Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Techinfo-4u.com

Options
  • 04-07-2009 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

I've speant several months working on this website.
    www.techinfo-4u.com

What do you think of it? Any suggestions for future info on it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Interesting design. Looks like one of these might really tie the whole thing together.

I see you've got the 'Bookmark us' link in there already though. Excellent. People often need reminding about that functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Ok, site looks a bit strange but for some reason I think it would be something for people new to computers, Large images, Large Text and easy on the eye colours.

Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Yikes, there's some overlapping on that page for me (Firefox, Mac). I was going to say that you have forgotten to link the stylesheet but you are using BlueVoda, so I think it's intentional. I think you need a little bit more time designing the site as it looks a little untrustworthy for cutting edge tech info tbh.

Oh, and your review page isn't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭robobobo

Thanks for that,
    review page is working fine for me and nothing appears to overlap on firefox, Internet explorer or chrome on windows for me.

The site is meant to be clear and user friendly and not for serious serious tech users but hopefully to provide useful techinfo for people of lesser tech experience

robobobo wrote: »
    Thanks for that,
    review page is working fine for me and nothing appears to overlap on firefox, Internet explorer or chrome on windows for me.
    Apologies, the reviews page works, but the link from "most recent app" on the right hand side of the front page doesn't link to the article.

Here are some images of what I see.

10558752.th.tif
    81425157.th.tif
    57567981.th.tif
    44809613.th.tif

• Advertisement

Gordon i Don't appear to have any of these problems that you have,

It seems some of the text is spilling out of its text box, i've tried to make some of the text spaces bigger to avoid this and reduced some font sizes that i didnt realise were that big.

On your screenshots the pages appear to be magnified and appear larger than they are,

I wonder if it's the different screen resolutions......... Not the case for me i tried changing between a few and they all seem ok

Also what do you think would be good to change from a design point of view?

Thanks

I'm on varying resolutions, from large monitor to small laptop, FF: Mac, as I mentioned. It all depends on what you want to do; fix the problems, or ignore them because your browser renders the pages fine. If you want to fix the site I recommend stopping using that BlueVoda software and start getting to grips with HTML and CSS and drop a great deal of the javascript for rollover buttons, it's unnecessary.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

[Firefox 3.0, XP]

- Your footer looks a bit odd, the links look a bit scattered. Also "we will repremand the situation" doesn't make sense - redress or resolve maybe?
    - On the main page, your Top Hint & Tip box - needs padding on the left, the text is up against the box
    - the Windows 7 bit in your news box is spilling out over the right side of the box
    - Personal thing, but I hate starting every word with a Capital Letter

Quick guide, keyboard shortcuts:
    - Windows XP, not Windows Xp
    - Windows-D is show desktop, not Ctrl-D
    - Inconsistent naming of the windows key, "windows start keyboard button" and "start", bit confusing.
    - Layout is a bit hard to read, maybe put the tips in a list (in 2 columns if you need the space)

Hints & Tips page:
    First tip text is running right up against the google ads, maybe a small bit of right padding

Comments page:
    - The "bookmark us" link is completely different on the home page than the contact page, and doesn't appear on other pages. Maybe make it consistent and put it on all pages
    - Most of the subject options include "& Suggestions", bit confusing.

/critic

Like the site though

Thank you very much for that feedback

I really need somebody to see it who hasn't seen it before to spot these things that I overlook

thanks a bunch for that and I'll sort it out as soon as I get the chance

thanks again

Those overlap issues are sorted on my browser btw, nice one.

• Advertisement

Thanks gordon

Turns out it was the fact the text was spilling out of it's field
    I increased the text field and as you said it's ok now

thanks again for letting me know

MOH,

I've made most of the site changes you suggested apart from the bookmark one

For some reason the button will only work if i have it on the homepage which is what its set to bookmark.

When i have it on the comments page and set to bookmark the homepage it wont work

Other than that i've made the changes you suggested

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

robobobo wrote: »
    MOH,

I've made most of the site changes you suggested apart from the bookmark one

For some reason the button will only work if i have it on the homepage which is what its set to bookmark.

When i have it on the comments page and set to bookmark the homepage it wont work

Other than that i've made the changes you suggested

Thanks again

Don't listen to me!! :D

Good stuff, those quick tips are a lot more readable now

Advertisement