Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Graphics Card for Tv Tuner?

Options
  • 06-07-2009 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I am planning on getting a TV card - WinTV Nova-T 500 Dual digital DVB-T PCI - and am wondering which would be the best graphics card to use with it.

I've a budget of about €150 so any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I am planning on getting a TV card - WinTV Nova-T 500 Dual digital DVB-T PCI - and am wondering which would be the best graphics card to use with it.

I've a budget of about €150 so any help would be much appreciated.

The TV card specifically doesn't matter, what matters mostly is what kind of monitor you have and if you also if intend on Gaming as this is what you will really need some GPU power for.

If the PC is just going to be a media player then you will be able to keep a pretty big chunk of change from that €150 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 BarnesTheKing

marco_polo wrote: »
    The TV card specifically doesn't matter, what matters mostly is what kind of monitor you have and if you also if intend on Gaming as this is what you will really need some GPU power for.

If the PC is just going to be a media player then you will be able to keep a pretty big chunk of change from that €150 .

The monitor is an LG 20” Flatron - Resolution 1680 x 1050, Contrast Ratio 8000:1, Dot Pitch 0.258 mm. I just plan on using it as a media player but am looking for excellent quality.

I'm a bit of a novice on graphics so hope above info is useful. Again, thanks for any help.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

The monitor is an LG 20” Flatron - Resolution 1680 x 1050, Contrast Ratio 8000:1, Dot Pitch 0.258 mm. I just plan on using it as a media player but am looking for excellent quality.

I'm a bit of a novice on graphics so hope above info is useful. Again, thanks for any help.

Something like this for 30 euro would be an excellent card for what you need.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=434121

A 30-40 Euro card like this will be able to display DVD/Blueray/Tv and Images etc at resolutions of up to 2560 x 1600, to just as high quality as more expensive cards in the 100-150 bracket like the HD 4870 or the HD 4890.

What you are paying for at this price range is not picture quality (which is really down to the monitor in any case) but for a more powerful Graphical Processing Unit, which is used for rendering 2D/3D graphics for games etc. As the requirements on the GPU while watching media on you PC is very light by comparison to the latest games, there is no need to shell out cash for processing power you will never use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 BarnesTheKing

Great. Thanks a million

Advertisement