Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rottweiler Pup Tips On Training Needed

Options
  • 04-07-2009 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi Guys,

I have put a deposit down on a rottie pup, she'll be ready to go in 3 weeks,

just want from rottie owners some advice on getting the house ready,
    best training methods
    best food
    tips on training etc..

ive done a heap of reading on millions of sites already so i have a fair idea but id like to hear from actual people, not just a site.

its a purebred bitch and she'll be ikc registered, vaccinated and already accustom to going on newspaper,

Thanks in advance
    Carl :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 cf4

bump - good to know everyone here is happy to help.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

cf4 don't criticise posters in this forum. It's the weekend not everyone is on, not everyone can answer your question, and with an attitude like that, people won't want to.

I don't own a rottweiler so I can't really give any advice. My aunt has one but that's all the experience I have.
    I have two dogs and our pup was paper trained when we got her too. It's a case of keeping that up but as it's summer let the dog out the back or if you see her going indoors not on the paper bring her out & plonk her on the grass and then give lots of praise when she does go.
    If you have a dog flap/open back door during the day, I would leave the papers near the door so she'll slowly get the message. Don't scold her badly if you find out later she's gone somewhere else, she won't remember and won't know why you're mad. At that young an age, they can't hold it if they need to go, so if you don't see them wanting out or beeing too far away from paper, it's not their fault. I'd get some dog wipes as sometimes they get can get a dirty bum.

Don't make her living area (where she'd sleep etc) too big, if they go too far from the paper they don't know where to go and just go where they are at the time. Sometimes the wee/poop is close to the paper, they may have just had one paw on it, but that's still good.

Access to plenty of fresh water, make sure you get a sample of what the breeder is giving her currently, probably puppy nuts, that will have to be soaked before you feed her so her tummy doesn't swell up.

Make sure to get any remaining vaccinations / worming and obviously don't bring her out/in contact with other dogs until she's clear.

Change of home / routine etc may make her have runny poos etc for a few days, keep a close eye for blood etc, but she should be ok.

A bed with a blanket or towel in it, a water bowl and paper/puppy pads (handy for protecting your floor) and not LOADS of space because they'll forget where the bathroom is. Sometimes a warm water bottle under the towel will help them sleep, or a ticking clock (imitates heartbeat) can help too.
    Our pup took a while to settle into sleeping on her own, you have to be firm and have routine with them.

You can start basic training from day one really, little things like saying in her basket, sitting (can be done by holding piece of food over their head and apart from jumping the other natural reaction is to sit, so praise when she does this).

Get toys for her, not too many, make sure they're things she can have a good chew on, she'll be teething soon and will want to eat everything. Also you can try and teach her not to eat people, she will chew on your hand/fingers/everything when teething badly but you can tell her to be gentle and praise her when she is.

That's all offhand for now, but if I think of more I'll come back.

star pants your a star, i thank you :) you can delete my bump if you wish :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

Haven't had a rottie for a while but training them is pretty easy with some common sense, basically if you're happy their happy and vise verse.

Best food is always a matter of opinion so best to educate yourself and make you're own decisions, start with these.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=dog_food_reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

cf4, Hi bought my 1st rottie a year ago , he very well bred and a pure pleasure to work with also a big softie , its hard to believe these dogs get such bad press when its irresponsible owners that are totally at fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

cf4 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I have put a deposit down on a rottie pup, she'll be ready to go in 3 weeks,

just want from rottie owners some advice on getting the house ready,
    best training methods
    best food
    tips on training etc..

ive done a heap of reading on millions of sites already so i have a fair idea but id like to hear from actual people, not just a site.

its a purebred bitch and she'll be ikc registered, vaccinated and already accustom to going on newspaper,

Thanks in advance
    Carl :pac:

Hi Carl, so you pick her up tomorrow then? Make sure you stick a picture up!
    We've got a rotty bitch, 8 months old now. Training them shouldnt be any different to any other large dog. Dont over exercise her while she is still growing - you could do serious damge to her growing bones.
    Anything you want her to do when she is older (walk to heel, come when called etc) should be reinforced while she is young. It is an awful lot harder to train her correctly from the beginning rather than try to correct an issue.
    Also - dont play rough with her. You dont want her thinking that is how to play - using teeth etc.

Best of luck with her. They are such a fantastic, loving, cuddly(!) breed.
    Looking forward to the pics!

Well i picked up Suki yesterday,

she's having a little nap on my lap as im typing this lol

trying to get her used to the crate at the moment and trying to get her used to going on the paper

here's a pic :)

suki1.jpg

suki2.jpg

she started walking into the crate herself this morning so im pretty happy with that,

any tips on getting her adjusted to the house and crate etc???

Advertisement