Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Kit for iPhone 3GS

Options
  • 05-07-2009 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I'm looking for a car kit from my 3GS and was wondering what people are using?

I want to have the iphone on a cradle to be able to see who's calling and control the ipod features.

I was looking at the Parrot MKi9000. But when the iphone is connected to this it won't let you use your iphone screen for ipod controls when connected.

Then a friend recommended the Parrot MKi9200. But this is too expensive.

Any ideas people? Who other than parrot make good car kits for iphone?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

ive a funny feeling this may work when its released. hopefully sold seperate from the software.

http://iphone.tomtom.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Ms Inquisitive

Any idea what price range the TomTom would start in, I definitely need a car kit like this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Halfords also supply and fit the Parrot range. However, they also do a cheaper option like this:
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_508569_langId_-1_categoryId_212409#dtab

The reviews are 90% positive and Halfords have confirmed that it will work with the iPhone 3G via bluetooth streaming, as opposed to a hardwired link. You can purchase an additional lead to charge the phone.

Like you, I'm impressed with the Parrot but would prefer to use my iPhone's screen as opposed to the smaller screen on the Parrot so thats why I'm more inclined towards the IO Play, and its €90 cheaper tha the Parrot. You can view both side by side in any Halfords store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Tiger-Lily

Hi

The Nokia CK-600 or Ck-100 works with the iphone 3gs and older iphone's with the newest software update.

Kit can be viewed here:

http://www.mobileaccessories.ie/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=6&category_id=a617954423627cf412cfe5d88c73dc10&

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭jd6677

I have a 3GS and I'm getting a Parrot MKi9200 fitted next week

Bought it from here :
    http://www.expansys.ie/d.aspx?i=172847

Will let you know how I get on with it and if its any good

JD

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

What exactly do those kits do? Is it to connect with stereos that don't have bluetooth? Or just a set of chunky buttons?

An iPhone can connect straight to a bluetooth stereo and you just need to mount it, and control everything from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Stanzen

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

jd6677, it that €194 delivered? Who are you getting to fit it?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭jd6677

Stanzen wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions folks.

jd6677, it that €194 delivered? Who are you getting to fit it?

Its €212.09 delivered. I'm going to try and fit it myself with help from a friend. Doesn't look to complicated. There is an install guide from Parrot here which is useful.

http://www.parrot.com/uk/support/installationdiagrams

JD

I got a quote for the Mki9200, €285 installed. That also comes with a years warranty from the fitter.

Wouldn't fancy my chances doing it myself but fair play to you.

Halfords quoted me €289 fitted for the Parott MKI9200 and €189 for the IOPlay.

The additional money for the Parrot gives you a 2.5 inch screen (which is about half the size of the iPhones when put side by side - imo) and you get 3 leads for connecting the Parrot to devices while also charging them, i.e. an apple lead, a 3.5mm jack and a usb cable. There is also a remote control that attaches to the steering wheel for controlling your phone calls and ipod/iphone's stored music so it is a true handsfree device.

The IO Play doesn't have the above but you can buy a lead to charge your iPhone while playing back music via a bluetooth connection.

I was put off fm transmitters after a very annoying experience with one and so I went looking at the two solutions above. However after extensive trawling of the net and reading reviews, I'm none the wiser about which one to get. The IO Play appears to have a love it/hate it relationship with those who bought it, i.e. some say its the best thing ever and their music sounds superb from it while others state that its a piece of crap that cuts out for no reason during music/phone calls. The Parrot appears to have more reliability but its a lot dearer and you have no choice but to use its screen instead of your ipods/iPhones which to me is daft as my iPhones screen is a lot bigger and easier to read. I went into Halfords to book the fitting of the Parrot for next Sunday but now I'm having major doubts as to the value for money of the Parrot for me. Due to a change of job, I no longer make regular long car trips around the country and only now make short runs and so the hands free aspect for phone calls doesn't justify the price. In addition, being forced to use the Parrots screen instead of my iPhones is annoying as I'd rather have the larger screen. I'm also put off the IO Play by a lot of the negative reviews on the web and the fact that I'd have to buy a separate cable to charge my iPhone (and as we all know, the iPhone needs constant charging!!) when this should be included as standard.

I'm now reconsidering an FM transmitter (I've come full circle now) as the price (€50) is 1/6th of the Parrot and I don't think the Parrot would make my music sound 6 times as good for the money involved.

And to think I used to be known as a decisive person :eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

I bought the Belkin Tunebase FM from Halfords today, 79.99

Basically a Iphone holder, FM transmitter with handsfree all in one....not had a chance to get a good go with it yet but it seems to work pretty well....and if not it was only 80e

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Daz R1

Basically a Iphone holder, FM transmitter with handsfree all in one....not had a chance to get a good go with it yet but it seems to work pretty well....and if not it was only 80e

Something similer myself ,Ive an old nokia bluetooth phone kit using the speakers of the radio and not the crappy little black speaker that comes with most,I also got the latest Belkin transmitter with charging lead(this one has the interferance form the phone sorted out) and now just waiting for holder for the iphone. Ive checked ilounge.com for a while now and thats really the cheapest and best way to connect an iphone until something like that Tomtom comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

I have to admit, I cheat a bit when it comes to connect the iphone to the stereo.

I've yet to (and dont think i will replace) the factory stereo in the car, which gives me a very inexpensive and easy option.

I've still got a tape deck (yes yes a tape deck!!) that i dont use at all (there is a 6 cd changer in the boot so its not too bad) but what i do is, connect the iphone to one of those cassette to jack/head phones type connectors and push the tape in, have a bog standard phone holder that was bought very cheap out of motor store (back in ze day) and viola, perfect solution.

Total cost: MAX €5.00 (for the cassette tape thing and phone holder)

The sound quality is brilliant (ok, so its not super, but its not tinny or distorted in any way, imho, i can't tell the difference between the cd quality and the quality thats played from the tape so i'm not gona complain)

Theres no risk of the frequency getting interrupted from outside or anything else either.

I've picked up a cheap car charger from ebay which i use on long journeys or when the battery is low enough so that gets rid of that problem!

The great thing about it is, if a call comes in, i just have to hit the answer button and the sound will come straight through the speakers and from the drivers position, the iphone will still be able to pick up my speach without me screaming my head off like a lunatic.

I hope this helps some of you's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I've got a stereo with bluetooth and an external mic that I have stuck to my dash. It's great for hands free calls with my iPhone. The stereo also has an ipod jack that you can hook up your iPhone/USB cable to and can then use the stereo to browse through the music and it also charges the phone at the same time.

All I need now is a half way decent holder for the phone so I can use the navigon software without having to perch my phone in the dip between my steering wheel and dashboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 TT Bone

The Tom Tom software and cradle will probably be released before end of summer, this looks like the best bet all round.

The cradle means the iphone will actually work like a REAL gps from what i've read. And it will connect to your stereo and do all the hands-free wizardry also.
    Apparently they've been working on this for a while and hired a top iphone app/accessories developer. I'm going to hold out for this:p

Will this Tom Tom app also work for music streaming via bluetooth?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

i personally use the harmon kardon kit the first gen one which is 40 euro on ebay and i got a charger adaptor for 35 on apple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 TT Bone

Well finally decided to go with the Parrot mki 9000 in the end. Now all I need to do is find someone to install it. Does anyone know someone in carlow who installs car kits that they don't supply.

Tried Halfords but have to call back tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Well finally decided to go with the Parrot mki 9000 in the end. Now all I need to do is find someone to install it. Does anyone know someone in carlow who installs car kits that they don't supply.

Great choice, I have the mki 9200 myself and it's great. Can't advise you on a installer in your area though, I got mine done in Cork.

Keep an eye on the Parrot website, they're constantly releasing firmware upgrades for the kits to improve them.

• Advertisement

Halfords generally don't fit equipment bought elsewhere. A good auto electrician will do it for you. Try calling into your local motor factors and asking them if they know anyone or else try your main car dealer and talk to one of the mechanics who might do it as a nixer.

I cancelled my Parrot mki 9200 installation yesterday as the more I thought about the €289 asking price in Halfords, the more I thought it was too steep to justify. I went into an O2 store and bought a Belkin Tunecast Auto for €45 and it works a treat at broadcasting my iPhone 3G's music over my car's speakers. It even uses RDS to display the song title and artist. No interference whatsoever on a 30 mile trip home last night from my parent's place on the northside of Dublin to my place in Kildare. So thats €244 saved that I can spend on an incar DVD player for the kids and maybe a bluetooth earpiece for me, although the speaker on the iPhone does a good job at making phone calls audible.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TheOneToBe

I am actualy just looking for car kit that includes charger and windshield mount....can somone give me sugestions....planing to get it on ebay....

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭scottyboy1973

Halfords quoted me €289 fitted for the Parott MKI9200 and €189 for the IOPlay.

The additional money for the Parrot gives you a 2.5 inch screen (which is about half the size of the iPhones when put side by side - imo) and you get 3 leads for connecting the Parrot to devices while also charging them, i.e. an apple lead, a 3.5mm jack and a usb cable. There is also a remote control that attaches to the steering wheel for controlling your phone calls and ipod/iphone's stored music so it is a true handsfree device.

The IO Play doesn't have the above but you can buy a lead to charge your iPhone while playing back music via a bluetooth connection.

I was put off fm transmitters after a very annoying experience with one..... and so I went............

........I'm now reconsidering an FM transmitter (I've come full circle now) as the price (€50) is 1/6th of the Parrot and I don't think the Parrot would make my music sound 6 times as good for the money involved.

And to think I used to be known as a decisive person :eek::D

Dave - there are a number of factors that dictate the quality of the transmitting cradles and wee plug-in transmitters themselves including the quality of the kit itself, the type of aerial in your car (whether it's internal or external and the type) and the bandwidth you transmit/receive on. In cities, trying to get a clear station can be tricky what with national, local and community stations all vying for the airwaves. A mate of mine has a transmitting cradle for his iPhone and was so pleased with it he bought another one for his finacee.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

A mate of mine has a transmitting cradle for his iPhone and was so pleased with it he bought another one for his finacee.

Why would he want to transmit his fiancée? :D:D

TheOneToBe wrote: »
    I am actualy just looking for car kit that includes charger and windshield mount....can somone give me sugestions....planing to get it on ebay....

I bought this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/5-1-Car-Kit-for-iPod-iPhone-FM-Transmitter-Charger-79_W0QQitemZ150357559455QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Mobiles_Accessories_RL?hash=item230202489f&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A30

and it was useless. It does not charge the iPhone 3G and its transmitting power is sh1te. The interference was brutal. And it kept on coming loose from the 12v socket and thus lost power.

I bought a Griffin window seat (made for iPhone) which holds the phone securely and within hands reach, and a Belkin Tunecast Auto to transmit the iPhone's music and they both work a treat. I've had no interference from the Belkin while driving in and around Dublin so would recommend it as a fm transmitter.

Just an update. I got the MKi900 installed and it is THE BUSINESS.

I was pleasently surprised when I discovered that, now thanks to online updates, the music from my iphone can be played through the system via bluetooth. No need for connecting it with the cables!

And when you need to charge the iphone, you can still use the iphone/ ipod screen interface with no problems (again, thanks to online updates).

Of course it does all the 'phone' functions.....Sound quality is excellent, automatically syncs your phone book for voice dialing, and there is no feedback when the volume is turned way up.

And to top it all off, I paid €130 for it on ebay vs the installer guy who wanted to charge me €285 for the MKi9200! Which I don't see the point in with the iphone, when you can use its screen.

So if your looking for a car kit for the iphone get the MKi900.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Daz R1

Just an update. I got the MKi900 installed and it is THE BUSINESS.

I was pleasently surprised when I discovered that, now thanks to online updates, the music from my iphone can be played through the system via bluetooth. No need for connecting it with the cables!

And when you need to charge the iphone, you can still use the iphone/ ipod screen interface with no problems (again, thanks to online updates).

Of course it does all the 'phone' functions.....Sound quality is excellent, automatically syncs your phone book for voice dialing, and there is no feedback when the volume is turned way up.

And to top it all off, I paid €130 for it on ebay vs the installer guy who wanted to charge me €285 for the MKi9200! Which I don't see the point in with the iphone, when you can use its screen.

So if your looking for a car kit for the iphone get the MKi900.

Did you install it yourself ?

em.......that aspect worked out quite well for me. The place I got it installed thought I bought it there.......so I didn't get charged for it!

Fitting would have cost €60

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Haha, fair play to you, you chancer :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 EvolutionSounds

Stephen from evolution sounds based in Carlow.

Give me a shout on 086 266 0570 in regards to hands free car kits, have worked on BMW x5's to Audi A4, etc, www.evolutionsounds.ie, and can help you out, Halfords don't spealise in handsfree so u have to be sure you know what they are doing before you give them the car, ask them a few questions first to make sure they have done your type of car before.

Again check out my web page and we come to you too. The price of the mki9200 installed is 285 if you don't need a lead, newer cars do, so let me know the make and will let you know, the leads start from 35 euro.

Stephen

Advertisement