Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online to live advise

Options
  • 02-07-2009 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭

I've had a quick look and can't find a similar thread but apologies if this has already been discussed...

I got into poker through the net (probably the same for most of you!) and have been playing quit a bit of it, but now I would love to try my hand at a bit of live poker. I think (and have heard) that it's a very different experience.

Anyone here done this and able to give me a bit of advise, point out major differences etc? If I'm playing $1/$2 games online what level should i look to be playing live?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

WeeBushy wrote: »
    If I'm playing $1/$2 games online what level should i look to be playing live?
    !

$0.01/$0.02 NL. Or play money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

$0.01/$0.02 NL. Or play money.

Didn't think live play was that much higher of a standard...

Thanks zuutroy. Good thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Didn't think live play was that much higher of a standard...
    Other way round, 1/2 online = 0.01/0.02 Live

It's probably more like 1/2 Live = .10/.20 Online, with the odd decent player dotted around, but you'll spot those guys quick enough, and 1/2 Online = whatever stakes your BR can afford Live...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Ah right was a little confused there! Thanks for clearing that up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭robinblinds

Bring a good book.

Well, I mean be prepared for long pauses, and a lot less hands per hour. You'll find that the biggest difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

If you can handle the boredom and far less hands per hour you'll find the standard at 200pl live to be so so much worse than 200nl online you'll be amazed. It really is around the 20nl standard online, without exaggeration. But you also get far far less hands in per hour and it's much slower to get through hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

If you beat 1/2 online solidly, you could expect to beat 5/10 live if you have the roll. For normal 1/2 online players that are marginal winners to marginal losers, you could expect to beat 2/5 handily enough.

You will however find it hard to find 2/5 games that aren't 1/2/5 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

prepare your head for explosion at the sheer retardness of people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

You will be unlucky of you are sat with someone who can play poker at all. I used to play 25/50 online and then plaY 1/2 PLHE live at the weekend and if I earned less than €800/€900 of a nigjht live I considered myself to have played poorly. basically live is a social ex[periencde not a money making venture, but a time will probably come when you just can'tbe bothered, at least it diod for me after about 3 months. Very nice guys playimng live imo by and large but a watse of time monetarily if you have actual talent. /drunken ramble imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Tony_Montana

Worse standard live you should crush most cash game's but the variance is crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

zuutroy wrote: »
    Good thread this. Lots of solid advise. You do see some ridiculous play and crazy characters.

My only tip is to get used to seeing large amounts of cash flying around. It can be intimidating if you're not used to it.

Advertisement