Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppy flea dose

Options
  • 05-07-2009 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

i got a vile of frontline spot on from the vet for use on my 10 week old puppy she said to put it on at night as if we touch it and then touch our mouth etc could be harmful to us ..... for this reason have held off on doing it because she is only settling in does anyone know how long we need to leave her without touching her after applying it? also is it very dangerous to us as im not exactly the bravest when it comes to handling chemicals and the like

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

We usually put it on first thing in the morning, so that they can run around during the day and let it dry in. If you're worried, use gloves putting it on, goes below the base of the neck on the back (the pack should tell you exactly where). With our pup we didn't use a full dose cuz she was very small. Just put it on and don't touch that spot for the day, you can touch her head and you can still pick her up without touching there. Keep em away from your beds and stuff if you're worried about them rubbing off it.
    I wouldn't worry, if you do handle her just wash your hands with anti bacterial soap. It'll be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

i dont think the daytime is an option cos there is small kids around her dont think id b able to convince them that they cant touch her :) only thing im afraid of is waking up in the morning (early with her!!) and being really sleepy and forgetting about it and rubbing it in somewhere she usually asleep by eleven and up jus before six would this be enough time for it to dry?

Ah ok, my apologies I should have asked if there were children about :o

Yeah it should be mostly dry in 7 hours. It depends on the dog/their coat/etc. You'd be ok though, if you rubbed her you could go wash your hands.
    Thing also is - most of them have a strong scent, so I wouldn't sleep in the same room as her. So you'll remember if you're near her as you'll smell the flea stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

thanx thats really helpful might try get her to give it to her at ten 2moro that'll giv it 8 hrs jus nervous new puppy owner can ya tell :D pretty sure she dont hav them anyway so i imagine its safe enough to leave it a night or 2 before givin to her

Ah don't worry about ever asking anything you might think is silly. If you've never had to do it before sure how would you know? :)
    We'd bought a different brand one time and it lasted over a day and they were all greasy.
    With Frontline you should be fine tho, we use that and it's grand. You'll be fine waiting to put it on, she probably doesn't have fleas, it's just a precaution and something that you do every 2months (I think) to keep them away.

Just as you said, keep the children away from it as they wouldn't remember to not touch that area/wash their hands. But it should mostly be gone after that length of time.
    You seem like a concerned owner which is good, means your puppy will have a good home :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Personally, I flea comb my guy regularly and only apply the Frontline if he actually needs it (ie if I find any signs of fleas). It's a big chemical hit to be giving a 10 week old puppy...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I had used frontline before, and tbh I found it was effective on one of my cats for 2 weeks, the other it didn't seem to have any effect at all. I had also read about pets dying after use of the ones that are designed to kill adult fleas - it is quite rare, but still a worry.

Personally, I prefer to use the ones that kind of act like a flea birth control - they don't kill adult fleas, but they cannot lay eggs or the eggs that they do lay cannot survive. Program is the one they use in the states, and it used to be available here, but they don't sell it anymore, and it costs a fortune to ship over. I now use 4fleas protector (http://www.amazinganimal.co.uk/4fleas-protector-spot-for-small-dog-amp-puppy-3month-p-27354.html). They only seem to have it for sale in the UK. Pet Connection in Newry (www.petconnection.ie) have it on their website too, but only for medium and large dogs. I've used amazing animal before with no problems. You can also get the 4 fleas tablets, which will kill any adult fleas on your pet, but it will only last for 1 or 2 days, so it's not too strong, and if you wear gloves when giving it to them, no risk to you or your kids :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Unless the puppy has fleas you could possibly leave it a while longer if you like but then again with the warm weather and if the pup is starting to go out you might be better off doing it.

There is as far as I know more natural flea drops available as well.

I find putting the drops on before the dogs bedtime works grand, by the morning it's all soaked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Three dogs, three cats and eight years ...never used any flea stuff on either of them and guess what ...they never had any fleas.

Keep the chemical sledgehammers until you really need them (if you need them)

Advertisement