Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Almera Engine Warning light

Options
  • 03-07-2009 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi all,
    My Nissan Almera (2003) was a bit jerky when I first start the engine in the last couple of days and didn't think much to it.
    Yesterday, I was overtaking and then all the sudden the engine stopped, and there was no power for few mintues, Couldn't even switch the indicators on.
    This morning when I started the car, the engine warning light came on and after few mintues of driving the engine stopped and there was no power for a
    couple of mintues again.
    Does anybody know what's wrong? and how much it'd cost to fix. Should I be driving it? It's the last thing I need as I'm struggling financially.
    Thank you.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Is it petrol or diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Happened on one I was driving. apparently the garage cleaned the Throttle Body and that solved it. Dont know how true that is but thats what they told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Sound like a sensor is gone, diagnostic should tell you for

definite. In the mean time, check the engine yourself to see

if the earths are good on the engine, check the big fuses near the battery

Clean the trottle body, also the cam sensor(carbon builds up on theses).

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

If its a 03 model OP, the timing chain on these models have a known issue and can cause the camshaft timing sensors to trigger a fault. However if you have no electrics working on your car, then the issue is something else altogether... Possibly battery/battery connectivity or alternator issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

More than likely either the camshaft sensor is gone or the timing chain has stretched.

• Advertisement

More than likely either the camshaft sensor is gone or the timing chain has stretched.

The stretching timing chain on that model is a well known issue usually around 40K and this shows up as a cam sensor error but in fact the sensors are usually fine, it's just that the camshaft will lag substantially when the chain is worn and this causes a cam position sensor "unexpected signal", to be generated because the cam position signal is not coming when it was due, caused of course by the timing being out due to the loose timing chain.

But if there is no power after the engine cuts out, then this sounds to me like something completely different.

OP as you have an engine fault light on, best to get that diagnosed first to see what is going on there...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The lack of any form of electrical power would worry me the most being honest. Was there any rev delay previous to this? (thinking o2 sensor/Air filter issue). It sounds like there is a power issue somewhere. Driven through any floods or anything lately that could have shorted something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

Darragh29 wrote: »
    in fact the sensors are usually fine

Actually this is incorrect. Cam sensors are a common fault (chains also), I understand Nissan dealers replaced many over the last few years especially on N16 Almeras which is the Op's model. The sensors suffer from heat soak, thus the vehicle can start from cold but cut out after engine becomes hot enough to affect the sensor or not operate at all. With a bit of luck it's only a sensor fault.

Actually this is incorrect. Cam sensors are a common fault (chains also), I understand Nissan dealers replaced many over the last few years especially on N16 Almeras which is the Op's model. The sensors suffer from heat soak, thus the vehicle can start from cold but cut out after engine becomes hot enough to affect the sensor or not operate at all. With a bit of luck it's only a sensor fault.

I meant that the timing chain is usually the problem on the 03 Almera's even though the sensor will trigger the fault. I've seen several times lads changing sensors because when they hook up the car to the computer, the fault code is "cam position unexpected signal", so they change the sensors and start up the car and the same errors are generated again and the fault light comes back on again. There is a procedure for checking timing chain wear by measuring how far out the hydraulic chain adjuster is out, but this is beyond the scope of the discussion here.

I accept on the older Almera's that the sensors themselves can cause trouble...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 nz039926

Hi,
    Took my car to the garage. Engineer connected it to diagnostics equipment which gave him fault code "Cramshaft Sensor"
    Engineer said he cleared the code by disconnecting then reconnecting the battery.
    He said if the Engine warning light comes on again then I might need to a new sensor. He said he'd replace it for free and charged me £51 for
    diagnostics.
    Now, when I first start the car and before driving it the engine stops once or twice and after that it's OK. When I'm driving the car in low gears
    it feels a bit jerky.
    Was the engineer right to clear the code?
    How likely for the same problem to happen again?
    Should I change the sensor and be done with it?

Thank you.

• Advertisement

Hi again,

Before taking car to the garage noticed there was harldly no oil so I put some. First time since I bought the car 2 years ago. Could that be anything to do
    with it?
    Is the Cramshaft sensor expensive?
    Thanks.

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Is it petrol or diesel?

Petrol

Hi,

My car has done 75000 miles. Read somewhere there's a recall related to Nissan almera sensors, is it true?

Thanks again.

It's best practice OP to clear the fault code to see if it will reoccur. Also, the part at issue here is a camshaft sensor not a cramshaft sensor!

I don't think the part is that expensive but pay attention to what I've said above on this matter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

nz039926 wrote: »
    Hi,

My car has done 75000 miles. Read somewhere there's a recall related to Nissan almera sensors, is it true?

Thanks again.

We had an 01 and an 03 Almera at home and both had their cam positioning sensors replaced under warranty. It was a recall not long after both were bought new. Free replacement sounds about right

Hi all,
    My engine warning light is back on now. And now the engine never starts first time from cold, I have to try 4 & 5 times. Also, the engine cut off twice while I'm driving.
    Does any know for sure if there's a recall for this or do I have to pay for repairs myslef?
    If I have to pay for it myslef, should I start by replacing the sensor first?
    Thanks.

Hi all,
    My engine warning light is back on now. And now the engine never starts first time from cold, I have to try 4 & 5 times. Also, the engine cut off twice while I'm driving.
    Does any know for sure if there's a recall for this or do I have to pay for repairs myslef?
    If I have to pay for it myslef, should I start by replacing the sensor first?
    Thanks.

No, get the timing chain checked for the correct tension and get the fault codes read and see what they are...

No, get the timing chain checked for the correct tension and get the fault codes read and see what they are...

Sorry, I'm no expert, Can I check the timining chain myself, or do I need to take it the garage?
    I'll take the car to the local garage in the morning.
    Am I making the situation worse by driving the car?

Thanks.

Sorry, I'm no expert, Can I check the timining chain myself, or do I need to take it the garage?
    I'll take the car to the local garage in the morning.
    Am I making the situation worse by driving the car?

Thanks.

No you'd need to go to a garage and get it checked professionally. I'm just pointing out that to jump in and replace parts as you suggested without a proper diagnosis by an outlet that has the staff with the necessary training and also the correct diagnosis equipment, is just wasting your money...

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭mondymike

my gf's almera was idling badly before so i put redex in the throttle body as per instructions. at this point the same light as you describe (yellow box with lines around) came on. So i'm in the same boat. i'll try and see myself and look at the tensioner, but i think diagnostics is best option. Place just off ncr, opp where dci cars and another small garage heading for g/gormon is good enough for diagnostics

• Advertisement

No you'd need to go to a garage and get it checked professionally. I'm just pointing out that to jump in and replace parts as you suggested without a proper diagnosis by an outlet that has the staff with the necessary training and also the correct diagnosis equipment, is just wasting your money...

Hi again,

Took car to a local garage and asked Enginner to check the timing chain and the tension on it.
    Will get back to you as soon as he manages to do that. He said he'll try to do it today.

I phoned a Nissan dealer who said there's no recall, and recommended another diagnostics with them.

This morning I had to try starting the car about 8-9 times. Once it got going it was ok. But again a bit jerky at low gears.
    I don't know if it's my imagination but I think it's cosuming more petrol than usual.

If something wrong with its tension, can the timing chain repaired or is a replacement needed?
    If nothing wrong with it, what's next?

I'm hoping it won't cost me alot as I'm struggling as it is.

Thanks.

Hi again,

Took car to a local garage and asked Enginner to check the timing chain and the tension on it.
    Will get back to you as soon as he manages to do that. He said he'll try to do it today.

I phoned a Nissan dealer who said there's no recall, and recommended another diagnostics with them.

This morning I had to try starting the car about 8-9 times. Once it got going it was ok. But again a bit jerky at low gears.
    I don't know if it's my imagination but I think it's cosuming more petrol than usual.

If something wrong with its tension, can the timing chain repaired or is a replacement needed?
    If nothing wrong with it, what's next?

I'm hoping it won't cost me alot as I'm struggling as it is.

Thanks.

Well last time I saw this problem with the Almera timing chin worn, I diagnosed it and in fairness to the customer, she had thought she had a one year warranty on the car with Nissan so I told her to go up to them and show them my diagnosis and ask can it be covered under her warranty, because this was going to cost I think around 800 Euro to get resolved if I was doing it for her.

So she brought it back and as it turned out her car was just out of warranty, but they accepted that at 50,000 miles, she should not be having this issue so they managed somehow to push the transaction through as a partial warranty issue on a goodwill basis, I think she ended up paying 100 Euro or something for parts, which was as good as it was going to get...

Just with these type of jobs, be sure you are dealing with a reputable indy who has the diagnostic equipment or else a main dealer.

Well last time I saw this problem with the Almera timing chin worn, I diagnosed it and in fairness to the customer, she had thought she had a one year warranty on the car with Nissan so I told her to go up to them and show them my diagnosis and ask can it be covered under her warranty, because this was going to cost I think around 800 Euro to get resolved if I was doing it for her.

So she brought it back and as it turned out her car was just out of warranty, but they accepted that at 50,000 miles, she should not be having this issue so they managed somehow to push the transaction through as a partial warranty issue on a goodwill basis, I think she ended up paying 100 Euro or something for parts, which was as good as it was going to get...

Just with these type of jobs, be sure you are dealing with a reputable indy who has the diagnostic equipment or else a main dealer.

Hi,

The engineer got back to me and said there's nothing wrong with the timing chain and the camshaft sensor is definitly the guilty part.
    He said the part costs about £90+VAT. I'm hoping once the part is replaced it'll be the end of this.
    Will have to get rid of it if after this, I turn the key and I'm still having the same problem.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

There was a recall in 2002. Check you VIN or call Nissan to see is your model affected.

Recall Ref: R2001/154
    Exact Model: Almera Almera Tino and Primera
    Description: ENGINE MAY STALL
    VIN: PRIMERA: 370002 TO 581294 ALMERA TINO: 000001 TO 067010 ALMERA: 000001 TO 171933
    Build Date:
    Numbers: 34480
    Defect: A concern has been identified affecting 1.5, 1.6 and 1.8 petrol engine crankshaft and camshaft position sensors (a common part). An internal failure of the component may cause the engine to stall and not restart.
    Action: Recall affected vehicles and fit a quality assured replacement crankshaft and camshaft position sensor.
    Launch Date: 29 January 2002

Hi,

The engineer got back to me and said there's nothing wrong with the timing chain and the camshaft sensor is definitly the guilty part.
    He said the part costs about £90+VAT. I'm hoping once the part is replaced it'll be the end of this.
    Will have to get rid of it if after this, I turn the key and I'm still having the same problem.
    Thanks.

Happy days, hope this sorts the issue out for you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

OP, as I said above there was a recall for this. Nissan paid for the work on my wife's Alerma as part of the recall. You might get it done for free too.

Advertisement