Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips on a new feature on my site.

Options
  • 04-07-2009 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭

Hey, i'm looking for some design/functionality feedback on a new feature i've added to a site.

The site is Swop-o-nomics it's a barter exchange. It's built around an open source message board, but i'm looking to add more functionality to the site, so it could maybe even stand alone with the message board being a background extra. The aim of the site is to make barter transactions more liquid.

My first attempt at this is a search feature, Swop Search to connect members looking for X and offering Y with members looking for Y and offering X. I'm learning the php and mysql and other stuff as I go, and I think it may be showing it's amatureness in the design.

You can log into it with the following details:
    Username: Bob
    Password: testpassword

Would anybody have any thoughts about how I could improve the look (maybe a little more web 2.0ish), general user experience, or think of any additional functionality that might work well on the site? Or any other thoughts in general would be great.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Looking at swop.php, since it stands out the most.

Lose the Comic Sans... it's ghastly... it's also too large for the rest of the text IMO.

The wording below each step could be improved dramatically... it's too hard to scan the page and tell quickly what each step requires... you're forced to read an unnecessarily long sentence to find out.

I question the need for steps here in the first place, since it isn't that complex a process over all.

The descriptions of each step need to be shorter and more to the point.
    Make sure your location is right, if it isn't - make it!
    I'd prefer to read something like "Edit your location" (or review/confirm).
    Is what you're offering and looking for correct? If not, follow this link.
    Again, something like "Edit swaps"... or a listing of my current swaps with an edit button beside it.
    Enter the radius you want to search within.
    "Search radius"
    These short cues should be enough to orient people... you can go into greater detail later on the page in some small font.

The 'Click Here' anchor text could be replaced with something more descriptive.

I'd move the description for each step into the right-hand column above each <input> and lose the borders in the right column... maybe replacing it with a more subtle grey horizontal line between each step that spans both columns.

I think a useful exercise would be to get a sheet of paper and sketch the layout you want first, then worry about trying to create it... I get the feeling from looking at it that you're letting the code design the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

Looking at swop.php, since it stands out the most.

Lose the Comic Sans... it's ghastly... it's also too large for the rest of the text IMO.

The wording below each step could be improved dramatically... it's too hard to scan the page and tell quickly what each step requires... you're forced to read an unnecessarily long sentence to find out.

I question the need for steps here in the first place, since it isn't that complex a process over all.

The descriptions of each step need to be shorter and more to the point.

I'd prefer to read something like "Edit your location" (or review/confirm).

Again, something like "Edit swaps"... or a listing of my current swaps with an edit button beside it.

"Search radius"
    These short cues should be enough to orient people... you can go into greater detail later on the page in some small font.

The 'Click Here' anchor text could be replaced with something more descriptive.

I'd move the description for each step into the right-hand column above each <input> and lose the borders in the right column... maybe replacing it with a more subtle grey horizontal line between each step that spans both columns.

I think a useful exercise would be to get a sheet of paper and sketch the layout you want first, then worry about trying to create it... I get the feeling from looking at it that you're letting the code design the page.

Thanks for that, I got rid of some of the points you mentioned. It's cleaner, still needs work, but I do think a complete re-design is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I hate the scrolling in the 'Last posts' box - I'll lose interest rather than wait for them to scroll up.

Advertisement