Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs catch colds??

Options
  • 03-07-2009 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

My dog hasnt been herself lately, as in sneezing, eyes weeping and very chesty? Not eating as much but i put that down to the hot weather, extra clingy, she is 18mth old english setter.

So my question is can dogs get colds or hay feever??? As her systoms pretty much like mine :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Yes they can get similar infections to humans i.e bronchitis, pneumonia and allergies (hay fever type symptoms). If your dogs symptoms persist longer than a few days id take her to the vets as the ones you describe could be linked to a range of things and would have to be ruled out by elimination. Is she vaccinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

Yes, she is all update on everything, even had kennel cough injection back in may!

She is still running around like a lunatic, so dont think its serious but your right i'll keep an eye on her, the poor thing she's just like a baby, she's a big girl so you can easily forget she'll still a pup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mollyflops

Last summer my 1yr old westie sounded v much like ure baby, we took him to vets and he said he had kennel cough even though he had just been vaccinated about 2months before, there are many strains and there is no way to vaccinate against them all. Full recovery cos we caught it early so be vigilant and i;d suggest describing symptoms over phone to vet and see what he/she says, if they any way decent they will sort u out.
    best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

This is a little bit crass so I apologise in advance.

About ten years ago there was a really virulent tummy bug going around. I had just returned from England was only back 2/3 hrs when I got it. The whole house and country had it.
    Anyway the dog got it too, a little terrier, through my misery I felt sorry for the dog. He was running around the back with diarrhea trying to run away from his bum. He was so upset, couldn't understand what has happening. He was yelping and barking at his bum, giving out to it.

I felt sorry for the poor dog, although I was miserable myself. Two or three hours later the dog was fine. It was one of those really virulent but short bugs.

So yes, dogs can even pick up bugs from humans

Thanks everyone, i'll keep an eye on her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Just to let you know, dogs can still catch kennel cough even if they have had the vaccine. There are so many strains of kennel cough that the vaccine doesnt cover everything.

I would recommend bringing the dog to the vet if it sounds chesty etc, as it could develop pneumonia if it has problems with its lungs. If the eyes are weeping too it sounds like an infection which will need an antibiotic for it to clear up, i wouldnt be leaving the dog for much longer to be honest without a trip to the vet.

May sound stupid question but how do dogs catch Kennell cough, I thought they had to be around other dogs ie. kennels, training etc?? Or does it take a while to show??

She's not around other dogs, only if she met one while out walking and she hasnt been to training in a few months and was in kennels back in early May

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Kennel cough is highly contagious so if she was around another dog that had it, the chances are she would get it.
    Meeting a dog out walking that had it could be enough to pass it on.

:eek:

Just rang home, she seems better today, just been out for a big walk and fine after it not chesty. Will keeps tabs on her..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

My intention is certainly not to panic anybody, but runny eyes etc in dogs can be an indication of a deeper problem. One of my dogs had a red eye last summer, about this time of year, I took him to the vets because I thought maybe it was an allergic reaction, hay fever or something similar. The vet thought it probably was as well, gave me some drops, said it should clear it up if that was the problem. It didn't clear up, so back to the vets we went, they took some bloods and the poor fella had lymphoma, he died 6 weeks later, he was only 5 and had always been a really healthy dog up until that point. (Well, apart from when he got bitten by an adder on holiday when he was a pup:rolleyes:)

As I say, I don't want to panic you, it probably is just a cold, but I would suggest a trip to the vet just to check the dog over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 The Lolo

My mum's chocolate lab has just been on a course of antihistamines as she had hayfever! itchy eyes, sneezes and a red rash on her tummy, so hayever is possible in dogs!

Advertisement