Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA SLT interview??

Options
  • 02-07-2009 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

does anyone here know anything about the interview process for the ma in speech therapy? i know its a group one but just wondering what it involves

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭B1977

not sure if this is any good to you

25-06-2009, 16:44 #2
    giveliberty

Adverts | Friends I did my interview last year, and it was fine. Here are my tips:

Know the Course! Read over the Prospectus, read up on the subjects and have questions prepared to ask - they will ask you your knowledge of the course.

Gather a Portfolio. You may not need one for all courses, but it would be a great idea for others.

Relevant work experience. Talk about your previous work experience that would be relevant to the course. Show a keen interest in applying previous experience in the course.

Be respectful. Just because you may be older than those interviewing you, show respect for them - You'd be amazed the amount of people who get arrogant.

Be prepared for HARD questions! If you have simply played a game of darts with the CAO list and have selected courses that are no way related be prepared to defend your course choices....I know mature students who were mauled over this.

Show dedication. Explain to them again (it will already be in your personal statement) why you want to go to college. Why it is important to you. Explain to them the steps you have taken to prepare yourself for three or four years out of full time employment.

Be formal, but be energetic! It is a formal interview, but your personality will be important also. They want to make sure you will make new friends and participate positively in class discussions. There is nothing more frustrating when a mature student drops out, and leaves a place that could have been filled!

Research into possible career options. You don't have to tell them what you definitely use the new qualification for. But you should show them that you have thought about it, and be motivated to achieve these goals.

Post-grad. No harm in just saying you are interested in following on to a post grad diploma. You may have no interest at all, but they like to know you recognize the importance of research, and they see euro signs too. It also shows that you are committed to a long term objective.

Hope this is some help.

Advertisement