Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over-dressed or under-dressed - which is worse?

Options
  • 04-07-2009 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Myself and the OH are going tomorrow evening to what I can best desribe as a posh barbeque and the dress code is "smart casual" apparently.

I'm not that pushed about what I'll wear but I've been told to make an effort and not to look out of place! I suggested that I wear some of my golf clothes but that was ruled out so I'm either going to have to turn up in jeans and a shirt or some form of suit. Anybody any suggestions as to how best to minimise me turning up like a muppet either way?

Thanks!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

trousers and a shirt? golf trousers should be fine if they just look normal. smart casual usually just means 'no jeans', but some people are bound to be wearing jeans, just not with runners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

smart casual generally just implies dont turn up in a pair of tracksuit bottoms and a football jersey from my experience

a smart pair of jeans and a shirt or t-shirt should do the track

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A good pair of trousers and a semi-smart shirt will cover you here. Chinos or smart type jeans would also do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

dudara wrote: »
    A good pair of trousers and a semi-smart shirt , Chinos or smart type jeans would also do it. .
    As above and a pair of new or nicely polished shoes .As long as the jeans are not blue Denim .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

No denim. Trousers preferably, chinos if you have no other choice. A dress shirt, patterned. No tie. Shoes and a sports jacket.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

Smart casual means no jeans!!Men its chinos and a shirt and women trousers and a top or some kind of casual dress

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

What is the obsession with chinos on this site? I appreciate it's often used as a generic term for summery trousers, but really, chinos in their true sense are suited to men over 40, while on younger men they're, well, ever so 90s dahling.

Sharp trousers all the way please.

Advertisement