do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭515

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is Ubuntu?

I would want for the pc to be able to connect with the server and use whatever files it needs, word, excel, powerpoint etc.

515 wrote: »
    Sorry for my ignorance, but what is Ubuntu?
    A Linux distro (the OS that sits on this PC).
    515 wrote: »
    I would want for the pc to be able to connect with the server and use whatever files it needs, word, excel, powerpoint etc.
    Shouldn't be a problem whatsoever using SMB / CIF shares and OpenOffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Ooooo! This is nice, looks like one of those HP/Compac PCs with the removable media drives that cost well over €500. Yes complete with Buntu but which Buntu?

I love this comment in the reviews .... :D
    Comment:
    can this system run xp home
    review by: william hazell os: Windows XP

will I be able to install XP home as my OS because I am not too keen on Linux

... each to their own, I guess he prefers an OS that's nearly 10 years old. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Biker.ie

* 500GB SATA Hard Drive (16MB Cache)

showing as 320GB now.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭pancake_tuesday

Oracle wrote: »
    Ooooo! This is nice, looks like one of those HP/Compac PCs with the removable media drives that cost well over €500. Yes complete with Buntu but which Buntu?

I love this comment in the reviews .... :D

... each to their own, I guess he prefers an OS that's nearly 10 years old. :)
    I would like to ask seriously though! Is it possible to install Vista or XP on this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I would like to ask seriously though! Is it possible to install Vista or XP on this?

yes! If you have a copy that is...

Yes.. it's possible!

Best install XP though. Why voluntarily install Vista? That just baffles the brain! :confused:

.... Best install XP though. Why voluntarily install Vista? That just baffles the brain! :confused:

Hehe... so true! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Windows 7 is currently free for release candidate, I was using the 32bit version and its rock solid, not so happy with 64bit so far....

But that's a free OS for your new machine should you buy it. As far as single core CPU's go this is a good one, add in a 50 euro card like the Radeon 4650 and you've got a decent games machine for a 17" monitor, and the CPU can easily be upgraded to a dual core in the future from the cheap AM2 line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 TheMeatMan

how upgradable is this in terms of CPU and graphics?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

I would second the windows 7 post. Its fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

x43r0 wrote: »
    I would second the windows 7 post. Its fantastic

Been meaning to try it.

Remember though that the release candidate will expire next year. July?

As for using Ubuntu on a Windows network. Yes, it is user-friendly, and it does interoperate, and Openoffice is almost fully compatible with MS Office.

However I would not expect a group of Windows-only users to integrate a Linux desktop with no issues. You need at least one Linux person. Maybe if you have one guy who would give up Windows it might be doable, but if you have no experts, maybe you don't want to spend the time coming up to speed.

I love Linux... I'm just being realistic. I'd say the same about Windows 7. Don't give it to someone who doesn't like messing with computers.

Ix.

ixtlan wrote: »
    Been meaning to try it. Remember though that the release candidate will expire next year. July? Ix.

You beat me to it, yes remember Windows 7 will expire on 1st. June 2010, so you've only about another 10 months to use your "free" operating system.

Oh, and by the way, just forgot to mention these few small conditions from the Microsoft Windows 7 web site.....
    Starting on March 1, 2010, your PC will begin shutting down every two hours. Windows will notify you two weeks before the bi-hourly shutdowns start.

But there is a way to avoid the MS shutdowns and nagware.....
    To avoid interruption, you'll need to install a non-expired version of Windows before March 1, 2010.

...and even if you do buy Windows 7, you'll still need to re-install all your programs and data afterwards...
    You'll also need to install the programs and data that you want to use.

So you've actually got just 7 months to use Windows 7, without MS shutting down your PC and nagging you.

So enjoy Windows 7 and have a nice day! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

I'll get the full version free soon enough anyway. I work in the Computer Science dept of a University and we get all microsoft software free

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Saw this in comments:
    In my case, I had recommended this Mesh to someone, who then asked me to set Win XPpro up on it for them. Suffice to say, considering this is only a single core processor, that 4gb of memory makes XP go like a rat up a drainpipe. Noticeably quicker than the quad core, Vista based, Acer with 4gb ram that I recently set up for another friend.

If you intend to install Win XP, remember that a normal XP install cd cannot handle SATA. You will need to create a special copy of your XP cd with the correct SATA drivers slipstreamed onto it. The correct drivers for this mobo are on the bundled Asus cd. This process is not too difficult a job if you use the nLite tools (freeware) available by download. But be warned: not a project for the fainthearted.

Would be straightforward enough, wouldn't it?

Advertisement