Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surge in number of pupils in primary schools

Options
  • 03-07-2009 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

A study commissioned by the Department of Education shows that the soaring birth rate in Ireland is creating a need for many more schools.

The study was conducted using data from the Central Statistics Office, the General Register Office, and the Department of Social and Family Affairs.
    According to the figures, the number of births last year rose to 72,000, compared to 48,255 fifteen years ago. This means that there will be over 500,000 primary school pupils in our schools for the foreseeable future.
    Inward migration is another factor which is helping to push up the number of enrolments in schools.
    In 2000, the number of primary school children was less than 440,000. In 2005, it had risen to 457,889 and it has been rising since.

This growth in numbers is expected to reach second level by 2016, resulting in an increase of 51,500 pupils in post primary schools and an estimated need for 50 new schools at this level.
    INTO general secretary John Carr said the new figures showed the scale of the task facing the Department of Education and Science.
    "The birth rate has increased by more than 40 per cent in recent years. This means additional schools, classrooms and teachers will have to be provided. The department will have to streamline procedures, and timeframes for the delivery of new schools and classrooms must be shortened," Mr Carr said. (Source: Irish Independ:eek:

We will soon be over populated lol :D

http://www.educationmatters.ie/2009/05/19/surge-in-number-of-pupils-in-primary-schools/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Mandatory sterilizations/vasectomies ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Hopefully this new flu virus mutates to kill either anyone over 60 or kids under 3. Would make the world a happier place in the long term......after the initial grieving we'd get on with it and with less people realise that we can indeed get along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

chin_grin wrote: »
    Hopefully this new flu virus mutates to kill either anyone over 60 or kids under 3. Would make the world a happier place in the long term......after the initial grieving we'd get on with it and with less people realise that we can indeed get along.

Easy to see you have no kids or grandparents or heart :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

Looks like we need another famine to thin out our ranks!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

51,000 extra pupils and only 50 extra schools? that's over 1000 students per school :eek:

• Advertisement

A report from the CSO (Central Statistics Office) states that the population of Ireland, at its current rate of increase, could rise to 5.5 million from the 4 million at present (there was a 33,000 natural increase in the population plus 53,000 net inward migration this year, with future estimates of at least 30,000 net inward migration per year until 2015, 20,000 until 2020 and 15,000 per annum until 2030).
    As a result, around 1 in 5 people could be non-nationals. Only a few countries like Canada, New Zealand and Australia have similar ratios (of over 18%). This will have many positive effects as we move towards a true multi-ethnic society here in Ireland, but this change will also lead to a sharp increase in the number of households in the country (estimates are that this will almost double from 1.2 million to 2 million in 25 years time).

http://www.johnbreslin.com/blog/2005/10/05/1-in-5-ireland-residents-to-be-non-nationals-by-2030/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

shqipshume wrote: »
    Easy to see you have no kids or grandparents or heart :rolleyes:

Oh, I do. I just like to think outside the box....or if everyones thinking outside the box then inside that box. Nevermind.

But seriously there are too many people on this planet. We're not special anymore.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Baby boom FTW. The next celtic tiger will start in 18 years. The year to buy a property will be 2025 and the year to dispose of it will be 2035. Mark my words.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,866 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Abortions for some, "Teaching for Dummies" books for the rest!

To much to copy have a read :eek:
    http://www.uniset.ca/naty/maternity/it_figures.htm

There were 47,500 work permits issued last year, of whom only a proportion would have the right to have their family, if they have one, with them. Since 1992 6,363 people have been granted asylum, with 3,375 asylum applicants awaiting a decision. It is unlikely that more than half the remaining births were to refugees or asylum-seekers.

The largest group of non-nationals giving birth in Ireland is Nigerian. They accounted for 1,237 births in 2002 and 1,528 in 2003, out of a total number of non-national births of 5,322 and 5,625 respectively. This means they accounted for about one in four non-national births in 2002, and about two out of every seven in 2003.

The other group significantly represented in the figures is Romanian, with 496 Romanian mothers giving birth in Dublin in 2002, and 470 in 2003. This means that they accounted for about 10 per cent and 9 per cent of all non-national births in those years.

This corresponds to their presence among asylum-seekers. In 2003, 39.4 per cent of all asylum-seekers were Nigerian, and 9.8 per cent were Romanian, making up about half the total between them. However, the total number of non-national births includes those who are not, and never were, in the asylum process, so we cannot make a direct comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Surge in number of pupils in primary schools

Child labour FTW.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

seamus wrote: »
    Baby boom FTW. The next celtic tiger will start in 18 years. The year to buy a property will be 2025 and the year to dispose of it will be 2035. Mark my words.
    Quoted for 'kin truth. Exactly what I was thinking. IMHO I'd put it even earlier though. The big baby boom that caused a lot of this was my generation, late 60's early 70's. Hence when I got to college age the amount of places in colleges was seriously small and results required for the "easiest" arts courses were very high. That generation has had kids already and they're at the 5 to 12 years of age. Bigger spread in the numbers though, so I can see mini property booms hitting even before your date. 2020 I'd reckon.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Hasn't there been a large influx into schools already? For example, those entering primary school in 2007 were born around 2003 - the height of the Celtic Tiger I believe. Strange how this is just being announced now...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Don't worry, Cowen will be closing the primary schools soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

chin_grin wrote: »
    Oh, I do. I just like to think outside the box....or if everyones thinking outside the box then inside that box. Nevermind.

But seriously there are too many people on this planet. We're not special anymore.

:rolleyes:

I must have missed the memo where mass murder was the only solution to our growth in population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Warning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Wibbs wrote: »
    Quoted for 'kin truth. Exactly what I was thinking. IMHO I'd put it even earlier though. The big baby boom that caused a lot of this was my generation, late 60's early 70's. Hence when I got to college age the amount of places in colleges was seriously small and results required for the "easiest" arts courses were very high. That generation has had kids already and they're at the 5 to 12 years of age. Bigger spread in the numbers though, so I can see mini property booms hitting even before your date. 2020 I'd reckon.
    /takes notes and looks forward to prosperous future as bastard property magnate/slum landlord with trophy wife/a dozen mistresses/Barbados retirement villa \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

A report from the CSO (Central Statistics Office) states that the population of Ireland, at its current rate of increase, could rise to 5.5 million from the 4 million at present (there was a 33,000 natural increase in the population plus 53,000 net inward migration this year, with future estimates of at least 30,000 net inward migration per year until 2015, 20,000 until 2020 and 15,000 per annum until 2030).
    As a result, around 1 in 5 people could be non-nationals. Only a few countries like Canada, New Zealand and Australia have similar ratios (of over 18%). This will have many positive effects as we move towards a true multi-ethnic society here in Ireland, but this change will also lead to a sharp increase in the number of households in the country (estimates are that this will almost double from 1.2 million to 2 million in 25 years time).

http://www.johnbreslin.com/blog/2005/10/05/1-in-5-ireland-residents-to-be-non-nationals-by-2030/

I'd take that with a pinch of salt. The recession will destroy those figures.

Some immigrants along with their kids have gone home as well as some have stayed.
    Some Irish have emigrated as well as their kids so my guess is that the population will stagnate at best for the next 5 years at least!

Its like the 80s again with plenty of kids around but less working adults, expect that birth rate to fall per year within 5 years just like the 90s!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I must have missed the memo where mass murder was the only solution to our growth in population.

Solution? Here's me thinking the drop in birth rate is a worrying trend for Europeans. Let the babies flow!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭devereaux17

gurramok wrote: »
    I'd take that with a pinch of salt. The recession will destroy those figures.

Some immigrants along with their kids have gone home as well as some have stayed.
    Some Irish have emigrated as well as their kids so my guess is that the population will stagnate at best for the next 5 years at least!

Its like the 80s again with plenty of kids around but less working adults, expect that birth rate to fall per year within 5 years just like the 90s!

umm dont think so. i doubt the sort of people who have gone to australia(for a year) have kids. also i'd say immigrants who have kids here are way way more likely to stay than single 20 something male/female immigrant. kids kinda bind you to a place really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

phasers wrote: »
    51,000 extra pupils and only 50 extra schools? that's over 1000 students per school :eek:

There were over 3000 students at my school when I was growing up, it's not really that bad :pac:
    umm dont think so. i doubt the sort of people who have gone to australia(for a year) have kids. also i'd say immigrants who have kids here are way way more likely to stay than single 20 something male/female immigrant. kids kinda bind you to a place really.

True, I'm here to stay and momentarily will be stealing your job and your wimmin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭devereaux17

lol i dont mind my best friend is from libya.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

phasers wrote: »

That's FF maths for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

They won't have kids here, women usually have kids before 40 so those adults who are emigrating from aged 20-40 will have their kids in Aussieland for example, hence lowering our birth rate at home! :)

Of course when the current sprogs reach adulthood and there are plenty of jobs in 2030, expect that birth rate to leap again!

Why would immigrants stay, hope your not suggesting its something to do with generous social welfare rates? ;):D

Advertisement