Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

allergic to watches

Options
  • 05-07-2009 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭

hi, as title suggests im allergic to most watch casings e,g stainless steel etc but i need and like watches, i believe plastic and titanium are my only options,

can anyone recommend some decent looking plastic watches other than the cheap casio ones and a few lower priced titaniums ?

thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

coat the back of the watch with clear nail varnish and you should be fine with any watch with a leather or plastic strap. You'll have to reapply as it wears off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

+1 on the nail varnish, great idea, though leather straps may cause allergies in some, depending on how they are prepared. I'm allergic to nothing, or so I thought, until one leather strap a few years back brought a rash up. Gold is another metal that shouldn't cause a reaction. Pricey though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

I'm allergic to zinc and nickel so most watches do the same to me.

I'd be surprised if you're actually having reactions to stainless steel though. It's probably the metal in the clasp or the watches have falsely stated that they are stainless steel.

I use Hirsch kevlar hypoallergenic straps and stainless steel clasps.

I only get stainless steel cased watches also. I've never had any problem with my Omega cases - which were all stainless steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

I kinda like those old school casio watches. They are quite fashionable I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

citizen has many models in titanium, like these :cool:citizen-eco-drive-skyhawk-titanium-300x300.jpg

BL5251-51L_MED.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭littleknown

thanks for the feedback, aparrently im allergic to nickel which is in stainless steel,

can you please give me the names of some models of citizens and other brands under 250 ish,

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

can you please give me the names of some models of citizens and other brands under 250 ish,

thanks

search for "eco drive titanium",
    HERE you can see some models ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭steppen

you could also try a ceramic watch,

something like a Rado or a Chanel J12

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Trampoline

thanks for the feedback, aparrently im allergic to nickel which is in stainless steel,

thanks

Telstar Classic have a few titanium models - e.g. their model 2409 at €150.

http://www.telstarwatches.ie/2409.html

A list of retailers is available at www.telstarwatches.ie.

For your info, watches sold in the EU are now nickel-free so it is very rare that someone would have an allergy problem with a new watch (compared with many years ago when nickel was used, about 8% of people suffered from skin allergies in reaction to the nickel). Have you tried wearing a watch bought in Ireland in the past 5 years or so?

Anyway if you are definitely sensitive to some material then titanium is your best bet. However make sure the watch you buy also has a titanium caseback too - as opposed to a stainless steel one.

Advertisement