Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post-cao help!

Options
  • 03-07-2009 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Ok, for the lack of a better phrase, I made a bags of my CAO. Don't tell me I'm stupid (I know that already lol :D) but a course I thought I might like is nothing at all akin to my interests, wants etc...

So I was just wondering...can you change your cao now? Or is it gone forever?

Comments

The CAO is not the be all or end all. You can start the course, and immediately request a transfer internally. If you've got the points necessary and there's a free place (and for big courses like Arts, Science, Engineering (general) in most colleges there's not much of a problem with this) you should be allowed in. However, it's normally done on a first come first served basis. You can also transfer between colleges, usually based on the same criteria. If/when you accept a course (if you do) you are normally assigned a tutor. Meet up with them or contact them through some means and mention how you're looking to change, and they'll get the paperwork ready for you.

Alternatively you could give the CAO a call to see what the craic is. But there's plenty of ways to get where you go, just usually lots of brick walls in the way that have to be overcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

Well do you have a high chance of getting said course. If it's not your first choice, you could always reject the offer and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

when the cao ofers come out week of 17th august have a look at the vacant places on www.cao.ie and there may be something there that you'd prefer. In the meantime enjoy the summer, watch the tour de france and big brother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kidaamnesiac

Cheers for the posts!

But I'll try and rectify stuff a bit more to make it clearer.

I put down psychology as my first two choices on my cao (Trinners and UCD respectively) and as such...I've got maybe an outside chance at the first, and a decent (not definite though by any means) of the second. But, i ended up getting cold feet (my guidance counsellor said you HAVE to get a post grad or youre pretty much screwed) and I opted for English, the only course I liked in school.

However, I read into more detail, and I found that English in Trinners is nothing but THE HISTORY part of the language, feminist poetry from the 16th Century? Ugh...no interest in that like). Hope that helps or what...

Oh, and my now unwanted first two choices are English at the same two universities..

my now unwanted first two choices are English at the same two universities..

so you might have a decent chance of getting into arts in trin or ucd by transfer? would any of the subjects in arts appeal to you?

btw evening arts and daytime part-time arts in UCD were vacant places last year but dunno if there's a grant for those like the full-time course

• Advertisement

Haha, not really no. I think its level 8? And both those are exclusive do them for four/five years or whatever. I know loads of people who do arts like but for those kind of courses, how flexible can you be?

pathway33 wrote: »
    so you might have a decent chance of getting into arts in trin or ucd by transfer? would any of the subjects in arts appeal to you?

btw evening arts and daytime part-time arts in UCD were vacant places last year but dunno if there's a grant for those like the full-time course

Nope, no grant for part-time courses. Unfortunately.

Tax relief on the fees though.

do them for four/five years or whatever. I know loads of people who do arts like but for those kind of courses, how flexible can you be?

yeah you can do the part-time daytime arts in UCD in 4 years. It's identical to DN012 in terms of module choices except you have to cough up the dosh. So if you're rich click here http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=16

Cheers again, but just to confirm...

If I say, get enough points for psychology in trinity, and i get accepted into english, i can go to the tutor and make the swap? I'm incredibly paranoid about this...

A LOT of stress would be allieviated lol...:)

Cheers again, but just to confirm...

If I say, get enough points for psychology in trinity, and i get accepted into english, i can go to the tutor and make the swap? I'm incredibly paranoid about this...

A LOT of stress would be allieviated lol...:)

Um erm no who told you that?!! i gave the example of arts in UCD because there's like 1200 places, and there's likely to be transfers arising after the course starts. With psychology in trinity there's i think 32 places in one stream and 17 in the other so even if you are first in the queue what's the chances of someone dropping out? But you never know, you might get lucky ;)

• Advertisement

I guess I'm screwed then...:(

you can do psychology through arts in ucd anyway if that's any use to you. all you have to do is find another few subjects you like

Advertisement