Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

right to school?

Options
  • 03-07-2009 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Does a child have to be baptized to attend a public/national school?
    My wife is due our first soon and we're not intending on getting the child baptized but does this mean we will have limited or private schools as our only options?
    I'm just wondering because it seems like a weak excuse to follow a religion and acknowledge something i really don't believe in.
    So in short is there any legal rights for a child to attend a public/national school or does the priest/church have the right to refusal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Its been done to death, use the forum search functionality.

Here's a search of the forum, I'm sure you'll find a lot of information regarding the issue in previous threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Quadsey

Its been done to death, use the forum search functionality.
    If its really been done to death and is a re-occurring issue maybe it should be stickied
    Here's a search of the forum, I'm sure you'll find a lot of information regarding the issue in previous threads.
    Thanx for that i'll have a look.

Quadsey wrote: »
    If its really been done to death and is a re-occurring issue maybe it should be stickied
    Don't disagree with you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Long story short, there are no hard limitations, but baptized children get priority on the application lists.

Which is absurd. If I were any way close to having a child I`d be campaigning about this. Angry letters to politicians, that sort of thing.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    Which is absurd. If I were any way close to having a child I`d be campaigning about this. Angry letters to politicians, that sort of thing.
    Why wait ? Do now while you're still young and full of ideals ;)

Zillah wrote: »
    Long story short, there are no hard limitations, but baptized children get priority on the application lists.

Thanks for the short version. I just read through a hefty bunch of threads to get that exact info. So once again the church is flexing its control muscles whilst trying to give the illusion of choice.

Haha. But seriously no. I have way less responsible things to be doing right now. Plus I'm not even in the country.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

So in short is there any legal rights for a child to attend a public/national school or does the priest/church have the right to refusal?
    No, and yes is the answer to those questions.

Methinks if we stickied every topic that reoccurs regularly the front page would be stuffed with stickies. Probably worth a mention in one of the stickies up top but we all know that people don't read stickies and just want to ask the question anyway.

Look at it this way, there's a thread called "kids + school" currently on page 1 of A&A. I doubt the OP was going to pay much attention to a stickie having missed that.

Dades wrote: »
    Look at it this way, there's a thread called "kids + school" currently on page 1 of A&A. I doubt the OP was going to pay much attention to a stickie having missed that.

That thread has 5 pages and the whole first page was just silly comments being thrown back and forth so i didn't read on.

• Advertisement

No, and yes is the answer to those questions.

Methinks if we stickied every topic that reoccurs regularly the front page would be stuffed with stickies. Probably worth a mention in one of the stickies up top but we all know that people don't read stickies and just want to ask the question anyway.

How about we have one sticky called "Common Topics" or something, and in it we link to a handful of the better threads on the topics that come up again and again, like schools and baptism, evolution, origin of morality, leaving the church etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That thread has 5 pages and the whole first page was just silly comments being thrown back and forth so i didn't read on.
    There may have been a few silly posts in that thread as the topic has already been discussed to death in other threads.

Next time before you start a thread I'd appreciate if you'd bother reading more than one page of the numerous threads on the issue that can be found using the search option.

Next time before you start a thread I'd appreciate if you'd bother reading more than one page of the numerous threads on the issue that can be found using the search option.
    Next time? I've asked my question and got my answer but if i do find myself in need of advice again i'll be sure to post first, search later in your honour.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Sort of like we used to have in Usenet, gradually Web-2.0 reinvents the entire Internet and sticks it in a browser ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 countmeout.ie (Paul)

Some of you may have seen my other thread advertising our website www.countmeout.ie

Just to say, on this issue, we have written to the Dept of Education for clarification on the state's responsibility to provide schooling for all children, regardless of denomination, or lack thereof. What was said previously is broadly correct: that the schools can prioritise children who will not go against the school 'ethos'. What we are trying to find out is if parents cannot find a school for their child because of their lack of religious affiliation, what is the state's responsibility. When (if) we get a response, i'll let you all know.

Just to say, on this issue, we have written to the Dept of Education for clarification on the state's responsibility to provide schooling for all children, regardless of denomination, or lack thereof. What was said previously is broadly correct: that the schools can prioritise children who will not go against the school 'ethos'. What we are trying to find out is if parents cannot find a school for their child because of their lack of religious affiliation, what is the state's responsibility. When (if) we get a response, i'll let you all know.

Must say its a refreshing change to actually see someone who posts on a topic actually do something proactive about it.

Advertisement