Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10mm / 3/8' plastic Rod

Options
  • 03-07-2009 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭

Anyone out there know where I can get about 300mm of 10mm diameter delrin or other polymer, or hard plastic. I want to make some buttons for an old musical instrument so it has to be hard yet easy on the fingers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

this might sound crazy

but i remeber not so long ago there was an arts and crafts material called Fimo. Its still availible in art and crafts shop iirc.

It comes in every colour under the sun. you can even mix the coulrs.

what it is is a still maleable ( hope that correct spelling) plastic. which when baked in the oven goes rock hard.

i was think you can either roll the pieces out or make a cutter for the pieces.

End of crazy idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

it looks a bit flowery but i reckon it might do the trick

http://www.fimo.com/FIMO_Colours_GB.EBERHARDFABER?ActiveID=97251

depending how long the buttons are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭jack of all

Woodturners use plastic rod materials for making pens etc. might be worth asking over in the woodcraft forum....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

I'm used to hard materials, don't know that I'd be mad about the mouldable plastic and I doubt she'd let me near the oven with it. I'll keep looking but I'm trying to source something locally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭darcy.jonny

contact a company called hvac . they should be able to sort something out for you .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

trad wrote: »
    Anyone out there know where I can get about 300mm of 10mm diameter delrin or other polymer, or hard plastic. I want to make some buttons for an old musical instrument so it has to be hard yet easy on the fingers

More than 300 mm but anyway...
    http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=searchProducts&searchTerm=514-512&x=0&y=0

Seeing as you're in Dublin you can pick it up in Rialto and save yourself any delivery charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Woodturners use plastic rod materials for making pens etc. might be worth asking over in the woodcraft forum....
    Indeed they do ... try here for some examples of what's available ...

http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdCat.cgi/Pen===Blank,2,,,Pen===Blanks

They have all kinds of colours and patterns. They're a bit larger diameter than you want but they could easily be turned down to any size you want and then parted off to any thickness you wanted. Any woodturner could do it for you or maybe even an engineering machine shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Thanks for the posts, never thought of Radionics, ta very much.

Advertisement