Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do i install ubuntu 9.04 on spare partition?

Options
  • 03-07-2009 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

I have a 30gb partition on my hard drive that i have spare and i would like to install ubuntu on it. How exactly do i select this partition? Can anyone give me exact instructions on how to do it or is there any online step by step guide?? I don't want to mess anything up so i need specific details on the partitioning section of the installation. Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

First things first, have you tried a Live CD instance of Ubuntu to see if it will work with your hardware?

Also, rather than risking messing up your MBR, how about trying Wubi?

http://wubi-installer.org/

(after you've tried the Live CD).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

when you install ubuntu, you'll be prompted to what partition you want to install on...pick the 30gig one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Tom-eg

I don't want Wubi. I want a full install. I know i need to select to install to my 30Gb partition but how do i go about it step by step??

The installer for 9.04 gives two options

- to install ubuntu onto the entire disc or

- manually install

It isn't as simple as 8.04 where you could easily resize a partition. Can anyone tell me STEP BY STEP or send me a link how to select my partition without messing up the rest of my hard drive. I know i need to select my hard drive but i do not want to risk messing up my main partition so i need more info and while ubuntu 9.04's installer is very simple for a fresh install i need a bit more info to make sure i dont mess anything up while installing to another partition. A simple "install onto your 30Gb drive" isnt enough. Do you not think i have thought about that? I know that. I need specific instructions. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

The installer hasn't changed much in the past few releases, let alone the partitioner.

You need to make space for Linux on that drive. Seeing as you don't want to use WUBI, you will need to resize your Windows partition (probably your C drive). You can resize in Windows or using the Ubuntu installer. I'd suggest using the Windows partitioner (Disk Management) having defragmented your Windows partition beforehand.

When this is done, boot into the installer and, when prompted about partitioning, be sure to select the option to use free space or, if necessary, indicate to the installer what partition to use, i.e. what is the free partition, such as /dev/sda2. You can then allow the installer to create its own partitioning scheme following on from this unless you want to customise partitioning further.

Advertisement