Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc won't start after moving components to new chassis

Options
  • 02-07-2009 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

I moved my Pc components from one chassis to a better chassis, as far as I can tell I've connected everything up, but it won't power up. I keep looking to see if I've missed out on anything but I can't see that I have.

Everything appears connected up fine - I've checked and double -checked.

Power connected to ATX_12V_2X and ATX.

Here's hoping that I'm missing out on something 'obvious'.

What I'm most worried about is that I've somehow damaged the motherboard.

Sorry, I know this is a pretty open - ended question but I'm at a dead end here, anyone any ideas before I start to testing out my power supply (have to figure out how to do that yet!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

Could be a number of things alright!

You should proabably take everything back out of the case and try powering up to rule out the motherboard shorting off the case somewhere.

Test your power supply independant of the pc by shorting the green connector to any of the black ones and plugging in power. This should start it up. You would probably need a multimeter to test it thoroughly but this should tell you if it's completely goosed or not.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Try taking everything out, laying it on a large piece of cardboard, and set it up there outside the case.

Maybe a bad ground between the board and case. Any lights at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

MarkR wrote: »
    Try taking everything out, laying it on a large piece of cardboard, and set it up there outside the case.

Nope, nothing, no lights at all. I've just found some info that says "check power switch and LED connectors. If they are reversed the system won't start"

Edit: I think I've figured out which ones are postive and negative. There's a little arrow next to the positive according to some googling I've done, so I think I've set it up alright now and no difference :(

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

MarkR wrote: »

I'd try this and reset the Bios.....to start the pc use a screw driver and run it over all the pins i.e. power/restart/hd

i have had problem with a new case before, turns out the power switch was at fault, i use the reset button for power now

Stevo105 wrote: »
    I'd try this and reset the Bios.....to start the pc use a screw driver and run it over all the pins i.e. power/restart/hd

i have had problem with a new case before, turns out the power switch was at fault, i use the reset button for power now

Man, computers can be so frustrating. I really have a feeling it's something minor that I overlooked but I can't see what. The 'new' chassis has been used before btw and it worked fine so unless I damaged it when putting in or taking out stuff it should be still ok.

I'm now thinking one possibility perhaps is that the processor came loose. I have a massive heatsink and when I removed the motherboard from the former I stupidly perhaps lifted out by the heatsink so maybe the processor has come loose?

I dunno if it's any help or not

but the case is a Tsunami Dream. (A nice case but a right pain for fitting the PSU)

And the motherboard is Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P

• Advertisement

Edit : Sorted :D

I dunno why I didn't try it earlier. I had stuff connected up to internal usb and 1394 connectors (probably misplaced one or two of the connectors). I detached the connectors and it's booting up fine now. Thanks for the help, and sorry for my dumbo newbieness :o.

Edit: it was the 1394 connector - what's really annoying is the thing I least needed to have connected up as I have never even made use of it before.

Advertisement