Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urban Mushing

Options
  • 04-07-2009 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi All
    Has anybody ever tried "Urban Mushing", its like dog sledding on dry land.

People are using scooters (http://www.pawtrekker.com/)

and carts to do this.

There are plenty of videos of this on youtube.

I have seen an ad also on donedeal associated with the website www.mushing.ie about a weekend in the wicklow mountains over the august bank holiday.

I am taking care of an American Akita for two weeks while relations are on holiday, the dog loves to run and pull things so would suit her perfect.

If anybody has any info on this can you let me know.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Hiya, I run my dogs with a scooter and am getting a 3 wheeled rig within the next couple of weeks. There are a couple of clubs in the country that do this, one is Tails 'n' Trails, that I'm part of, the website it under construction, but we are on Bebo if you want to check it out. We had a scootering meet at the end of May in Roscommon and had a great time.

If you're just looking after a dog for a few weeks though, I wouldn't have thought you'd be able to do anything with him, he'd need to be trained into the harness first, and then start on the scooter, which would take a little while.

The weekend in the Wicklow mountains I believe is a backpacking event, not a scootering one. It sounds great though, should be a lot of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 stepcodd

I only have this dog for a few weeks but we will be getting two dogs of our own soon. Thanks for the info. I will check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Looks like fantastic fun! I've done real mushing in Northern Sweden with a pack of 6 huskies, and that was fantastic, if a little expensive, and it'd be great to try dog scootering or something like that on forest tracks. We've plenty of those here in Wicklow. Only snag is I don't have a dog .. do you think I could persuade our two cats to pull me along :) Seriously though, it'd be great to be able to try something like this, even if you didn't have your own dog, I'm sure there'd be a huge demand.

Hi ISDW
    Do you have a picture of the three wheel rig?
    Could you put it up please?

Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 madaboutdog

You can visit Tails n Trails here and see the scooters in action in the video box.

http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=9405744851

• Advertisement

I haven't got my rig yet, but this is a link to a company in the UK that makes them, to give you an idea. I can't afford one of these just yet, they are expensive, but very good.

http://www.cudosrigs.co.uk/

Thanks ISDW

I'm toying with the idea of making one from two mountain bikes and some tubular steel.

Do you know of anyone who has tried?

Have you seen "Sacco carts" from norway?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP-J40sb33s

Stephen

There are some people in the UK that have made their own rigs, Im trying to remember where I've seen them.

If you look at the husky forums in the UK, I'm sure you'll see them. I think there are some pics of some on Siberian Husky Welfare Association forum.

Those carts look great. There is a guy in Germany that builds carts as well, including passenger ones, Fritz Dyck, he has some amazing carts. One day, one day ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

wow, those crazy norweigans,
    did you see how close the kart was to the edge of that very high cliff when it was being knocked about?

It looks a bit dangerous alright. You would really have to trust the dogs that are pulling you. Looks great though. I think they are about 1500 euro to buy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement