Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPF

Options
  • 02-07-2009 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

I've been wondering this the last few days, I wear a moisuriser with spf 15 every day. Then I put on a foundation with spf 15 in it also. Does this mean I'm wearing the equivalent on factor 30? Or is it still just 15?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Miskatonic

If you are using 2 products with the same SPF then you will still only have SPF15 protection.

As far as I know, If they are 2 different SPFs then it levels out somewhere in the middle. So if you used 30 and 15 you would end up with somewhere around factor 35-40, not 45.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

No, I'm afraid the SPF just indicates the length of time you can stay in the sun without burning so if you put on the two SPF 15 at the same time, you would still only have SPF15 protection time before skin damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

I don't think they add up. From what I can recall (from the backs of some sunblock bottles!) you only have the amount of SPF as the highest one you put on. So, still factor 15 in your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I agree with the other posters here. Unfortunately spf15 + spf 15 does not equal 30.

However you're still wise to wear your spf suncream or moisturiser along with your makeup. Last year there was a study into the quality of spfs in makeup and they found that cosmetic companies generally use lower grade spfs and the absolute minimum amount of spf chemicals in their mixes.For the most part they use just enough to satisfy advertising standards authorities so they can slap a "spf 15" sticker on their product.

When they efficacy of the spfs in the makeups were tested in clinical conditions it was found that you would need to apply 3, but sometimes up to 7 ,tablespoons of makeup to your face to achieve the sun protection factor that was advertised on the bottle!

I can't find the study right now but it was carried in lots of newspapers and magazines around the time it came out. The moral of the story was not to rely solely on makeup for sun protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭YT

chilly wrote: »
    I agree with the other posters here. Unfortunately spf15 + spf 15 does not equal 30.

However you're still wise to wear your spf suncream or moisturiser along with your makeup. Last year there was a study into the quality of spfs in makeup and they found that cosmetic companies generally use lower grade spfs and the absolute minimum amount of spf chemicals in their mixes.For the most part they use just enough to satisfy advertising standards authorities so they can slap a "spf 15" sticker on their product.

When they efficacy of the spfs in the makeups were tested in clinical conditions it was found that you would need to apply 3, but sometimes up to 7 ,tablespoons of makeup to your face to achieve the sun protection factor that was advertised on the bottle!

I can't find the study right now but it was carried in lots of newspapers and magazines around the time it came out. The moral of the story was not to rely solely on makeup for sun protection.

Amen to that.

Can't believe the amount of people who don't wear any at all! My dad was never strict, but the one thing he was militant about was suncream.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭catch88

My dermatologist told me (not sure if its true() but that its not just the rays from the sun that you only need concern yourself with but also the shiz thats emitted from your computer, heavy duty lights (i work in a store) etc So even though we barely get sun in ireland its still a good idea if you have fair skin to put on an spf every day.

I wear factor 50...yes 50 every single day and look alot younger for it too! :D

Advertisement