Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well done to the Limerick Football team

Options
  • 05-07-2009 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

Although they may have lost by a single point, they gave the Cork team all it could handle and then some.

Very unlucky to have lost this, and the comment that the better team lost was made on Cork radio at the end of the game.

I would not be a big GAA fan but listening to this on the radio had the hairs on my neck standing up.

The Limerick team may not get the publicity but they sure as hell did the county proud with their performance and I hope they have more like this in the tank because if they do, then the journey may have a few more miles in it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

They lost and that's the only stat that matters. Moral victories are worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Aidric wrote: »

This is only partially true Aidric. The trick for Limerick is to learn from the experience and make sure they close down games when they are on top. There is serious value (potentially) in that. Ball is in Limerick's court to show they can do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Yet you said well done to the Lions in the rugby forum, for gaining pride by winning one game from three in a test series they lost. You also spoke well of Munster despite the fact the could not even make the final.

A moral victory is only useless is a team/sportperson does not use it to try and do better next time out.

The unfancied Limerick players did well, and deserve some praise for their efforts.

The Munster players got plenty of well dones despite being beaten in the semi by Leinster, and whilst I dislike the bandwagon that follows the Munster team at times, the players themselves put in the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

garbanzo wrote: »
    The trick for Limerick is to learn from the experience

Last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

445279.ie wrote: »
    Last year?
    Exactly. Lads you can't keep spouting the learn from their mistakes mantra. They had the same opportunity against Kerry a few years back. Limerick's problem is that they haven't enough clinical forwards to step up to the plate and kick points when they are badly needed, second half today being a case in point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

Well done to Limerick. As a corkman I can honestly say I was well impressed with the Limerick team. There are some class players there. I know its easy for me to say as Cork won but watching the Limerick team over the last 2 years, the trounced Meath last year and were unlucky on the day against Kildare. Were unlucky against Cork last year and this year. But they are not out of it yet.

I reckon they really stand a chance of winning some silverware next year. They just need to build up the stamina and physical strength over they next few months. They started making silly mistakes with about 20 minutes to go. They got tired and Cork capitalised on that. Limerick as football Munster chmapions next year is not a stretch of the imagination

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Exactly. Lads you can't keep spouting the learn from their mistakes mantra. They had the same opportunity against Kerry a few years back. Limerick's problem is that they haven't enough clinical forwards to step up to the plate and kick points when they are badly needed, second half today being a case in point.
    Couldn't agree with you more. While i applaud the lads for the effort they put in, they're going to have to be more clinical when they are on top. Had Stephen Lavin's goal chance hit the net, we would have gone in 6 points in at half time instead of 3. It is decisive moments like this that matter when it comes to the winning of the game. I knew a 3 point lead at HT wouldn't suffice, especially with Cork playing with the breeze in the second half. Our forwards didn't get the proper supply of ball after the break and you wont win many matches scoring 3 points in 35 mins. It is frustrating but we dont seem to have learned from last years defeat to Cork. Granted it was some of the younger guys first experience of a Munster final but we really needed to kick on this year and claim a Munster. I only hope we can regroup and do ourselves justice in the qualifiers. A good long run this year would set us up nicely for another craic at Munster next summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

grenache wrote: »
    Couldn't agree with you more. While i applaud the lads for the effort they put in, they're going to have to be more clinical when they are on top. Had Stephen Lavin's goal chance hit the net, we would have gone in 6 points in at half time instead of 3. It is decisive moments like this that matter when it comes to the winning of the game. I knew a 3 point lead at HT wouldn't suffice, especially with Cork playing with the breeze in the second half. Our forwards didn't get the proper supply of ball after the break and you wont win many matches scoring 3 points in 35 mins. It is frustrating but we dont seem to have learned from last years defeat to Cork. Granted it was some of the younger guys first experience of a Munster final but we really needed to kick on this year and claim a Munster. I only hope we can regroup and do ourselves justice in the qualifiers. A good long run this year would set us up nicely for another craic at Munster next summer.

Thats very true, but also, a team that doesnt score for 37 minutes doesnt deserve to win either?

solice wrote: »
    Thats very true, but also, a team that doesnt score for 37 minutes doesnt deserve to win either?
    No, but Cork got the goals. They didn't panic at any stage, even when Limerick had a lot of the ball in the last ten mins. They had the greater experience throughout the team. The best team on the day doesn't always win, but you have to admire Cork for their pure doggedness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

I was down in Pairc Ui Chaoimh yesterday, and I was very impressed by the Limerick team. They played with pride and honour, and gave it there all for the entire 70 mins. They kept there composure for the entire game and did Limerick proud. The hurlers should take a leaf out of their book.

• Advertisement

Have to say i was very disappointed with the level of Limerick support at yesterday's game - we were easily out-numerbed 3:1 by Cork fans. Its an awful pity the GAA people of Limerick and sports fans in general could not be bothered to get off their arses and support the team when they needed it most instead of sitting at home roaring at the tv. In my opinion they are well worth it, they're a more highly skilled group of players than the Limerick hurlers and will win silverware soon, unlike the hurlers. They also don't go off on alcohol binges in mid season, unlike the hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Great effort by Limerick,fair play to em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭knightmare

Ya fair play to the lads, monumental effort. Sport is cruel & a bit more composure when they were on top would have been enough to win it. Lucey & O Riordan are some men for lining out in both codes week in and week out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

grenache wrote: »
    Have to say i was very disappointed with the level of Limerick support at yesterday's game - we were easily out-numerbed 3:1 by Cork fans. .

Agree.

The Limerick fans on the terraces were great though.They didnt stop shouting and chanting all the way though it. My brother,who was playing, said it really gave them a real boost to hear.
    The few Limerick fans that were there gave great vocal support though.

While Im absolutely gutted by the result it was a great day out. I've never been to a dull Limerick football match, They are always fiercely exciting, competitive and close. For me I thought it was a great game to watch,but maybe Its diffcult for me to be unbiased when Limerick are playing!

panda100 wrote: »
    I've never been to a dull Limerick football match, They are always fiercely exciting!
    Were you not at the Limerick-Cork match in 2006 at the GG? 9 points to 5 in favour of Cork. Limerick didn't score in second half. The most awful match i've ever had the misfortune to attend! The woman beside me actually fell asleep. Both sides were equally bad. Shocking stuff.

Advertisement