Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

light in the sky

Options
  • 04-07-2009 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

just saw something weird in the sky over dublin,it was a bright object moving through the sky,it went really bright for a second it kinda looked like venus and then the light dimmed and looked like a distant star then it vanished.

it was moving really fast through the sky i know this was not a star it was going too fast through the sky.its not the first time ive seen this but ive never seen it be as bright as it did tonight.does anyone know what this is....im baffled

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,884 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Sounds like an Iridium flare:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_flare

Id love to see one but no luck yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭LeotheLion

My dad said he seen something very high in the sky yesterday evening around 8oclock,he said it was going fast looked red in colour,he called me to come out to him in the back garden but it disappeared

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭dublin_daveyboy

Thargor wrote: »
    Sounds like an Iridium flare:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_flare

Id love to see one but no luck yet.

dont know what that is but this was just strange,when it dimmed it just looked like a distant star but you can see it moving really fast past the backdrop of stars.

it went really bright for just a second which ive never seen before,i really thaught it was a ufo,i didnt think a man made object could move that fast through the sky.

LeotheLion wrote: »
    My dad said he seen something very high in the sky yesterday evening around 8oclock,he said it was going fast looked red in colour,he called me to come out to him in the back garden but it disappeared

what i saw was just really bright for a second no red colour though,what the hell is it.no way is it satellites

yeah sounds strange,I wish I seen it,he said it was the wierdest thing he's seen,I tried looking on UFO Irelands website last night to see if any new sightings were reported but they havent updated it in years,,maybe other people on boards have seen it

• Advertisement

LeotheLion wrote: »
    yeah sounds strange,I wish I seen it,he said it was the wierdest thing he's seen,I tried looking on UFO Irelands website last night to see if any new sightings were reported but they havent updated it in years,,maybe other people on boards have seen it

ive seen the same object many times but tonight i seen it go bright which is a first for me,i was just looking on in amazement at it.then it just dimmed and vanished.

i tell you lads theres something out there!!

ive seen the same object many times but tonight i seen it go bright which is a first for me,i was just looking on in amazement at it.then it just dimmed and vanished.

i tell you lads theres something out there!!

its fooked up,check this out

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/were-not-alone----politician--and-pilot--spot-ufo-1484949.html

it's says last year a senior garda seen ufo with red laser beams

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Sounds like an Iridium flare

Heavens-above listed a -6 mag flare around 23:40, so thats probably it

Good viewing out tonight too, check the site for times and you can catch it again! My location in the link is Maynooth

efla wrote: »
    Sounds like an Iridium flare

Heavens-above listed a -6 mag flare around 23:40, so thats probably it

Good viewing out tonight too, check the site for times and you can catch it again! My location in the link is Maynooth

it must of been that so,but still it was interesting to watch.

ive seen lights many times that look like distant stars but are moving very fast across the sky,so am i just seeing satellites or what?,...i thaught it would be near sunrise when you would see them because of reflection and all that.

it must of been that so,but still it was interesting to watch.

ive seen lights many times that look like distant stars but are moving very fast across the sky,so am i just seeing satellites or what?,...i thaught it would be near sunrise when you would see them because of reflection and all that.

Most of them (recently) are about 4-5am, but you get an occasional one in late evening

Theres another one tonight at 23:30, mag -0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

They are mostly concentrated around dusk because although the sun has set and its getting or already dark, the Iridiums are high enough to not be in the earths shadow yet. ie. In the Winter you see Iridium flares a lot earlier because dusk is earlier.

You can actually use these on a date. Find out what time an Iridium flare is due and roughly where in the sky it will appear from Heavens-Above. Near the time, check your watch and tell your date to look up and pull the twinkle in her eye and throw it up into space and 'Abrakedabra' I bright star flares in the sky at that instant! :D

Tried it one night but my poxy watch was running a minute or two fast and I just looked like an eejit when nothing happened. The romantic moment was lost when I had to explain myself with the science and curse my watch. When it finaly flared a minute later, all I got was, "Oh thats interesting" :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Smokey Bear

Saw something like that on Friday night @ apx 23:20hrs heading from south to north in Dublin .It was heading at some speed was wondering what it was.It was a large spot in sky with no tail.

Saw something like that on Friday night @ apx 23:20hrs heading from south to north in Dublin .It was heading at some speed was wondering what it was.It was a large spot in sky with no tail.

They peak after a few seconds, but you can spot them a little before peak brightness on a clear night with well-adjusted vision

Advertisement