Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite controller ?

Options
  • 04-07-2009 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

What's yours ?

I really love this one :
    sg_propad.jpg

It's partly just to do with nostalgia cause it was deadly I thought what with the turbo programming buttons. It worked wonders for this wrestling game WWF RAW I used to love cause it had a kind of struggle system for moves.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

USB_SEGA_Saturn_Controller.jpg

You can close this thread now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I think the playstation controller is probably the most comfortable and usable controller. It just feels very natural to hold and you can comfortably press multiple buttons at any given moment.

The dreamcast(?) controller below, if you think about it, if you want to press any of the back buttons quickly as well as the six buttons in front, you need your index finger on the shoulder buttons always. This means you only have your thumb to press 6 different buttons, which means one at a time basically.

Thats stupid really imo. At least with the playstation controller, theres 4 buttons for the thumb to press and you can always press up to 4 shoulder buttons at any time, as well as full movement control. That sounds better and it definitely feels better to me anyways.

Im a bit drunk but all that sounds good in my head :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The PS2 pad, as a development of the PS1 Dual Shock is probably the most played with controller ever.
    And, because of its basic design remaining unchanged since the release of the Analog Pad on the PS1 back in the day, it has become the most "transparent" controller.
    Let me explain,
    The controller acts as a way for the actions in mind of the player to be translated into action onscreen, our way to control the game, to take part.
    So far so good.
    But the more controllers released, with new and interesting ways to send information to make our in game avatar do what we want it to do, then we set up a barrier to immersing ourselves, the controller becomes an element of the game where it should be the most unconscious part, how can we be a sniper, race car driver or blue hedgehog in trainers if we are hung up on how to make the game simply "go", as in buttons, triggers, analog sticks and what to do with them.
    Instead Sony produced a new way, a controller that remained essentially unchanged since 95, after learning where the shoulder, x, o, triangle and square buttons are we never had to learn another controller layout again, and so it acted as one less barrier to gaming, one less thing you have to learn to take part and one less obstacle to losing ones self in the gaming experience.
    Not sure that makes too much sense,
    but here's some examples to the contrary.
    Games that take the opposite tack and deliberately use controllers to be part of the gameplay would be Beatmania, Guitar Hero, Wiiwheel, in these cases instead of the controller becoming transparent, you want them to be part of the gamepplay experience, so they are made, well matter, you need to learn to be proficient with them to become good at the game, a barrier to immersion but after time it becomes learned.

To see what I mean, just see how frustrated noobies get when playing games for the first time, to them a PS controller is just as confusing as a Snes controller, as a Nights controller, as a 360 controller, and it's the reason a lot of people give up gaming before they really start, because the grammar of games, the push this to jump, push this stick to run this way or that, whilst 2nd nature to us, has to be learned by others, and this takes time and effort and in front of gamers is quite embarrassing.
    Hence why the Wiimote is probably going to create more gamers than the Nes controller, because it allows logical movements to control the action and lowers the requirements for taking part, letting people of all abilities to play and succeed, or at least not feel that their unfamiliarity with the controller is the reason for failure and so encourage practise.

You know what I mean?

And my fave controller is the 360 one, it's perfect, great button layout, proper triggers for racing games, nice solid weight and no pretentions to motion tracking, brilliant, and of course it mainstreamed wireless gameplay, up to this point ot was always an option, something that had to bought as an extra, the 360 freed us from cables strewn across the living room floor, awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

512bgvZEY4L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,291 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

i think i had that propad op, it was horrible compared to a wireless official 6 button. forget the turbo button mumbo-jumbo! and look at that d-pad, yuck!

personally, ill vote for the 360 pad, not very retro or anything but it really is a great, evolved design.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Personally hate the playstation controllers. When it was released it was horrible with one of the worst d-pads ever. Then they slapped 2 analog sticks willy nilly on to it. The only reason it's slightly comfortable is that my hands have been deformed from using it for so long. It's too bloody small as well.

I had a six button joypad for the megadrive, can't remember the brand but it was brilliant.:pac:
    I love the playstation controllers, I don't like the L2/R2 buttons on the dualshock 3 but I can live with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

The Gamecube controller was very comfortable; except for the z-button and triggers, it's a pleasure to play with. My favourite controller would have to be the Xbox 360 controller, though. The only limitation is the d-pad, but I seldom have to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

You Nostalgia, You Lose
    NES_controller.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

microsoft-official-xbox-controller.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Ah, the Duke :p
    They belong in a museum

PrivateEye wrote: »
    You Nostalgia, You Lose
    NES_controller.jpg

That thing used to kill my hands. So uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,291 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

what about this beauty? :p

Atari_jaguar_controller.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

Gamecube pad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

appleidog wrote: »
    Gamecube pad.

Yet you have the sega Saturn analogue pad as your icon!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

The 360 controller is the best controller around IMO, wraps around your hands and your fingers nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭qt9ukbg60ivjrn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Personally hate the playstation controllers. When it was released it was horrible with one of the worst d-pads ever. Then they slapped 2 analog sticks willy nilly on to it. The only reason it's slightly comfortable is that my hands have been deformed from using it for so long. It's too bloody small as well.

i agree

i remember being obsessed with tony hawk pro skater 2 for a couple of weeks, the L and R buttons were to do some tricks or something so they were constantly in that position. After a while my joints would seize up.

Nobody's mention the N64 controller.

It's like a snuggly fitting condom equivalent of the gaming world

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

i agree

i remember being obsessed with tony hawk pro skater 2 for a couple of weeks, the L and R buttons were to do some tricks or something so they were constantly in that position. After a while my joints would seize up.

Heh - Tony Hawk 3 and 4 for me, and the gamecube controller. With those triggers, it was much, much worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

i agree

Nobody's mention the N64 controller.

It's like a snuggly fitting condom equivalent of the gaming world

I like the N64. It was perfect for Goldeneye cause it felt like a gun with the trigger underneath. Is this where Xbox got the idea for trigger buttons or was it done before that ?

a92084ba8960e061dbae7ddd2c69daef_thumb.jpg

• Advertisement

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    I like the N64. It was perfect for Goldeneye cause it felt like a gun with the trigger underneath. Is this where Xbox got the idea for trigger buttons or was it done before that ?

a92084ba8960e061dbae7ddd2c69daef_thumb.jpg

i love golden eye!! still play the multiplayer any chance i get

As far as i can remember the N64 controller was teh first with buttons at the back of the pad but I kind of avoid the mega drive so maybe that might have had one with a trigger. i remember not knowing what to make of it the first time i held one

controllers.jpg

anyone play with the dream cast?? it was a behemoth, what the hell was the mini screen for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    USB_SEGA_Saturn_Controller.jpg

You can close this thread now :)

MegaDrive_6ButtonPad.jpg

Did not have that console, so I have to go with the daddy of them

• Registered Users Posts: 34,587 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

MegaDrive_6ButtonPad.jpg

Did not have that console, so I have to go with the daddy of them

+1. Best controller ever. Have mine hooked up to a supergun at the moment.

I was going to go on my usual spitting on/hating the n64 controller rant. But I was recently playing Lylat Wars and came to the conclusion that it actually does have a use. Still ended up with a hand cramp though.

o1s1n wrote: »
    +1. Best controller ever. Have mine hooked up to a supergun at the moment.

I was going to go on my usual spitting on/hating the n64 controller rant. But I was recently playing Lylat Wars and came to the conclusion that it actually does have a use. Still ended up with a hand cramp though.

BOO-UURRNNSS

i always stayed away from you sega types:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I don't think you can beat the classic NES controller. Just so simple and smooth. I mean, Being able to beat Super Mario with A,B left, right and down? That takes skill :pac:

Nes_Controller.jpg

Master of the Universe

BOO-UURRNNSS

i always stayed away from you sega types:pac:

Too right. You Nintendo fans are masochistic freaks. Just look at the corners on the Nes pad. Ow! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Too right. You Nintendo fans are masochistic freaks. Just look at the corners on the Nes pad. Ow! :pac:

The NES controller shall inherit the earth!

I bet you don't have a SEGA controller that size :p

My first console controller, you want blisters??
    leave the "analogue" stick on it!!

con_Atari7800Joypad.jpg

Master of the Universe

sega-ad.jpg

• Advertisement

sega-ad.jpg

I'd love to see Sony try that ad

Advertisement