Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you doing this Sunday??

Options
  • 03-07-2009 4:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭

Guys and girls, if you're doing nothing this Sunday, and have a few quid to spare, get down to Cork and support our footballers in the Munster Final! Its not often Limerick reach a final, '04 was the last time when we came oh so close to toppling Kerry. A few of this team has been on the go for 10 years now with no rewards as yet. They train just as hard as the hurlers but dont get anywhere near as much support. So i'm making an appeal to all of you sporting folk out there to get down to Pairc Ui Chaoimh this Sunday and give these guys your support. It would mean a lot to them. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

Hear Hear (or is it here here :confused:)
    it kills me to see the hurlers getting all the support and the footballers being ignored
    one is a team of prima donna over hyped recovering alcoholics (hurlers)
    the other a team of dedicated, hard working decent footballers who give their all to the jersey and the people of the so called "sporting capital of ireland" ignore them.
    Sporting capital? My hole!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

If Sky Sports were doing the marketing for this there would be fights in the street looking for tickets. Alas unless it's all presented to them in a nice little package the "sports mad" people of Limerick don't want to know about it.

Best of Luck to the lads on Sunday. Time to end 113 years of hurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Is it all ticket or can you pay at the gate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

u can pay at the gate. Limerick peoples claim to the sporting capital of Ireland will be tested this weekend. Our Footballers are in a munster final, with the chance to cause a huge upset and bring the cup home after 113 years. Yet I bet there wont be more than a few hundred limerick fans there.....but as soon as the Munster Bandwagon starts up again watch everyone claim to be the greatest sports city in Ireland
    so what constitutes GREAT sports fans??? Going to 5 rugby games a year and knowing the words to a song about Galway???? But not bothering your holes to support a REAL Limerick team.....

Baldie wrote: »
    Is it all ticket or can you pay at the gate?

I don't think you'll be able to pay directly at the gate but there will huts selling tickets near the gates if you know what I'm saying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Liam79 wrote: »
    . Our Footballers are in a munster final, with the chance to cause a huge upset and bring the cup home after 113 years. .....

I thought it was a hundred years?

I havent seen one flag up in West Limerick in support of the lads. We're putting a sign up for the St Kierans players this evening to get a bit of a buzz going for them. I hope they'll be a few signs/flags up on the road to Cork.

I hope those who travel down for the match make some noise. Limerick football fans are terrible for chants,flag waving etc, probably cos there mostly made up of auld fellas. A few choruses from the fans can really lift a team so lets make our presence heared!

Oh and fair play to JP, he brought the entire squad new suits and shoes for the occasion. I have a good feeling about Sunday........:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

Ill be travelling down to support my beloved Cork. GO ON THE REBELS!!!

I dont understand why there is a statue outside of the AIB on O Connell st with a rugby player, a hurling player and no football player!

solice wrote: »
    Ill be travelling down to support my beloved Cork. GO ON THE REBELS!!!

I dont understand why there is a statue outside of the AIB on O Connell st with a rugby player, a hurling player and no football player!

That is a footballer, the ball just got punctured by the hurley ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I wish them all the best but in all likelyness they'll be hammered out the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

You'll be able to get tickets outside the Pairc on the day. You can also buy them from the Gaelic Grounds and thru Ticketmaster from Empire Music.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Would be great if the footballers did it but Limerick football fans need to lose the bitterness about people supporting hurling, rugby, whatever, it's hardly going to entice new supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Would be great if the footballers did it but Limerick football fans need to lose the bitterness about people supporting hurling, rugby, whatever, it's hardly going to entice new supporters.
    Limerick footballers dont have many supporters for the simple reason that they haven't been successful yet. Success breeds support, but without support in the first place, its hard to be successful. Its the chicken and egg scenario. When we were going toe to toe with Kerry for Munster in 03 and 04, we brought about plenty fans to the Gaelic Grounds and outnumbered Kerry fans in Killarney in the 04 final replay. Also think back to the U-21 All Ireland final in 2000, there was 11,000 fans in Mullingar that day, and no exaggeration, id estimate 10,500 of those were wearing green. The support base is definitely there, it just needs to be stimulated. What better way that to win a Munster title on Sunday.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Liam79 wrote: »
    u can pay at the gate. Limerick peoples claim to the sporting capital of Ireland will be tested this weekend. Our Footballers are in a munster final, with the chance to cause a huge upset and bring the cup home after 113 years. Yet I bet there wont be more than a few hundred limerick fans there.....but as soon as the Munster Bandwagon starts up again watch everyone claim to be the greatest sports city in Ireland
    so what constitutes GREAT sports fans??? Going to 5 rugby games a year and knowing the words to a song about Galway???? But not bothering your holes to support a REAL Limerick team.....

But if they were to win, and more and more people started going to the football games, so much so that you weren't able to get a ticket, I am sure you'd be harping on about all the bandwagon supporters for football now they are finally winning something? :rolleyes:
    The fact is some people may actually enjoy rugby and not football has not crossed your mind?

Anyway best of luck to Limerick on Sunday, they'll do us proud no matter what the outcome is.

Advertisement