Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it wrong...

Options
  • 04-07-2009 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

Am I wrong to get some smug satisfaction over some people getting messed up by the recession. Some that come to mind are the night club owner Robbie Fox or the "celebrity" chef Dylan McGrath, these types of people annoyed the f**k out of me when times where good. They were usually on the TV or in the sunday papers proclaiming how hard theyve worked and how rich they are.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Who are those folk again? Never heard of them (honestly).

Nope, not wrong, just human.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Course it's not, rich tossers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

no man we always like people falling flat on their face well i do anyway. i'm enjoying the Gordan Ramsay saga at the minute.

A year ago he was huge everywhere making loads of money and now his restaurants are failing and his marriage is gone. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭MSporty

Biggins wrote: »
    Who are those folk again? Never heard of them (honestly).

Nope, not wrong, just human.

Robbie Fox owned Renards and Dylan McGrath won a michelin star or whatever. Minor celebraties alright but just the sort of muppets that were filling the papers during the goodtimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Loving the gordon ramsay saga too, especially as he made money from a particualer tv series by pointing out the failings of different restaurants. delighted for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

How could it be wrong ??

It's the Irish way !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

MSporty wrote: »
    or the "celebrity" chef Dylan McGrath

About a year ago I was opposite his restaurant waiting to cross the road and he was standing a few metres away smirking back at me.
    I fu*kin' hate people like that - don't know the guy but he must have found my haircut or clothes funny. Should have pushed him out under a bus.

Nolanger wrote: »
    About a year ago I was opposite his restaurant waiting to cross the road and he was standing a few metres away smirking back at me.
    I fu*kin' hate people like that - don't know the guy but he must have found my haircut or clothes funny. Should have pushed him out under a bus.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,993 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

brummytom wrote: »
    Course it's not, rich poor tossers

fyp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

"During the good times" is a horrible phrase.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭waitinforatrain

Iang87 wrote: »
    no man we always like people falling flat on their face well i do anyway. i'm enjoying the Gordan Ramsay saga at the minute.

A year ago he was huge everywhere making loads of money and now his restaurants are failing and his marriage is gone. :pac:

Ah the Irish, we never lose that begrudging feeling. Can't stand anyone doing better than us...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Ah the Irish, we never lose that begrudging feeling. Can't stand anyone doing better than us...

I don't know where you've been the last year but the begrudgers are being proved right every single day. Very few people were actually 'doing better'-there were just a lot of mediocraties being carried up on the tide of an asset bubble fueled by borrowed money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭waitinforatrain

latenia wrote: »
    I don't know where you've been the last year but the begrudgers are being proved right every single day. Very few people were actually 'doing better'-there were just a lot of mediocraties being carried up on the tide of an asset bubble fueled by borrowed money.

... that made no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Bitter much?:rolleyes:

Jeebus wrote: »
    "During the good times" is a horrible phrase.

Thats what they were supposedly!! Wont be back for a long time either. A couple of years ago people could look forward to the future now people are looking forward with dread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Am I wrong to get some smug satisfaction over some people getting messed up by the recession.

Of course it's wrong.
    In the same way as it would be wrong to get some smug satisfaction from hearing that Gerry Ryan had been sacked, had all his assets frozen as a result of some tax fraud and was now working in Supermacs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Rich people can avoid this sort of mockery if they keep a low profile when they're rich and don't go around blowing their own horns and egohunting. Bill Cullen is a prime example, (yes he was on the Apprentice but he's a modest man and above all a realist) These people have worked hard, made their money, they still work hard and they're making money, and they're cagey and shrewd enough not to blow their money on high risk enterprises that fail. Fox and McGrath have earned their downfalls, the sort of trumpet blowing and mindless capitalism they indulged in always has a flipside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Of course it's wrong.
    In the same way as it would be wrong to get some smug satisfaction from hearing that Gerry Ryan had been sacked, had all his assets frozen as a result of some tax fraud and was now working in Supermacs.

Err what. If that were true it would be pretty funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Corb

Yeah enjoying the Gordon Ramsey thing, he's a horrible person and is always bad mouthing people, enjoy the fall back down Ramsey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I think you'd probably find that these guys are doing ok. Their companies and businesses may well have gone to the wall, but they probably paid themselves handsomely and are quite comfortable now despite the closure of their flagships.

To be fair to Robbie, he's been around the business for a very long time put in his time in one of the toughest parts of Dublin, worked his way into managing and developing some great pubs and clubs in Dublin then made the Pink Elephant (where Reynard's is) THE celebrity night spot in the 80's and 90's and was very successful at the time. It was only after he left and Lillie's opened that the Pink declined.

It's a shame to see his business go tits-up but you can be sure he personally isn't quite on the bread line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

I'm absolutely delighted for Gordon Ramsey. It's just a pity that he's still got that huge personal fortune. I'd love to see all those celebrity chefs lose everything. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I'd say it's Typical Irish Begrudgery tbqh. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

K4t wrote: »

and nothing to do with the fact that they're ****. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Am I wrong to get some smug satisfaction over some people getting messed up by the recession.

If you are going to go to the bother of despising someone, being smug by yourself doesn't quite do the moment justice. You should mark the occasion.. although in such a way that it doesn't back lash on you. Im working on an idea, but dunno where Im getting the milk float from yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

who dat?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

No, typical Irish begrudgers involves hating anyone \ everyone Irish doing well, no matter how well they earned or how much they deserve their richness , i think the OP is on about the twits that were blowing their own trumpet and looking down with scorn on us mere mortals, they certainly earned their downfall.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'd feel a bit of schadenfreude (within reason) in the case of a person who's rich and an asshole, not just rich. I don't know what Dylan McGrath was like in terms of his attitude when he was doing well. Never heard anything about Robbie Fox himself being a wanker either - moreso his club attracting ****. Not saying either of them aren't ****, just that I don't know. But as for them constantly featuring in newspapers (meaning the Sunday Independent) - don't blame them, blame Independent Newspapers. Incidentally, I felt a massive surge of smugness when Monical Leech won a huge settlement from that particular publishing company.

Gordon Ramsey: if he's really as colossal a prick as he comes across on his shows, well that news just makes me want to go all Nelson Muntz on his ass. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I'm English - what's my excuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Nolanger wrote: »
    Maybe he fancied you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Abigayle wrote: »
    If you are going to go to the bother of despising someone, being smug by yourself doesn't quite do the moment justice. You should mark the occasion.. although in such a way that it doesn't back lash on you. Im working on an idea, but dunno where Im getting the milk float from yet.
    Just like a dog pissing on somebodys shoes yup , I'm up for that .

Advertisement