Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook 'sparked white flight from MySpace'

Options
  • 03-07-2009 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,28348,25723022-5014239,00.html
    A "WHITE flight" to Facebook has turned MySpace into a black ghetto, according to a social analyst in the US.

Danah Boyd said Facebook's arrival sparked a migration from MySpace of white users, the educated and the wealthy, while non-whites had stuck together on MySpace.

MySpace is owned by News Corp, the parent company of the publisher of NEWS.com.au.

"It wasn't just anyone who left MySpace to go to Facebook," Ms Boyd, who works with Microsoft Research New England, told a crowd at New York's Democracy Forum.

"We might as well face an uncomfortable reality ... what happened was modern day 'white flight'."

Ms Boyd said MySpace had become a digital "ghetto".

"The people there are more likely to be brown or black and to have a set of values that terrifies white society," she said.

Her interviews with American teenagers since 2006 showed that online migration mimicked the patterns of class groups' movements across cities.

She found teens who preferred Facebook were far more likely to talk down to those who use MySpace than vice versa.

Ms Boyd said her research showed high school students found Facebook "more cultured" and "less cheesy" than MySpace.

"Any high school student who has a Facebook page will tell you MySpace users are more likely to be barely educated and obnoxious," she said.

Ms Boyd also warned that the class divisions on social sites will harden over time.

"Their decision to (move to Facebook) was wrapped up in their connections to others, in their belief that a more peaceful, quiet, less-public space would be more idyllic."

I don't use Facebook coz it gives me a headache after two minutes of staring at a white and blue page (eh...unlike boards...which is....nice to look at...heh.) And MySpace is great for checking out bands.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

So that'd make Bebo the Trailer Park then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Ah ok,
    Thats why Myspace crime is so high and the property value is next to nothing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

chin_grin wrote: »

I don't use Facebook coz it gives me a headache

Yeah well a person in possession of a lower IQ would say that. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Time for Facebook to start offer a free basketball for each sign-up to entice the blacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

There's already enough minority enticements on Facebook;

See
    or here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Time for Facebook to start offer a free basketball for each sign-up to entice the blacks.
    :D

Who cares though? Social networking is a laod of ****e. It's not real life. Will social analysts stop fckn analysing it and do some worthwhile research ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

maybe instead of offering English(Pirate) they should offer English(Ghetto)?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

bleg wrote: »
    maybe instead of offering English(Pirate) they should offer English(Ghetto)?

It was tried before;
    but they just used Piratebay and so no profit was made

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Something similar happened in Ireland when many people left Bebo for Facebook, after Bebo became overrun with Decker McGowens and Ricky Dunnes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

pity White flight is a load of shit anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

pity White flight is a load of shite anyway.

....to make it rhyme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

....to make it rhyme

stevedublin for poet laureate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

WindSock wrote: »
    Yeah well a person in possession of a lower IQ would say that. :pac:

Feel better now that's off yer t!ts? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

I think it's crazy that people actually 'study' these phenomena. Some of the language used comes across as hyperbolic at times:
    Originally Posted by Danah Boyd
    "Their decision to (move to Facebook) was wrapped up in their connections to others, in their belief that a more peaceful, quiet, less-public space would be more idyllic."

What kind of verbal tripe is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I like facebook, no txtspk and no crap DIY backgrounds or flashing sh*te gif everywhere. Very suburbia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wonder is boards getting more gangsta?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

mike65 wrote: »
    I wonder is boards getting more gangsta?

Just not possible. Gansta saturation been at the max since I joined.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Myspace is just a popularity contest and is full of women who need assurances that they are 'hot' by posting bulletins on average every 33.2 seconds directing them to thier new pics and saying how incredible they are. Listen here Candice, i dont care that you are doing a photoshoot in an igloo, and i dont care how they got the igloo to LA, and no, you are a munter.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Facebook was more reassuringly middle class until they dropped the 3rd level requirement.

It will have to do until someone starts the social networking equivalent of the Drones Club...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Started out on myspace add random weirdo who sent request and realised how pointless it all was. Bebo was the next temptation which I duly ignored. Then all my Fam was talking about Facebook, so I joined there a few of my friends on there too but hard convincing a few of them to leave Bebo. There loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Why can't people just be on MySpace...and...wait for it...Facebook! Heck, you might even be on Bebo too!!! Fresh thinking, I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

"White flight" on the internet? How terrible sensationalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

jumpguy wrote: »
    Why can't people just be on MySpace...and...wait for it...Facebook! Heck, you might even be on Bebo too!!! Fresh thinking, I know.

Now see here you, we dont like that well thought out and sensible kinda talk in After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I is on Myspace.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"White flight" on the internet? How terrible sensationalist.
    just because its the internet that doesnt make it cool for you to flash off your smelly poo poo, Hungus.

Wait till its like futurama Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I much prefer myspace.
    I like that i can actually customize my page and not just do what the website thinks is good.
    I mean with html and css.

Face book is just packed full of annoying groups and childish games, which tbh just get on my metaphorical tits.

Myspace is for people that can actually use the internet, where as, Facebook is for people that haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

jumpguy wrote: »

I have all of them.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

galwayrush wrote: »
    I is on Myspace.

Well you must be a Ni-

Nice person then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Will somebody add me as a friend?

My Page

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

CianRyan wrote: »
    I much prefer myspace.
    I like that i can actually customize my page and not just do what the website thinks is good.
    I mean with html and css.

Face book is just packed full of annoying groups and childish games, which tbh just get on my metaphorical tits.

Myspace is for people that can actually use the internet, where as, Facebook is for people that haven't a clue.

Most people's MySpace pages remind me of Geocities pages at the end of the 90s.

Advertisement