Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does tesco charge the same everywhere in Ireland?

Options
  • 04-07-2009 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me do Tesco charge the same/have the same offers in each part of the country ? Or does it depends on where its located i.e. Tesco Merrion (Ballbridge) Vs Tesco Roxborough (Southhill Limerick)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

i presume so...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Tesco Roxborough generally have special offers on knives.....and other kitchen utensils of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Its different depending on county i believe. As in the border counties are currently getting cheaper prices then say Dublin.

According to their press releases, this is going to change soon with a campaign for all of Rep. of Ireland to have the same prices as the border counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

29c swiss rolls ftw!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Its different depending on country i believe. As in the border counties are currently getting cheaper prices then say Dublin.

According to their press releases, this is going to change soon with a campaign for all of Rep. of Ireland to have the same prices as the border counties.
    Yep, Stuff is supposed to be cheaper where I am than in Dublin.
    Still buy from the local man though when possible and buy bugger all off the bigger boys, again if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gwjones42

irishguy wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me do Tesco charge the same/have the same offers in each part of the country ? Or does it depends on where its located i.e. Tesco Merrion (Ballbridge) Vs Tesco Roxborough (Southhill Limerick)

I was buying a load of wine for a wedding this week and heard that Tesco were applying the discounted prices that have been in the border shops to a few stores on the North side of Dublin. They had a really cheap wine in Clare Hall for 4 euro. In Tesco Maynooth on the same day it cost 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Steo46

Tesco in merrion was always more expensive that other branches even before the recession kicked in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Bloody hell, Merrion is the uber-posh area of Dublin and you are asking if they charge differently than anywhere else?

Fyi, get thee to the Northside dub/border branches of Tesco where they have rolled out their 'change for good' con promise to source cheaper prices.

Tesco Merrion has not been affected by the above yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,988 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I lived in Ballymun a couple of years ago and I'm telling you, the Tesco there hasn't seen a price increase in years!

Dirt cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

irishguy wrote: »

Depends if it's one of the stores it has introduced the price cuts too.

Started with Border stores and gradually moving to all stores.

That's the explanation though no doubt somebody will say I'm lying!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Ah Jaysus!
    No matter what way you look at it, them fookers charge like wounded Rhinos.!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I payed ten. Who many fid yoy pay/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

No price difference between Tesco Drumcondra and Tesco Ballyfermot

Though Tesco Ballyfermot is a filthy kip!
    They had a golden opportunity to clean it from top to bottom when they closed it their new layout, like the border stores.

Nope, new stock & new layout, place is still a ****hole.
    You'd want to see Tesco Clarehall, place is absolutely spotless, fair play

The staff in Tesco Drumcondra and sound, at least the manager listens to your suggestions. I don't complain but I do suggest things now and again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

No!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

They used to prior to the border stores getting lower prices.
    Now they're slowly rolling out the lower prices in the rest of the stores, so there's two tiers as far as I can see.
    (Example: they closed santry, finglas and probably a few others last weekend to swap the layout, and this weekend Phibsborough is closed for the same reason)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ste.phen wrote: »
    They used to prior to the border stores getting lower prices.
    This is my understanding.

However, what did exist, was that the likes of Merrion had premium products like a fresh Sushi counter. Ordinary stores would carry some prepacked Sushi and Ballymun had fish fingers, no Sushi.

Tesco's are being quite clever in this campaign, they are not really trying to undercut Irish stores like Dunnes but rather "head 'em off at the pass" and stop shoppers going north and buying in Sainsburys & Asda (their main rivals).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

The same product is the same price in all their stores, previous to their latest changes of course. I think they're model was that no matter if you're in a superstore, regular store or express you'll pay the same price in each of them. The only difference as was pointed out is that you'd get more premium products such as a larger Finest range in a store where the custom would dictate.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭bucks777

they're rolling out their change for good price cuts in stages across the country, they started with the border stores and then in the west, north dublin was then switched over...i work for a company who supply tesco,i cover the kerry region n parts of limerick,kerry will be done by the 24th august i'm told....a manager showed me a product on friday,hellmans mayo, 2 exact jars but looking at the back one was produced by unilever in dublin and the other in the uk,the price cuts can be obtained by cutting out the irish supplier and getting the stuff cheap from the uk......its the same with our company,we'll (my company) be gone from tesco soon after the changes are implemented,they will get the stock direct from the uk and cut us out...great for the consumer cos of price but bad for irish jobs, this is why the farmers were complaining about tesco a few weeks back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

Merrion and Jervis are the two Tesco I'm most familiar with, and they carry a quite different product range, but I'm pretty sure the price has never varied on identical products between the two. You can never get, say a giant bag of cheap pasta in the Merrion, and there aren't as many Tesco Finest or Premium product in Jervis.

Someone told me years ago that Merrion was Tesco's best performing store in the UK & Ireland, anyone know if there's any truth in this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Tesco are scum. Try my very best not to buy anything from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Linku wrote: »
    Someone told me years ago that Merrion was Tesco's best performing store in the UK & Ireland, anyone know if there's any truth in this?

Nope, don't think that's true.
    Try my very best not to buy anything from them.

Trying ? How hard can it be, you either shop there or don't under your own free will. If you're not all mouth and stand by your convictions you simply don't shop there, there's no trying about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I have to say the savings are substantial since they changed over their supply chain.

For example, Pedigre Chum Senior Pouches were around €9.50 a box in Tesco Asbourne up to a few months ago. They are now around €6.50 in Tesco Drogheda (we were buying them in Sainsburys Newry for £5.50stg).

They are also improving the range of products with UK lines that weren't previously available here, e.g. in soft drinks they now have brands such as J20, V (oh yes!), Britvic 55, Perrier and Fentimans to name but a few.

Certainly Newry is still worth it for booze and fags, but we're certainly rethinking the bi-weekly Newry shop with the drop in Tescos prices, I did believe it was all hype at first, but I'm convinced now.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Jip wrote: »

Trying ? How hard can it be, you either shop there or don't under your own free will. If you're not all mouth and stand by your convictions you simply don't shop there, there's no trying about it.

I have occassionally bought alcohol in Tesco at 9.55 because it's either there or nowhere. I don't hate them enough to go sober for a night.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

They charge different amounts in England anyway. I live in Elephant and Castle, which would be one of the poorer parts of London, and I used to work in South Kensington, where the local tesco is right across the road from a Lamborghini Dealership, and there was about a 10% difference in prices between the Tescos in the two different places.

There's also a difference in the range of products sold. The Elephant and Castle branch sells a lot of frozen foods and food from Africa and the Carribean, whereas the South Kensington branch sells packages of salad and newspapers.

Advertisement