Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can smell your fear

Options
  • 04-07-2009 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭

STUDENTS facing exams this month, take heart: your companions can smell your fear, and they empathise.

That's the implication of a study by Bettina Pause at the University of Dusseldorf, Germany, and colleagues. They put absorbent pads under the armpits of 49 university students an hour before they took their final oral exam and again as the same students exercised. Another set of students then sniffed the sweat samples while having their brains scanned.

None perceived a difference between the two types of sweat, but the pre-exam sweat had a different effect on brain activity, lighting up areas that process social and emotional signals, as well as several areas thought to be involved in empathy (PLoS One, DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0005987).

The researchers conclude that anxiety prompts the release of a chemical that bypasses conscious experience, automatically triggering similar feelings in anyone who sniffs it. This may allow fear to spread quickly and speed our ability to flee danger. A previous experiment found that sweat from skydivers activated anxiety circuits in sniffers' brains.

Link: http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20327155.700-fellow-students-smell-your-exam-fear.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

But I just had a shower?

/Edit I thought you said feet, carry on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I'm sweating right now. Is is because I'm nervous or because I'm doing a certain strenous activity? You decide. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I have sweaty ball bags most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Heatwave wouldn't have anything to do with it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Aidric wrote: »
    I have sweaty ball bags most of the time.

Ball bags? How many testicles do you have? I keep mine in the one bag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I can smell your birch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I keep mine in a sack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

I smell Dinner burning!

/Runs to kitchen quickly

Ball bags? How many testicles do you have? I keep mine in the one bag.
    I'm that guy from the two penises thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Really?

What's it like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,870 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

So you cut one off but the kept the two ball sacks.

Thats gotta look even weirder than two penises

Really?

What's it like?
    It weighs me down sometimes but I just try to get on with things.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That's not fear your smelling, it's raw meat and ky jelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

bleg wrote: »
    STUDENTS facing exams this month, take heart: your companions can smell your fear, and they empathise.

That's the implication of a study by Bettina Pause at the University of Dusseldorf, Germany, and colleagues. They put absorbent pads under the armpits of 49 university students an hour before they took their final oral exam and again as the same students exercised. Another set of students then sniffed the sweat samples while having their brains scanned.

None perceived a difference between the two types of sweat, but the pre-exam sweat had a different effect on brain activity, lighting up areas that process social and emotional signals, as well as several areas thought to be involved in empathy (PLoS One, DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0005987).

The researchers conclude that anxiety prompts the release of a chemical that bypasses conscious experience, automatically triggering similar feelings in anyone who sniffs it. This may allow fear to spread quickly and speed our ability to flee danger. A previous experiment found that sweat from skydivers activated anxiety circuits in sniffers' brains.

Link: http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20327155.700-fellow-students-smell-your-exam-fear.html

Who has exams in July?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I can't stop farting tonight, apologies all.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭sub-x

Yeah thats not fear you smell,thats just students,they always smell like that ;):D

Advertisement