Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it coming back

Options
  • 05-07-2009 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

There was some chatter that if the shows on Dave went well it would follow with a series. Any word ????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

This forum needs some TLC.

Opinions on "Back To Earth" anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

stinky. Meta fiction plots are the death knell of any series. Dark Tower got completely bolloxed during the "hey I'm stephen king and I appear in my own books" section. It was the same with back to earth. In fact sci fi debris, a youtube reviewer guy, made an excellent point that the most enjoyable parts of the show often had little to do with the actual plot. This is the problem as I see it, with Rob Grant? gone the comedy value just disappeared, it just became something of a generic not very good sci fi show which even worse cgi effects. At least the older fx had some charm in being so patently awful, like the time hole effect which is clearly just water going down a sink hole, given an orange filer and pasted in the shot of star bug landing on earth. It was great to see them back but I knew it was going to suck because Rob Grant wasn't onboard and series 7 and 8, 7 in particular though, just sucked so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Not to mention it was another rehash of an old plot (Back To Reality), but they've been done this a couple of times in last few series... just for laughs but repeated jokes aren't funny... e.g. Dwayne Dibley was hilarious in "Back To Reality" but not so much in "Emohawk Polymorph 2" and even less so in whatever episode of series 8 he featured in. Then the luck / sexual magnetism virusses, Ace Rimmer, though you can almost forgive "Stoke Me A Clipper"... maybe... I know he was a different Ace but he wasn't the Ace we all loved from "Dimension Jump"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Deadly.

Let's hope it's better than back to earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Hammer of Thor

I think you guys are being a bit harsh about the later epsiodes of the show, I realise that the harshness stems from a love for the show and everything that went with it. I have a deep affection for the show, and the actors that made it so great (except for yer one who played Hilly/Holly, never could bring myself to like her).

Its true that Back to Earth was a little off, just like the Grant-less seasons of RD, but I'm really looking forward to sitting down in front of the telly to watch new episodes, even if its not on the same throne it once was it'll still be welcome relief from all the crap thats passed off as comedy these days. Smeg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I think you guys are being a bit harsh about the later epsiodes of the show, I realise that the harshness stems from a love for the show and everything that went with it. I have a deep affection for the show, and the actors that made it so great (except for yer one who played Hilly/Holly, never could bring myself to like her).

Its true that Back to Earth was a little off, just like the Grant-less seasons of RD, but I'm really looking forward to sitting down in front of the telly to watch new episodes, even if its not on the same throne it once was it'll still be welcome relief from all the crap thats passed off as comedy these days. Smeg.

Well said. Evan a crap Red Dwarf show easily surpasses the pap thats on our screens at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mike_slain3

EnterNow wrote: »
    Evan a crap Red Dwarf show easily surpasses the pap thats on our screens at the moment.

i couldnt agree more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

Was never as good when kochanski came into. Keep the lads in and the lassie out I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 OFlaherty

I'm skeptical at best about a new series of Red Dwarf. The actors are pushing on and the "Back To Earth" special was just dreadful.

Still, maybe "Ace Rimmer" could make a return too :P

OFlaherty wrote: »
    the "Back To Earth" special was just dreadful.

But it wasnt. I recently re-watched it on blu ray...its not vintage, but its damn good. Are you saying its worse than episodes like Camille & Meltdown? Red Dwarf hasnt been 8 seasons of classics may I remind you.

Its a show we can see more of, its just finding its feet again...give it a chance for god sake. Or would you prefer to watch x-factor & assorted reality rubbish?

• Advertisement

I am giving it a chance, hence the "skeptical" and not a statement of "I don't want ti to return because it could never be as good again".

And as for "Back To Earth" being "damn good"... well we'll just have to disagree on that one ;)

I am giving it a chance, hence the "skeptical" and not a statement of "I don't want ti to return because it could never be as good again".

And as for "Back To Earth" being "damn good"... well we'll just have to disagree on that one ;)

Your skeptical about a return, the actors look old, and the most recent episode was just dreadful....yeah, thats having faith :rolleyes:

The show returned after a TEN year break man...

Rob Grant stated that based on the reception to Back To Earth, another season was a possibility. Thanks to all the "fans" who whinged about BTE being crap, its looking unlikely now we will ever know if the Dwarf could have had another classic season.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Your skeptical about a return, the actors look old, and the most recent episode was just dreadful....yeah, thats having faith :rolleyes:

The show returned after a TEN year break man...

Yes I am skeptical about the return. I would hate to see the show come back, just for the sake of making a return. If it was crap it would be a major disappointment. BTE was enough of a disappointment for me, but I am still a HUGE fan.

I don't see how being skeptical about the quality of a potential new season is in anyway a bad thing. But I am not going to be a "ra raa pom pom waving" cheerleader for the new series just because it may be returning. I am a fan, but not a fanboy.

Some things work upon their return from TV exile and somethings don't... I will reserve judgment until I get to see it.

I will reserve judgment until I get to see it.

I doubt you will get that chance. As I stated above, even a crap Red Dwarf show far surpasses todays rubbish. Im not a fanboy either, the two episodes I stated above in my opinion were crap. BTE was better than them in my opinion, and thats not bad for a ten year hitaus. BTE got better as the show went on, which stated to me that everyone was finding their feet again.

Im with you also in that I would rather not see it come back if it were going to be crap...but I just cant envisage another season being crap. It might have one or two dud's, but like before, the majority would be great.

I would consider Series VII and onwards, the modern version of Dwarf. It had one or two mediocre shows like Beyond A Joke, but on the whole, I liked the tone of the show, Tikka To Ride was vintage stuff, Duct Soup Epideme/Nanarchy etc I found very entertaining. Season VIII again had a different tone about it. Though not as strong as VII, it still had some really funny stuff...Krytie TV, Cassandra, Only The Good. I wasnt overly gone on the Pete episodes, but all in all Id prefer watch them over anything else showing today. BTE had a different tone yet again, it felt mature, it had lost that raw element. Its hard to get used to Rimmer's receding hairline :D Under the wig, Cat looks like he did in Out Of Time etc. But it still "felt" like Red Dwarf. A new adventure we hadnt seen...

It clearly wasnt to everybody's taste, the declining ratings show that much. But I stand by my argument that this show was not as bad as some episodes that had come before it. It seriously wasn't "just dreadful". It has left openings for more adventures, more stories....more laughs. Im gonna respect your opinion Oflaherty, but there is NEVER gonna be another Series 4/5/6. If Red Dwarf cant be amazingly good, cant it just be really good?

If you have only seen the show once, do myself a favour and watch it again. Watch it with an open mind, forget about any negative comments you might have read etc...come back and tell me it didnt make you laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Rob Grant has the ideas and storylines but Doug Naylor had the jokes, without him it will only ever be 50% Red Dwarf, unless Grant discovers some hidden comic genius. Its like a band losing its lead guitarist, it just isn't the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Rob Grant has the ideas and storylines but Doug Naylor had the jokes, without him it will only ever be 50% Red Dwarf, unless Grant discovers some hidden comic genius. Its like a band losing its lead guitarist, it just isn't the same.

It's a shame because "Lister of Smeg" is wasting his talent on the cobbles of Manchester

Advertisement