Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T25 or Mercedes Sprinter LWB

Options
  • 05-07-2009 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi all ,

i am planning a trip around europe for 3-9 month.I would like to cover france ,spain,portugal,north west africa ,i have a fully rebuild T 25 high roof 1.9 diesel 1983.
    I think the little space and the missing WC and shower my be a problem as i go on the trip mainly to surf.
    So i want all your comments.
    I was thinking of the option of selling mine ,and buying a 95/96 LWB Sprinter and converted it with a double bed in the back setting corner in the front cooking and shower area.
    the pre calculation and research suggest that the sell of the T25 should cover most of the buy and conversion cost as i do all the work myself and do have some of the stuff i need to convert allready.
    i would just install roofvents and a window on the slidingdoor for securety and cost reason.
    So all comments are welcome.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

sounds like a (good) plan to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭volker 991

peasant wrote: »
    sounds like a (good) plan to me
    :D
    oh well been brewing for some time now,like years.
    so what exacly sounds like a good plan ,selling and converting or keeping???????:confused::rolleyes:

I've lived in a T3 (it's T3, not T25 :D) for about three months once ...but on that occasion I had easy access to a toilet and shower, so ....selling it and converting something bigger for a extended tour is what I meant by the good plan.

oh i see ,i am tending more and more that way....need mre input.....lol.
    T 3 ok ok .
    So woul is your estimate for the sale of my camper since you know it,it got now sitescirds,15 inch flatscreen,lowerd ,new engine windows and slidingdoor ,no rust whats or ever anywhere as it was striped to the bare on rebuild,have all the pictures to proof it?

volker 991 wrote: »
    So woul is your estimate for the sale of my camper

phhhh ...these days that's really difficult. The arse has fallen out of the market. Theoretically it could be anything up to 10k (as it's fully restored and sorted), but if you're going to get it, that's a different question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I'd actually keep the VW. You know the van and you know its reliable . Buying another van ia a possibility but unless you know the previous owner you might be looking at some expensive repairs down the line.

My ex had a T25, for a shower we had a shower curtain which we hung on the open back door/hatch. Water was from a 30l canister in the back of the van hooked up to a second hand pump. Served us well. You can also buy all in one shower-pump units that you connect to a 12v source and just stick them into any canister. We also had a Thetford portapotti.

Not the most practical solution but if you are happy with the VW then keep it. You might be glad of it in the future when you get home. saves the trouble of conversion and all the paperwork involved.

thanks for the showerthing i forgot to tell yous i have a portopotie and a large 17 litre solarshower on the outside,you got a point with VW about knowing what i have and all that good point..........convering?i love the work on the Van getting to know the engine and the van as a whole......!
    now yous got me thinking again. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

oh i see ,i am tending more and more that way....need mre input.....lol.
    T 3 ok ok .
    So woul is your estimate for the sale of my camper since you know it,it got now sitescirds,15 inch flatscreen,lowerd ,new engine windows and slidingdoor ,no rust whats or ever anywhere as it was striped to the bare on rebuild,have all the pictures to proof it?

what sort of money did the rebuild cost you?

I'm looking for a t25 and i'm trying to figure out how much it would cost to correct some of the ones i've seen. Rust seems to be a common problem with them and all the campers i've looked at need a respray.

how much did it cost to strip and repaint ..and how much was the new engine ?

i do like the t25 . . I'm just finding it hard at the moment to work out a fair price for the ones i'm looking at.

EDIT: ooops . .substitute t3 for t25 :)

son ,

i lost count of the money ,then again i am mad ,i dont do things at half.
    i think the strip down an rewelding of panels ,step ins,frames around the windows taken me 2 month of hard work long weekends and nights.
    i replaced the front doors ,slidingdoor and boot,
    all seals where replaced ,bushes ,breakes,seats,wired for DVD,TV ,cinema suround sound ,240/12 volt split hook up also done along the way, wiered 300 watts of drivinglights for the front as the lights are sh..t on the t3 .
    I presided with lowering the camper by 60 mm and build site bars on to it with LED's fitted for the craic of it.lol.
    then i changed the engine for a 1.9 diesel out of a Passat(300,-) meted it to a 5 spreed box and here we are.
    all in all i would say i spend about 3000,- plus the paint 600,-and the perks like DVD unit and flatscreen and inverter,oh i also have planted a 100 amp hours leisure battery.
    So i have to say most of the work was done by myself with friends help on spraying and some of the heavy work....
    i hope that helps.
    What sort of chash where you thinking of spending?
    If i sell my Volker i let you know.
    i can send you some of the restoration pics to give you a idea if you like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Laducar

Sounds like a great a project. Post up some before and after pics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

If your budget allows, would you not go for a 2003 - 04 Sprinter 313. You should get one for around 10k. The engine on them is a beaut and only requires servicing every 15000 mls.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

son ,

i lost count of the money ,then again i am mad ,i dont do things at half.
    i think the strip down an rewelding of panels ,step ins,frames around the windows taken me 2 month of hard work long weekends and nights.
    i replaced the front doors ,slidingdoor and boot,
    all seals where replaced ,bushes ,breakes,seats,wired for DVD,TV ,cinema suround sound ,240/12 volt split hook up also done along the way, wiered 300 watts of drivinglights for the front as the lights are sh..t on the t3 .
    I presided with lowering the camper by 60 mm and build site bars on to it with LED's fitted for the craic of it.lol.
    then i changed the engine for a 1.9 diesel out of a Passat(300,-) meted it to a 5 spreed box and here we are.
    all in all i would say i spend about 3000,- plus the paint 600,-and the perks like DVD unit and flatscreen and inverter,oh i also have planted a 100 amp hours leisure battery.
    So i have to say most of the work was done by myself with friends help on spraying and some of the heavy work....
    i hope that helps.
    What sort of chash where you thinking of spending?
    If i sell my Volker i let you know.
    i can send you some of the restoration pics to give you a idea if you like!

to be honest i don't really have a set budget, .. i'm more concerned about getting something reliable at a fair price, both for me and the seller. If i buy a t3 i'd like to pay a sum that would reflect the cost of any work to be carried out to bring it up to standard.

You could post up the pictures on a photo hosting site like flickr and link to them here to allow everyone to see them. that way you'll get more exposure and possibly more interest from potential buyers. Sounds like you did a good job. I'm not sure if i'd go for a van that is lowered though considering some of the places i would drive it.

Advertisement